Author Topic: Trackwork for remainder of 2006  (Read 1960 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Trackwork for remainder of 2006
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Trackwork for remainder of 2006 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
There's still a fair amount of stone left at Sheepscot.  I think this should be reserved for use on the existing line.

Also there's an amount of gravel.  What we don't finish with at Albee's Crossing we might want to use in widening roadbed areas where there are retaining walls?

I'd like to have a Section 1 workday on November 11.  We can replace those marked ties, I'd like to do some jacking and tamping on the main track by the station and the siding track that we moved over, plus it would be nice to line track.  Anyone up for it?

That stone could be dumped north of Phantom crossing - and have the railroad jacked up again.

Steve Smith replied:
I'm up for it--can feed ballast to the tampers and carry and work jacks.

James Patten replied:
Zack is OK with leaving the stone at Sheepscot as long as we get it out of there before freezing - which we should assume will be the tail end of November or early December.

Also regarding the gravel - one more load will be enough for Albee's Crossing.  The rest he suggested should go up to the stone storage area at AC.  It can't be used for retaining wall elimination because it has no clay and will be easily washed away.

Allan Fisher replied:
All the gravel and most of the stone was spread this Saturday.

About one flat car load of stone remains at Sheepscot to use on fixing present low joints.

Dana Deering replied:
In addition, guys,

I would like to replace two bent rails near MP6 so the trains no longer have to slow down on that upgrade approach.  This means finding a couple of 56 lb rails with bolt holes that match.  I took a quick measure over the work weekend and the holes are two and a half inches and seven and a half inches on center from the rail ends.  I am hoping that either the two rails that Dwight and Brad straightened will match or maybe two of the godd rails from the chair factory which are on the pile of rail we used for the track laying.

I would also like to once again fix the Slow Order section north of Phantom crossing and raise a number of low jonts in Davis Cut on Section 2.  I think if we concentrate on these track chores we can get them done before freeze up.

Dana

Joe Fox replied:
Hi everybody,

I noticed last year that the ballast near mile post six is still at the top of the rail head. This is not a good thing because when we were running light with #10, we nearly had the tender truck derail due to frozen ballast up tight to the rail head. I tried removing some of the ballast some time this past summer, and only got back about 5 feet before we had to go further north. I think it would be good if we could get that fixed before the first snow fall, however, that is just my opinion.

Joe

James Patten replied:
Dana, I'm hoping that the remaining stone at Sheepscot (less than a carload) can be saved and used around on the yard: the stub switch, the Bay 3 switch which you jacked a couple of months ago, and for use on the newly moved run-around track.  I plan to do this on November 11.

Ballast was spread Saturday north of Phantom Crossing.  We ballasted to the top of the ties, for about half the distance of the slow order.  Hopefully you can concentrate on that next weekend.

Josh Botting replied:
Is there still a plan to do track work on Nov. 11?

Joe Fox replied:
What is being done on the 11 for track work?

James Patten replied:
November 11 is a Section 1 day.  I plan to:

- level and tamp track by the platform

- level and tamp what was the team track and is now the runaround track (where we moved it is untamped).

- replace ties (if there's crew enough)

- ballast by the station, on the runaround track, on the switch to Bay 3, and whatever's left can go where ever needed (which won't be much).

If there were a whole lot of people, it would be nice to line the track too.

Joe Fox replied:
Sorry I won't be able to make it James. I would like to, but I am busy until the end of the month, or first weekend of December.

James Patten replied:
I prevailed upon Zack to purchase another truckload of stone.  It arrived this morning.  This extra stone can be used where Dana jacked between Davis and Sutter's last weekend, where it will probably be all used up.

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks for the info James. I hope you guys get all of the track work done that you plan and want to get done. Talk to you later.

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
Everyone should remember the hunter orange.  Also no brown leather jackets or coveralls with white gloves for waiving to hunters..........

Stewart Rhine replied:
This message has been brought to you by Target.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum