Author Topic: AMTP in Pithiviers, France  (Read 137024 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: AMTP in Pithiviers, France
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2022, 08:30:24 AM »
OTHER GOOD NEWS FROM PITHIVIERS
First the AMTP's facilites located in Pithiviers that comprise the depot the museum the engineshed and the carbarn that belong to the French National Rrailroad Company-SNCF- will be soon purchased by the Communauté de Communes du Pithiverais- CCDP. The CCDP is a local authority that gathers the mayor of Pithiviers and the ones of 29 small towns  located in the area. The CCDP is especially the appropriate authority as regards the local tourism and it will be a better landlord than SNCF that has been delaying the upkeep of the buildings for a few years so they are now in disrepair. It wont be the case with the new owner that is interested in supporting the association since AMTP is the main tourist attraction of the area.
The second good piece of news is more personal. In February AMTP baught 26 US tons of coal that comes from Wales. According to the firemen it burns and heats as well as the Russian coal thas was used over the past few years ,see reply 176 above. Moreover the Welsh coal is a boone for me and maybe for a few photographers because, contrary to the Russian one, it smokes a lot. It's really a "railfan coal" that reminds me of the heyday of the AMTP.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2022, 08:46:58 AM »
This one maybe taken on the engine shed yard in last April when the Mallet just arrived in Pithiviers. Since then it has gotten a coat of black paint.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:50:27 AM by ALAIN DELASSUS »

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »
 And  this one " painted black " a few days later in front of the museum.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »
Alain,
Do my eyes deceive me or is your new Mallet have both inside and outside frame drivers?

In the few days for your Mallet to receive paint I see it also received a headlight and marker lights.

Quick work.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2022, 09:43:43 AM »
I believe there is a similar mallet at the Cripple Creek & Victor in Colorado.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2022, 10:44:34 AM »
I wonder how you managed to get Welsh steam coal when the railroads in the UK aren't able to get it!

You might be able to make a little income on the side by importing Welsh coal and exporting it back to the UK heritage lines!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2022, 12:52:48 PM »
I believe there is a similar mallet at the Cripple Creek & Victor in Colorado.

Jeff S.
somewhere in my archives I have photos of the Cripple Creek & Victor locomotives.  I thought they had two mallet's, neither of which was running when I was there.  I think they were German locomotives that they acquired via Mexico.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2022, 02:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the images of the Mallet loco, Alain. I'll bet it's cool to see it underway!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2022, 07:54:45 AM »
Checking the CC&V site, one mallet is an O&K, the other a Bagnall.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Yes a quick cosmetic job was done by two volunteers that are really TPT buffs. The day after the Mallet arrived they hit the brushes to paint it in black that was the color of the TPT steam locomotives. The headlight and the marker  are genuine TPT parts there are still a few of them in the  spare part store close to the shop. As regards the coal I asked the AMTP's President that told me that the Welsh coal had been baught by a French import export company before the closedown of the last  coalmine  and stocked near Cracovie in Poland from where a Polish truck hauled it packaged in very big bags to Pithiviers. Thank you for the information about the Creeple Creek and Victor I checked their site and found on the internet a few pics of their Mallet that has been americanized but ther is no doubting the both steam locomotives are the same with their weird inside and outside frame drivers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:23:01 AM by ALAIN DELASSUS »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2022, 06:19:11 AM »
Hi Alain,

Would you mind giving a synopsis of the track work that is being reported for your railroad on Facebook?  It appears to be pre-built panels but I’m not clear if this is a relay, an extension of the line, or a remote installation.  I noted truck transportation of several pieces of stock as well.  I truly apologize that my French isn’t any better than it is…

No rush- is just a curiosity,
Thanks
Jason

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2022, 07:04:22 AM »
Hi Jason
Next weekend Terres de Jim  the biggest open-field agricultural show in Europe will be held in Outarville (Loiret) a small town  close to Pithiviers. You can find further information on their web site lesterresdejim.com. To serve the different facilities  and parts of the show  an oval of portable track 1 mile long has been laid around it. Two steam locomotives and few open passenger cars and freight cars have been carried on flat tailers hauled by  farm tractors  from Bellébat our end station to Outarville. One hundred thousand visitors are expected and there will be a very special VIP that will visit the show on Friday afternoon and ride the train. as it has been planned but you never know but if this VIP does it it'll be an unheard-of event in the history of the French tourist RW and of course in the one of the AMTP. I ''l'll keep you posted and thank you for being  interesting in what is going on in Pithiviers.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2022, 07:12:27 AM »
A few more pics of that temporary relocation of our RW.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2022, 07:58:57 AM »
Ah, thank you so much for your prompt reply, Alain!  A major undertaking for a temporary endeavor- it sounds like a major event.  Does this mean your main railway is closed for the duration of the event?

Your VIP teaser is quite the head scratcher…

Thanks very much,
Jason

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »
Yes the Musee des Transports de Pithiviers will be closed next Sunday. The involvement of the AMTP in that agricultural show that will have a nation wide media coverage is an exellent and free of charge advertisement. By the way the two locomotives will be fired with compressed sawdust logs the same I use in my fireplace at home So much for the pillars of black smoke. Funny isn't it.