Author Topic: AMTP in Pithiviers, France  (Read 77955 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: AMTP in Pithiviers, France
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
 SAD NEWS FROM PITHIVIERS
After the lift of the second general stay-at-home order in January works had actively resumed at AMTP. Steam engine #9 had been taken down again on its wheelset- see reply above - and its breaking run in  earlyMarch was troublefree. The combine car had been overhauled and repainted and important trackworks had been carried out in the site of Béllébat the end station where 120 ties had been changed in March. The two steam locomotives still in runnnig order had passed  their understeam mandatory test and everything was ready for the Easter Eggs Hunting Specials scheduled  tomorrow and Monday that is a legal holiday in France, which woud have been the kick- off of the 2021 operating season.
Sad to say but France is under a general lockdown  again- the third one-  as of this evening for at least 4 weeks .The AMTP's President has consequently cancelled the trains until further notice and of course the museum will stay closed as well. Every volunteer and member is very much disappointed  not to say dispirited  and  wonder if the association will be able to  weather a second shortened operating season. When will we begin to see daylight outhere ?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2021, 06:19:01 PM »
Alain,
I’m on pins and needles that the same thing will happen here. So far so good. Vaccinations are up at least. Our thoughts are with our good friends at the AMPT.
Dave

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »
Well said Dave.

Alain, We are all concerned about our sister museums and, of course our friends in France 🇫🇷.

From one who was married in Norte Dame de Paris 28 years ago.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2021, 03:09:00 AM »
Thank you so much Dave and Bill for your kind words and sympathy.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2021, 02:46:57 AM »
THE DWINDLING AMTP STEAM LOCOMOTIVE STOCK
In reply #179 I told you only two out of five steam locomotives were still up and running and explained the reasons why the the others were not anymore and would not be before long. That rather new situation is a real concern for the AMTP leadership and myself as regards the setting up of Steam Festivals and other big occasions. With only two steam locomotives  you can't set up a worthy of the name Steam Festival even if the small 151 year old #2 is going around the loop in Bellébat endstation. Of course, the solution to that lack of home steam locomotives is to invite other tourist railway steam engines. That is what AMTP did over the past few years  in particular when it celebrated its 50th Anniversary five years ago. But there is always a down side to everything. If having one or two guest steam locomotives around is certainly a plus to the visitors and volunteers one must admit that it has an heavy cost. The host association must pay for the haulage, the insurances and mostly accomodations for the engine crew let alone a lot of paperwork. If unfortunately, mostly on account of poor weather conditions , the big event does not live up to expectations as regards the ridership, the upshot is a more or less substancial waste of money like it was the case  for the AMTP 50th Anniversary Festival. So considering the current C19 crisis and its financial aftermath does not help matters as regards funding heavy repairs I'm a bit afraid that I'll no more attend to the big -steamy- events I was so happy to take part in over those past forty years and I'm also sad for the young AMTP's volunteers that wont maybe experience such exciting and inspiring big occasions.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2021, 10:31:35 AM »
THE DWINDLING AMTP STEAM LOCOMOTIVE STOCK
......That rather new situation is a real concern for the AMTP leadership and myself as regards the setting up of Steam Festivals and other big occasions. With only two steam locomotives  you can't set up a worthy of the name Steam Festival...
I wonder what the optimal number of locomotives for a festival is. I propose the number is three or four. The expense and operational difficulty (event setup) becomes too burdensome for added visitor enjoyment and optimum ticket price beyond that. If AMTP had three operating locomotives, that might be the ideal number.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2021, 09:08:07 AM »
 John thank you so much for replying. I agree with you  three steam locomotives are the basic number to set up a Steam Festival. As long as you run only home steam locomotives there is almost  no limit provided that there are not more than four trains at the same time running on the main. With a well planned schedule and traincrews that stick to it everything technically runs like clockwork.  Over those past 55 years a lot of big events have amply gone to show that volunteers, rollingstock and facilities of AMTP were able to set up and achieve them successfully.  For now the issue is  both  technical and financial. Technical because the AMTP steam locomotives boilers are very old and a few of them are in poor conditions. In short term as rules and regulations are more and more stringent as regards the boilers  the only solution will be to fit up our locomotives with new boilers. Financial issue because for the time being AMTP- all the more reason with the C19 crisis-  can't afford to repair a boiler  let alone to have a new boiler make even if the expense may be partly funded by subsidies from the French Culture Department that can only reach 40 % of the amount of the bill at the most. As for funding the new boilers by donations from individuals or companies it does not work out a lot in France. So in short AMTP is currently in a sort of a deadlock as regards its steam powers. Have a good weekend