Author Topic: OMG! You can get Moxie in PA......  (Read 31132 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: OMG! You can get Moxie in PA......
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2022, 06:13:17 PM »
Actually, I am relieved that Orca is making Moxie the right way.  Looks like I'm no longer needed to bootleg Moxie from PA.  Good thing - Those Revenuers are getting faster and faster cars and it's only a matter of time before they catch up to my hot rod truck.   :o ::) ;D 
Moxie Bootlegger

Dante Lakin

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2022, 07:08:24 PM »
I swear Orca Moxie tastes more like Coca Cola Moxie than it does Catawissa Moxie. It's a blend between the two, but almost like 2/3rds Coke, 1/3 Catawissa.

And on another note, The Way Way Store in Saco, Maine sells Catawissa Moxie by the case ($30 for 24 bottles) or by the bottle ($2.5 per bottle or so). How they get it I have no clue.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2022, 12:04:37 PM »
Interesting observation Dante.  I know from speaking directly with the Catawissa owners that the syrup they use to make their Moxie has the same ingredients and proportions that was used back in 1923. (year of the bottling agreement)  If your claim of a different taste from Orca is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then someone is "cheating" on the formula.  Now as far as $30/case for Catawissa Moxie, that is actually very reasonable considering the cost of transportation these days.  Since cheap Diesel is now over $6.25/gal here in PA, I would not be surprised that prices will be going up again.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2022, 05:17:18 PM »
The Catawissa Moxie is $18 a case at the bottling plant, so $30 for a case in Saco isn't that bad (I was charging $25 a case when I made 2 trips in April that essentially paid for my gas to\from the plant).

I think the Catawissa Moxie uses a little bit less of everything. It tastes more subdued than either of the alternatives. Not as sweet, and certainly not as bitter. It's something I can drink even when it's warm, which is not something I can say about the Orca or Coke varieties.

The only difference between the Orca\Cornicopia Moxie and the Coca Cola Moxie (other than the bottle\can difference) that I can discern is the cane sugar\corn syrup. The Orca doesn't have the same cloying mouthfeel that the Coca Cola version has.

(*note: I can't seem to find the corroborating evidence to suggest this is actually the case, but bear with me for a short story.)

Supposedly at some point in the soda jerk days when Moxie was still popular, the formula was tweaked to either increase the amount of genetian root extract (the thing that gives Moxie it's "distinctively different" taste) or cut the sugar levels of the drink. This had an adverse affect on it's popularity. I think the Orca\Coke uses this stronger ratio than the Catawissa version does.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Russ Nelson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2023, 09:47:34 AM »
I brought two cases of Catawissa Moxie to SWW2023, and they were gone in two days. Clearly I need to bring three cases next time!

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2023, 12:39:39 AM »
I was able to get Moxie at the hardware store in Minnetonka,MN

Pure Cane Sugar. $2.50 a bottle last week.

Bottle by Orca Beverage Inc. in Mukilteo, Wa.   Under authority.

Have no opened it yet - waiting for a special occasion.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2023, 04:33:25 PM »
Bill/Russ,

Thanks for bringing the Moxie to SWW.  Since my travels are quite restricted right now I'm glad to see that someone has picked up the torch and is carrying it on for me.  Looks like I'll have to transfer the Moxie Bootlegger moniker to one of you two as I get more retired.
Moxie Bootlegger