Author Topic: New (old) Video of SR&RL Posted on YouTube.  (Read 6943 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
New (old) Video of SR&RL Posted on YouTube.
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen this film before. Periscope Films just posted 20+ minutes of SR&RL action. Find it and others on the WW&F YouTube Channel, Historic Footage playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhueGxKI2naXYIQlKmCQnIJMDY4dIrIiK

FYI, every WW&F-related video on YouTube is part of a playlist on our channel. Many perfectly good hours can be wasted at: https://www.youtube.com/c/WWFRailway
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:38:10 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: New (old) Video of SR&RL Posted on YouTube.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »
It's an excerpt of the Newell Martin film from the 1930s, otherwise available on "The Sandy River Line" DVD. So not new, but amazing viewing nonetheless. (The railbus ride on the P&R through Sanders, Perham Jct., and then up Sluice Hill beginning at 10:47 is my favorite part.)

Hunt Dowse

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
My family has a camp near Farmington, ME so I'm familiar with most of the SR&RLRR including the segment Philip mentioned.  In fact, a few years ago my so and I ran from Reeds along Orbeton Stream up the grade all the way to the crossing into Redington, where we were careful to stop at the Navy's sign prohibiting access into their survival area.  One part I recall is when my son, a ways ahead, came jogging back, thinking he was being a good guy and checking on his Dad, he exclaimed, 'there's a moose on the trail, what do we do?'  I suggested we make lots of noise and keep going.  The moose ambled off into the woods paying us no attention.
A few years after that, I hiked up the grade but found it badly overgrown after Sluice Hill since the snowmobile trail had been rerouted and no one was taking care of the brush.  Anyone been up there recently?

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:37:05 AM »
Was that the reroute shown on North Woods Law?