Author Topic: The end of the WW&F  (Read 7045 times)

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
The end of the WW&F
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
The entire line was abandoned and the rails were removed for scrap in 1934 after a paint company called in an unpaid line of credit.

Which paint company? Was it Sherwin-Williams?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: The end of the WW&F
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
I'm not sure; I suppose you could ask Sherwin-Williams.

Seriously, I believe it was Sherwin-Williams.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »
Dupont? It is written somewhere..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
I need a set of Mark I eyeballs to confirm the information please....I know it is out there, I saw it, but I can't seem to tease it out of the internet today.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
Moody doesn't specify who it was. He simply refers to "the paint company." However, Jones and Register in "Two Feet to Tidewater" state "Just after Labor Day 1934, Frank Winter hired local labor to begin lifting the rails at the Albion end.... When the crew reached Wiscasset yard during the last week of December, the mainline was no more. Only sidings and auxiliary trackage was in place...." Page 219

No mention of some paint company or outstanding bills.

Which account is true?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:10:59 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Paul Levesque

• Flagman
  • Too many interests too little time.
    • View Profile
    • My FB Page (this is it for now)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
No liens on this in Kennebec County between the railroad and Sherwin-Williams or even Frank Winter and his associates / associations, not any real liens to speak of involving the railroad.

I believe I have seen it referred to as a court judgement concerning a Portland paint company, so when I can get to it I will pop into the courts in Cumberland county and Lincoln and Kennebec as well to see what can be pulled up.
P. Levesque
Fairfield, ME

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
No liens on this in Kennebec County between the railroad and Sherwin-Williams or even Frank Winter and his associates / associations, not any real liens to speak of involving the railroad.

I believe I have seen it referred to as a court judgement concerning a Portland paint company, so when I can get to it I will pop into the courts in Cumberland county and Lincoln and Kennebec as well to see what can be pulled up.

Thanks for looking Paul & Wayne. I'm trying to do some due diligence on something I have been working on for Ed and the Bridge Campaign. It doesn't need a ton of research, I'll just drop the reference to the company name.

I agree with Mike, I saw it somewhere. The problem is finding it again and making sure it is a reliable source.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »
I FOUND IT!  Quoting Harry himself ... WW&F Newsletter, September 1997 issue, Page 5.

The track from Albion to Head Tide had been taken up in the fall of 1934 to satisfy a lien placed on the main line rails by Sherwin Williams Paint Company to secure payment for paint.

I had mentioned that I had read everything  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:36:44 PM by Alex Harvilchuck »