Author Topic: 2017 Fall Work Weekend Projects  (Read 13890 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
2017 Fall Work Weekend Projects
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
At Saturday's board meeting we set some projects for the Fall Work Weekend:

* Construction of a retaining wall for Humason Trestle south side.  This is very important, we've been promising it to our bridge inspector for years.
* Construct ToM mill spur to the tree line, stone, level and tamp it.  Tamp the track up the Mountain from the Spring.
* Lining crew on the mainline to align track.  Need bodies for this.
* Replace the crappy Percival house doors with new, and build a ramp from the parking lot to the west side door.  Rebuild the stairs to the north side door.
* #10's boiler flanging.
* Stone the woods track.
* Level and tamp the yard track leading to the turntable.

Placing the concrete posts under the Sheepscot platform was mentioned but I don't recall if it was decided to do it or not.  Also shop cleanup was mentioned too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:00:26 AM by James Patten »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Fall Work Weekend Porjects
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
These are little things and I don't know how important this is to everyone, but I would like to make a small adjustment to the North Yard Track 3 switch.  I also found a longer throw rod that will allow me to relocate the TOM woods track switch stand further away from the track.  Right now it is so close that brakemen have to be careful if they are riding on that side of the locomotive.

The first task won't take but an hour or two (considering rounding up tools and things).  The second needs two men and will take a couple of hours once we get all the tools to TOM.  This of course doesn't allow for going back for the tool that I forgot to bring.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
...I also found a longer throw rod that will allow me to relocate the TOM woods track switch stand further away from the track.  Right now it is so close that brakemen have to be careful if they are riding on that side of the locomotive...

Thank you!
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:22:24 AM »
I thought it was discussed that there will also be Mainline Maintenance. More than just lining.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »
I would rather tamp main line spots in areas where we are able and do the yard at a later time for a few reasons. Typically there are enough people to help in the yard, and work in the yard will be fairly decent. Maybe we can do the yard stuff prior to work weekend?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:58:24 AM »
My reasoning behind lining was to use the crew efficiently while the tamper is engaged on the mountain and mill spur.  Maybe I forgot to mention that to the board?  In any event it wasn't intended to negate main line maintenance- but acknowledge the fact that the tamper is engaged in other work, and lining needs a large crew (where tamping does not).

The thought on the yard tracks was the connection to the new floor.  As I recall, the discussion was just we hope this is done ahead of time, but if it's not, it is therefore late and overdue, so a priority.  It was purposely listed as a lower priority than main line work.

Once this gets battered around here a bit I'll write a daily work schedule (always flexible, of course).  I do love spreadsheets...

See ya
Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:04 AM »
During my post-op stooper, I decided that if I could live in a spreadsheet, I'd be an open parenthesis symbol, because there's just so many possibilities in there...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
...I also found a longer throw rod that will allow me to relocate the TOM woods track switch stand further away from the track.  Right now it is so close that brakemen have to be careful if they are riding on that side of the locomotive...

Thank you!

I double that Thank You!

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Fall Work Weekend Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:40 PM »
As a former ATSF 3-summer switchman, I third that motion.
Am curious as to why some? of the old switch stands' handles make you stand between them and the track to throw. Not a safe sit-u-ay-shun, especially after dark.  :-\
Paul Uhland

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
Hi Paul, I don't recall that we have any high mainline switch stands that you stand between the switch stand and the track. You stand to the side and move the stand handle away or towards the tracks.   

MMMMM! we do have one or two very low yard switch's If they have a stand it only a few inches tall. Guess you could lean over and line the switch while standing near the tracks. These low switches are located in Sheepcot lower yard.
dwight

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
OK. Am used to ATSF-style high stands with handles turned behind the stand, opposite the track.
Your low ones must be 'ground-throw' switches, not bend-over spine-friendly :P, that youz guys are trying to eliminate for historical correctness?
Today, new switches have vertical, safety yellow "banjo-style" handles with extreme bending over no longer needed!  ;D

Some useless trivia...the Pettibone-Mulliken company made loads of switches used by ATSF.  ;)

Some day I'll visit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:38:36 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
Any updates to the FWW schedule?

Jeff S.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
Nancy Weeks will be serving breakfasts Saturday through Monday.  So there's no excuse to not get to the railroad at the crack of dawn!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
Nancy Weeks will be serving breakfasts Saturday through Monday.  So there's no excuse to not get to the railroad at the crack of dawn!

That's motivation for people to get there early.

Any new projects on the schedule?

Jeff S.

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
As much as I am forever grateful to Nancy for the contributions she has made (and continues to make) to the Museum, let us not lose sight of the fact that we have always (sometimes smugly) patted ourselves on the back about how much we have contributed to the local economy. While I now live in the immediate area and no longer stay at local motels nor eat breakfast out, some of these local business owners look forward to our participation (You don't think Tina at Ship's puts out WW&F mugs on the table year 'round, do you?) and while I personally feel that the Wiscasset Woods Lodge (the old Wiscasset Motor Lodge of Bill and Nancy Gillies fame) shot themselves in the foot by deciding not to open until May, it should not herald a sea change in Museum volunteer's interaction with the locals. That's IMHO (which I just discovered means "In my humble opinion" Ain't the internet grand?) Of course, like my Dad used to say, maybe I should just "save my breath to cool my soup". You decide.
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.