Author Topic: September 2017 work planning  (Read 38369 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
September 2017 work planning
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of September 2 (Labor Day Weekend):

* Mountain ROW culvert work: see Mike.
* Bay 2 & 3: Prep for concrete.
* Track maint: stone delivery?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: September 2017 work planning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:17 AM »
If we have any luck today, it'd be good to do some track ballast dressing on Saturday.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
As I perceive standard trackwork terms regardless of gauge---

*tamping means packing cracked, non-rounded ballast rock under and around ties to lock track rigidly in place and permit quick moisture drainage, particularly at wooden ties.
*aligning means to nudge track into straight 'tangents', or smooth, proper arcs at desired curves.
*leveling is jacking or lowering rails and ties to eliminate short dips or rises...
*regulating means to 'dress' ballast level, usually to tie tops, using mechanical rotary brooms, and securely sloping ballast at tie ends to prevent undermining.

These days, whole track maintenance trains perform most of the formerly backbreaking, manual track repair/replacement, using lasers and loads of clever, mechanical elements.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:16:43 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
That is correct Paul. Currently only one method is done by machine on our line. As we continue to grow, the need for more track machines grows as most of the younger generation do not want to do any "volunteer" service or labor. In my opinion people who volunteer time should get a tax deduction for providing a service to a nln profit organization which would help influence mofe people to volunteer I think.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
In my opinion people who volunteer time should get a tax deduction for providing a service to a non profit organization which would help influence more people to volunteer I think.

While one should always consult with their tax advisor* on such matters, travel expenses to/from the museum (including meals) are fully tax deductible as a charitable donation. This includes miles traveled by car, or even airfare, and lodging. The only catch is that the trip must be for the sole purpose of volunteering at the museum (no other activities.)

I have been taking this deduction for many years without a problem. I also confirmed with my tax advisor* that airfare is deductible (when it appeared that I was moving to Florida). For those who itemize their tax return, this can quickly amount to some serious value.

Value of services rendered, however, are not tax deductible. Of course monetary and material donations are also tax deductible.

(*In my case, my tax advisor happens to be my mom, who has worked for H&R Block during tax season for about 15 years.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »
Yes, but it would be nice if they would say, every hour of volunteer time is equal to some kind of $ amount lower than minimum wage for tax deduction purposes. That would be more incentive for people to volunteer because it would further their tax deductions.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Non-profit volunteering tax deduction makes sense to me, particularly as I've discovered trackwork is HARD, while helping build panel track to place and work on the huge 8-wheel trucks of 2926's tender while its body and oil tank were lifted  and cribbed during early rebuild.
Such compensation  should help attract young railfans, used to an easier life these days than their elders.  ;)

Scraping out sand/fuel oil asphalt-like coating under the fuel tank,  also thousands of pounds of  scale buildup on all internal tender/water baffles wasn't exactly chuckles, either.  :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:14:32 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
Like Ed and others, we also took the itemizing route with my taxes when we were working. We were easily able to get above the minimum amount needed to have deductions that surpassed what "Uncle Sam" gives those who do the short form. The money spent for travel, room and board on work weekends as well as donations at the museum really made a difference. Now that Barb and I are both retired, we have found there are not enough deductions even with our donations of time and effort at the museum and other spots. We still make our museum donations and help such as we can but we no longer get a tax benefit from doing so. One of the few non-benefits of being retired. LOL

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
Work done on Saturday September 2:

* Culvert: Mike continued work to bury the culvert.  Zack came up to inspect the work, with Fred and I, and later we walked down the hill part of the way to see the spots that will need work.
* Ties: Fred started back up the hill early, so when Zack and I got back up to the top he had moved the flatcar onto the spur and wanted us to take off the ties.  We stacked them next to the spur.  Later Fred and crew reloaded the flatcar with the ties stored by the roundhouse run-thru track.
* Stone: Some stone was also piled on the flatcar, it was unloaded on the former Track 7/Turntable approach track.

Car shop bays 2 and 3 were taped off, with the track trench excavated and concrete track support blocks in place.  Two rails were inside, the rest were outside.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »
Additional Saturday work:

*  More ties:  The Jenga pile of ties that had been used to support the second floor/roof of the shop building while the steel I-beams were installed and had ended up by the engine house run-through track were loaded onto a flatcar in the morning.  Fred later treated the cut ends.
*  The brush on the right-of-way on the Head Tide embankment and a short distance into the cut was cut this afternoon. 
*  Nancy made a very nice lunch of BLTs and various desserts.  We were distracted while loading ties onto the flatcar by the smell of bacon cooking outside on the grill!

It was another beautiful late summer day in Maine, weather-wise.  Looks like the train had a steady moderate number of riders.
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:58:27 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Sept 9:

* Culvert work: Mike has to finish the big culvert and start on the small ones.
* Track work: Stone delivery to somewhere?  Or tamping somewhere?
* Car shop prep: last week rails needed to be prepped before the concrete could be poured around them, some of this probably still needs to happen.
* Board meeting Saturday evening starting at 4.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Mike needs to add at least a foot of backfill on the Fossell pipe before starting on the next smaller washouts...lots of trackwork  to do...shop track rail re-sets need prep (?).

So, concrete floor pouring starts when?
Paul Uhland

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »
FYI, rails were prepped today.  Concrete vendor arrived to assess extent of job and volume of concrete.  Monday will be a prep day (polyethylene layer, steel mesh, etc.)  Pouring will depend on availability of a concrete pump -- prob Thursday or Friday.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
Current plan is to do track work next week on Monday & Wednesday. Monday will be track work around the shop in case our help is needed with pouring. Wednesday the plan is to do more main line surfacing like we did middle of last week.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
I believe the contractor is going to be putting wire mesh down on Monday. I think they are going to do that themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm usually never wrong!