Author Topic: 37th National Narrow Gauge Convention  (Read 10913 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: 37th National Narrow Gauge Convention
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »
I am willing to help organize, however I may not be able to help man anything during said Convention. (Frank and Lee both said they are happy to help provide pointers to anyone wishing to do it) It would be great to have it in Maine again. I think Augusta is a great location, everyone really seemed happy with accesibility everywhere. Portland did not get much for attendance this year, but that was most likely due to no steam.

Göran Engström

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »
I agree that the Convention last year was a very good one. There was only a few things that I wanted in another way.
Because of the WWF tour we missed the Conventions Lobster Dinner. We know that and it was our choice and it was a great choice.

All the time it was a struggle between choices and you can´t get them all.
When the Convention was over I found out that I could have continued for another four days. That´s a very good credit for the 2016 NNGC.

If you could make something together that would of course take a lot of efforts. But it could also give a lot back to the four museums.

Göran

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
James,

Contact Lee Rainey regarding information about organizing a committee. He did a fantastic job and may be willing to act as a consultant.

If the museums decide to make a bid for 2022, you will need to send a group to the convention in Minneapolis/St.Paul, next year.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »
Good going Jeff, thanks.
I finally got out of the hospital last Thursday.
I am on the mend and much better as well as mobile.

My pleasure, Ira. Glad to hear you are out of the hospital.

Jeff S.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »
Could always file the paperwork to create a non-profit that exists just to host the convention. Have each of the museums own 25%. It's a way to isolate the liability and the surplus profits can be donated to the non-profit museums that hold the seats on the board.

It's an excellent marketing opportunity.

That is what the committee did for last year's convention.

Jeff S.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:53 AM »
I forgot to mention that, if Maine were to get the 2022 bid for the convention, a delegation would be required to go each of the conventions preceding 2022.  Those locations are:

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 2018
Sacramento - 2019
St. Louis - 2020
Hickory, NC - 2021

Jeff S.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
Could always file the paperwork to create a non-profit that exists just to host the convention. Have each of the museums own 25%. It's a way to isolate the liability and the surplus profits can be donated to the non-profit museums that hold the seats on the board.

Jeff S.

So does that non profit still exist from last year's convention? Makes things a lot easier re-using the corporate entity and saves a lot of time.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Jeff S.

Alex,

I can check with Lee Rainey, the committee chairman, but I have a feeling that the non-profit is no longer.

Jeff S.

So does that non profit still exist from last year's convention? Makes things a lot easier re-using the corporate entity and saves a lot of time.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
I contacted Lee Rainey, regarding the non-profit. Here is his reply.

Yes, it still exists, and is scheduled to do so through 2019. We were advised for liability reasons to keep it alive for three years after the convention.

I'm not sure how "reusable" it is. After all, its name is "36th National Narrow Gauge Convention, Inc." though very little of the legal verbiage emphasizes the 2016 event specifically.

However, creating such a corporation is very easy in Maine and very cheap and we could explain how to do it.

Lee

Lee also has cost information for last year's NNGC, and is willing to provide it, if James' proposal goes forward. He is excited to hear that a grassroots effort has begun to bring the NNGC back to Maine.

I still have the list of modular layout that were at the convention, as well as contacts for each. I can check with the Clinics chairman and Vendors chairman to see if they still have their information.

Jeff S.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
If anyone is coming to Mpls next year let me know.
We are 45 min. west.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
I contacted Lee Rainey, regarding the non-profit. Here is his reply.

Yes, it still exists, and is scheduled to do so through 2019. We were advised for liability reasons to keep it alive for three years after the convention.

I'm not sure how "reusable" it is. After all, its name is "36th National Narrow Gauge Convention, Inc." though very little of the legal verbiage emphasizes the 2016 event specifically.

However, creating such a corporation is very easy in Maine and very cheap and we could explain how to do it.

Lee

Lee also has cost information for last year's NNGC, and is willing to provide it, if James' proposal goes forward. He is excited to hear that a grassroots effort has begun to bring the NNGC back to Maine.

I still have the list of modular layout that were at the convention, as well as contacts for each. I can check with the Clinics chairman and Vendors chairman to see if they still have their information.

Jeff S.

Usually the IRS paperwork for 501(c)(3) is more of a pain to file, but there is time before 2022.
It's just a matter of filing the paperwork to change the name with the DoS.

My point was to have a shared entity between the 4 museums whose sole purpose is to put bids in for the convention to be held in Maine on a regular basis. It is another way where the organizations can help each other and promote everyone's mission.