Author Topic: July 2017 Work Planning  (Read 34941 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: July 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »
I am on call tomorrow, but still hope to be down for the morning to do track work prep such as cut and drill a rail for future use. 4 guys would be good, but 2 of us should be ok if needed. My plan is to coordinate with my dads crew so we dont interfere with them. We HAVE got to start working on the main line. I can't seem to stress enough how important this is that we start working on it. The last several years have been very laxed and we need to take action before it gets to be too much work for us to handle.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
Hi Joe,

I suspect it'll be hard for you to get out on the main tomorrow.  Tell you what: if you get that rail prepped tomorrow, we'll install it Tuesday.  Also thinking of starting some tie changing.

Desperate for the tamper; soon as it's done, we'll start hitting low joints.  Hydraulics are done; need to finish Brakes and get compressor running properly. 

Amongst other things...

Jason

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »
Tie replacement can be done using the Kubota.  We changed out 400 ties using a tractor mounted backhoe. After spikes are pulled, you straddle the track and push tie up to rail using side of bucket.  Then you reach over to other end of the tie and with the points of the bucket to pull tie out.  Older ties work great because you can really stick the points in. It's slick with practice.  Ties can be inserted using the bucket like cupped hand.  It took us longer to pull the spikes and get the tie plates out the way, then did to pull/replace the tie.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:08 PM »
That will work out good Jason. I can devote some time on Tuesday morning to do the rail swap before going to a doctor appointment that day as well. My actual goal is to prep the rail, and find more joint bars.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »
Getting fired up reading all the work preps.  :D
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Work done on Saturday July 15:

* Car shop: All rails and most ties have been removed from Bays 2 and 3.  Fred brought over all remaining ties in storage and cut them down to 5 foot, while Zack supervised the building of cribbing between the posts up toward the ceiling.  The idea is that the cribbing will support the second floor while the posts get removed, the I-beam and support structure gets installed.  Meanwhile Stewart disconnected phone lines and a power line on a post.
* Mountain ROW work: Mike delivered the Kubota to the end of track, along with some plastic culverts and hay.  He then did some excavation in the afternoon.
* Mowing: Mike tried mowing but the mower car needs some additional parts.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
Mower needs a new belt is all this time. It would mow, but not great.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »
Not mentioned was the delicious haddock, rice pilaf and fresh corn on the cob lunch prepared by Chef Cindy today. Not only was it healthy but it tasted great.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 04:32:34 AM »
Also not mentioned was a rail was cut, drilled and prepped to replace another rail later this week, and more joint bars have been gathered up for use very soon. Next step is to find 18 more joint bars, and bolts in preparation for a joint bar changing crew. Also noticed more ties that should really be changed out, however we have plenty to do already this year. Remember each year we don't change ties the number doubles the next year as ties around them take a beating.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of July 22, 2017:

* Boxcar 67
* Car shop
* Mountain track extension
* Mountain ROW work
* Mowing

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
I hope to be there around 9. Would like to take the Brookville, Rowmow 1 and Ichabod north at that time. Ichabod will be left up there, either at EOT or on the TOM siding. I plan on mowing again after last train Saturday.
Mike

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
Walked down today to see what you did. Looks very good!

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
Does anyone know what was done today!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
 Mike did more excavation on the washer and covering your original pipe and perhaps the Trestle bent.

Bill and Mark cut all the parts for the slide plates spacers for the two Northyard switches.

Stewart removed more of the electrical wiring making way for the two new support beams between bays two and three.

Zack prepped one of the I-beams and removed more of the structure between bays two and three.

The Downey's worked on the gas motor and hydraulic pump for the tie changing backhoe.

Trains for a run, visitors were in thralled, a good time was had by all.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
RowMow 1 was run this afternoon after last train. East side of the tracks is now done. Then I tried something different. Parked the car on a crossing and hossed it around. Usually I use a jack and rotate that way, but it is very unballanced and difficult to dangerous to do alone. So after turning the car, I headed North to Cockeye Curve, and mowed south, cutting the west side to the Tool house, then mowed into the North yard and put the mower away.
Mike