Author Topic: Coach 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 181656 times)

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Coach 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
While Eric is busy in Bay 2 starting the frame, I have been making the window sashes.   There are 30 sashes needed for the side windows, 4 in the ends that are narrower, and 30 clerestory window sashes.   In addition, I assessed the state of the windows in coach 3.  None of the main window sashes are original, and most need repair.  Not only that, they are either the wrong type of wood, or don't have the correct design features.    The end windows do appear to be original -- they are made of quartersawn white oak, and have the original anti-rattle springs on the sides, as well as a number stamp on one edge. One of the end windows is in poor shape, in the end where there was a fire at one point.    So we decided that as long as I was to go into production on one set of windows, I would also add 30 new window sashes for coach 3 sides, one end window, and 15 clerestory windows.   That led to a grand total of 110 new window sashes. 

Here is the pile of 200 or so board feet of rough quartersawn white oak that I started with (mid November):

After a few weeks of planing and machining, the pile was reduced to the component parts cut to final length and width:

The first task was to do all the mortises, a total of about 450, each requiring multiple passes:

Then cut the tenons, which require 6 different setups in total.  Here is one of the clerestory rail tenons next to the corresponding mortise:

Here's what it looks like assembled.  I like the stopped chamfer on the inside edges, it adds a nice touch.

A stack of the finished clerestory sashes waiting for final sanding and bottom bevel:

The pieces of the main windows ready for assembly.   The odd features on the rail sides are for the anti-rattle leaf springs.  I attached a picture of one of the originals below.

This is a stack of about half of the main window sashes, fully glued and sanded:

Moving on next to the main doors....

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:43:35 PM by Harold Downey »

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
I was excited to see that Harold had posted an update, but then discovered I don't see the pictures.  :(

Is it just me or is anyone else able to see them?
Gawdon

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
No pics here, either. Of course, yours from the other day didn't appear either, Gordon.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »
No pics here, either. Of course, yours from the other day didn't appear either, Gordon.
I was afraid of that. It worked for me but it was from Google pictures and that has happened before. I will see if I can fix that. Thanks.

(Clock ticking...............)

OK, I put the picture on ImgBB and I think it works now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:37:41 PM by Gordon Cook »
Gawdon

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »
I think it's fixed now.  Other than the large size...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
You certainly have been busy, Harold. It's impressive.

In the first photo, the edges of the boards are painted. Did they come that way, or did you mark them?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2020, 09:16:29 PM »
Gasp! The pictures are stunning!
-John M

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22:06 PM »
In the first photo, the edges of the boards are painted. Did they come that way, or did you mark them?

Jeff S.

Jeff, that's how they came from the lumber supplier.  They paint the ends to keep them from checking (drying and cracking from the ends).

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
Aside from the excellent work on the window frames, the next most remarkable thing I noticed was the [lack] of sawdust on the floor!  :)

Tip: if the right edge of larger  photos seem to hit the right margin of the forum frame, with many browsers typing [Control]- (hold down the Control key and then press the minus key and release) will reduce the size of the image and text. Repeat that process until all the photo is visible.  [Control]+ is the reverse (makes it bigger).
Graham

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2020, 10:16:46 PM »
  I can't see the pix either.  just a big minus sign.  Any ideas?  I am using google chrome.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:18 PM »
While the other day Gordon's post in the February Work Reports thread did display a big 'minus' in place of the image, its working for me at this point. Link:  http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,3614.msg45044.html#msg45044

If that is what you can't see, perhaps its a cache issue. Clearing your browser cache may fix that.   Or here is a screenshot ...

(click image  to see larger)
Graham

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2020, 10:35:27 PM »
It's acting weird.  I can't see them in incognito window, but can as guest in normal chrome window.  Let me try to fix it another way.   Sorry about that.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2020, 11:14:51 PM »
It's fixed for me, Harold. Gordon's is fixed as well. Great looking work. Will you deliver the sash in April?

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2020, 12:51:03 AM »
Well done Harold; All this woodwork must have taken you busy for a while, looking at your beautiful pics it seems to me  I can smell the nice fragrance of fresh sawed oak.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »
Harold,

I am amazed at how you attack your projects.  Do you have time to eat and sleep?  The WW&F is blessed to have you as one of the amazing volunteers that are recreating the best part of the "good olde days" in Maine.  I wonder if in a previous life you worked for one of the car builders that made some of the varnish for the original two footers.

Bernie