Author Topic: Maine Two-Foot Winter Steam Events 2017 (photos)  (Read 5753 times)

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
Maine Two-Foot Winter Steam Events 2017 (photos)
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:19:11 AM »
In partnership with the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Boothbay Railway Village, the Wiscasset Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum hosted a pair of Maine Two-Footer Winter Steam Events, designed to provide unique photographic opportunities of winter operations typical a hundred years ago. Two different dates were held, January 14-15 and January 21-22, 2017. In addition to WW&F Rwy #9, Monson #3 was on the railroad and operated courtesy of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company. Bridgton and Saco River coach #11 was also at the event courtesy of Boothbay Railway Village. The WW&F Rwy’s new turntable at Sheepscot was in operation allowing for photographic opportunities not possible on the railroad before. World-class lighting for the night shoot scenes was provided by museum volunteer Stephen Hussar and his staff.

I attended both weekends, with my primary focus being both the men who operate the equipment and the collection of operating oil lanterns at the museum. I incorporated both into my photographic compositions, striving to have the human element at the forefront of my images.

Worth noting is photo #33 – motorman Stewart Rhine with Railcar #4, a replica of SR&RL track crew car #2.
This image was captured with my 1951 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye vintage film camera.

Follow the link below to my gallery:

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941

Enjoy,
Matthew

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Maine Two-Foot Winter Steam Events 2017 (photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:28:44 AM »
Very nice Matthew
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:59:27 AM »
Hi Matthew,

Beautiful set of images, incorporating lanterns into some of the shots really adds to the look.  The run-by views are great too, #24 is perfect.  Thanks for posting the link.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
Gorgeous series of images. Well done, Matthew!!

Hats off to everyone from all of the organizations who made this happen!
And major kudos to Greg Klein and Eric Joslin in the lighting department!

Stephen

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
Thank you Stewart,

This latest collection of photos is a stark contrast to my recent collaboration with the WW&F’s Stephen Piwowarski titled “Returned to Reality”, which highlighted the rebuild of the railroad and featured a set of images void of trains and human existence.

http://thetracksidephotographer.com/2017/01/19/returned-to-reality/

Stephen:

A huge thank you once again to Eric and Greg; please forward my photos to them both and mention I look forward to working alongside your team again soon.

Matthew

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
Wow, what a poignant and well written piece on the history of our railway Museum, and the W&Q itself.  The text is well supported with the beautiful black and white photos that are, truly timeless.

Matthew and Stephen have both done a service for all who love history and railroads.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »
Outstanding and beautiful.
Thank you.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Thanks Mathew, for your artistry, and that of all the others who record the goings on at the museum.
So much of our enthusiasm for rebuilding the railroad is based on the pictures we have of the original operation, with a 'wish we were there' thought as we study the grainy images over and over.
When talented folks capture not just the literal images but do so with imagination and skill, it completes the cycle where past and present meet.
Gawdon

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
The "Returned to Reality" storyline reminded me of another "rising from the ashes" story--the Lynton & Barnstable Railway in the UK.  There was an account given of it's original closing in 1935 (shortly after the WW&F closure).  I have copied the following from the L&B web site. 

Perchance It "Is Not Dead But Sleepeth"

On Monday 30 September 1935, the day after the railway closed, a wreath of bronze chrysanthemums was laid on the Barnstaple Town Station stop block. Sent by Woody Bay resident Paymaster Captain Thomas Alfred Woolf, R.N. (Retired.) it bore a black-edged, hand-written card on which was written:

“To Barnstaple & Lynton Railway, with regret and sorrow from a constant user and admirer. Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth".