Author Topic: 864 WW&F photos on nerail...  (Read 2304 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
864 WW&F photos on nerail...
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
864 WW&F photos on nerail... has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Bill Reidy wrote:
...think we can get that total over 1,000 by the end of the year?

Bill

Joe Fox replied:
I think it will be very easy, especially with the convention coming up.

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
We can do it, but we should be leary of posting 100 pictures of the same thing from 100 differant angles, try to make the interesting ones only!

I know I have been guilty of that in the past...

I have a few older ones which haven't been posted yet.....

Joe Fox replied:
Dana said that he enjoys the different angles. Some people do, some don't. If there were a lot of different angles of train on a trestle, I don't think people would have any complaints. For example, the book "A Century of Railroading in Crawford Notch", which is a great short book on the Maine Central Crawford Notch line, has 8 different angles and pictures of Frankenstien Trestle.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Ok. Just did some checking. The amount of photos we have posted on NERAIL puts us at 11th as far as the most pictures go. The most pics posted belong to Guilford. I don't think we will ever top those but we will definately break 1000 this year.
And as far as different angles and whatnot. Some modelers look at the NERAIL site and like different angles of the same train. I like taking several shots from the same angle at different distances to see what looks the best. My new "thing" has been trying to recreate photos that were used in books so yopu can get a then and now type feel, from almost the same spot, if possible. Fun, challenging and a learning experience all in one.
Mike

Bruce Wilson replied:
Mike,

Stewart is an active member of a group remembering the history of the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad. You would love the fine quality newsletter/magazine that the group publishes. From issues I have seen, there were numerous "before and after" photo speads with accompanying text. Stewart and others in the group have done a first rate job of it, honestly I've not seen better...

You might want to see what these guys have done for your own ideas.  As you, I enjoy photography. After seeing the photography of Phillip Hastings and his standard gage subjects in and around Bradford, New Hampshire; I realized many areas in which my photos could be improved.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your own photography and your before and after shots.

I've got a favorite print of a photo taken by former W.W. & F. Ry. Museum President, Joe Ruzcykij, back in 1993. He lensed a shot from the Crossroad in Alna looking to the north. At that time, the Sheepscot Station was being clapboarded, the replica car shop was just one bay wide and there was a newly spread layer of gravel where rails would soon be laid...how times have changed!

It's almost time now, for a before and after shot of today's W.W. & F. Ry. Museum...

Mike Fox replied:
Bruce, now there's an idea. Almost time for a book called the first 20 years. or Maybe the first 25. I think there has been talk of this and a before and after section would be a great addition to it.
I started trying mine with the B&SR this past winter. I had photo copied some pics to take with me but left them behind. So I shot from memory. A few were dead on and really placed the original photo. Some places of course are near impossible to photograph due to tree growth or something, but still fun none the less. I posted some of mine on NERAIL a while back with a reference where to find the original photo. Look under B&SR if you are interested.
Mike

Bruce Wilson replied:
Mike,

Once this past winter finally arrived in January of this year, I couldn't get out as much and I turned to NERAIL on several occassions for photo updates. I did see your work and that of others. As I had started exploring the Bridgton in early December of 2006, I found your photos very helpful.

I like your idea for a book on the history of the Sheepscot Valley Railroaders, now known as the W.W. & F. Railway Museum. During my initial period of volunteer involvement (1993 - 1997) I kept my own photos in archival sleeves for each year. Consequently, I have five binders for each of the years I was actively involved.

I would be happy to have you browse these photos, maybe I will reproduce a few of them too.

Regrettably, I never took a photo of Jason after he was "savaged" by a duck while we were all involved in a work project up in Hancock. At the time we were worried about where he was, he'd been missing from the crew for quite some time. But when he did finally rejoin us and stood before us covered in mud from the tidal flats and feathers from the vicious duck, we could only stand frozen in amazement...

Perhaps my recollections of the fierce encounter between Jason and the duck could be included in such a book, maybe brought to life again by the work of an illustrator...

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce,  Thanks for reminding us of those great trips over East.  Hard work, water foul and great times!  Thanks for the mention of the M&P RR HS magazine.  Yes, we started doing articles with matching old and new photos in 1988.  As you know, Bill R. is working on the new WW&F guidebook.  Some of the photos will be from hikes I took along the Wiscasset - Albion line over the last 10 years.  I had " Two Feet to Tidewater" with me and took matching views when possible.

Mike I enjoy your posts on NERAIL.  I go there often to see whats been added.  Maybe you could do a "Now and Then" piece in the newsletter when John has room.  I think the members would like that.

Mike Fox replied:
I haven't done any of the WW&F yet. I think I will have to start. Maybe I could even squeeze it in as "quality" time with the family. Exploring different parts of the line. And if I do any of the WW&F, I will try to replicate pictures that are in the museum collection so there would not be a problem with original pictures if a before and after book is printed.
Now an idea for a shot or actually a collection of shots. It would be great if there was a picture taken from Cross road looking north in the 50's to 70's ranger before Harry ever did anything there. That way, you could have the photo taken in the early 1900's when the line was in use, mid 1900's during it's slumber, and finally now after it's rebirth.
Mike

John McNamara replied:
I would love to have some "then and now" photos for the newsletter

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce and Mike,  I think a "First 20 Years of the WW&F Railway Museum" book is a great idea.  Bruce, I have seen some of your early 1990's photos and they are interesting.  A book would be popular with members and guests and would make a good visual record of the early days.

John,  would you consider a then and now with 10-15 year old shots as the old photos?  Obviously vintage shots are preferred but not always available.  Mike's idea of three photos could happen in some places like Cockeye Curve with the wreck photo, cleared land and rebuilt track.  Or there could be a comparison view of Albee's crossing as a swamp (2001) and the rebuilt crossing (2007).  New members or ones who do not get to Sheepscot very often may like these views.  Just a thought.

Joe Fox replied:
How about a movie, like Conway Scenic's movie titled, "The First Twenty Years," ? I think that both a book and a video would be great. We have the people, and the dedication of several members, to make a book, or a video. I was thinking that if a certain number of copys of both are made, than see how they do?

Joe

James Patten replied:
I doubt a movie could be done because I doubt the first 5 or so years of the Museum had much in the way of video taken.  Although you never know with home video.

Joe Fox replied:
Even if it wasn't of the complete first twenty years, you could use photos, and a narrative on what the museum was llike when it was first started, and how it was started.

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

That sounds just like a Power Point Presentation

Bill Sample replied:
Mike, too bad they haven't come out with a "tree filter" for helping to get the best "now" photos One thing I always think about when riding the WW&F is how the nice clear-cut right of way with most of the large stumps remaining looks very close to the appearance of the W&Q as built - as long as you ignore the improvements to the track structure compared to the old days!

The British have produced several now-and then hard cover books that I have seen and they go to great lengths to duplicate scenes - including the use of a cherry picker to replace the view from a torn down building, and views out of windows of buildings constructed on the former right of way.

Losing major players in 2-foot gauge preservation like our Harry and Fred Richardson certainly indicates it's not too soon to record the history of the preservation era, and it's nice to see that this is being done so well at the WW&F.

Bruce Wilson replied:
I doubt a movie could be done because I doubt the first 5 or so years of the Museum had much in the way of video taken.  Although you never know with home video.

James,
I have a copy of a video shot by Joe Ruzykij in 1992. He filmed no. 9 at Alice Ramsdell's property, shot footage of the museum in Alna and if I remember correctly, he went to Edaville in early '93 and ended his tape with scenes of the Edaville equipment. I haven't viewed this VHS tape in years, might be interesting to dust it off some time...?

Bruce

Mike Fox replied:
Tome to update the numbers. I just added (finally) photos from the annual picnic. Sorry, I used some slow developing digital ink. Anyhow, we are now at 1004 excellent photos on NERAIL
Mike

Bill Reidy replied:
The photos from the water tank staging are terrific.  Thanks Mike.

Bill

Dave Olszewski replied:
Hi,

It was good to see over 1,000 photos there. Amtrak has over 3,100 photos, Boston and Maine has almost 3,600 photos. Gulf has 6,900 photos.
Oh Walt Disney World has one photo.

I will take photo of water shed with new paint later today. I am going there for Evergreen paint on North and South Wall. I painted Yarmouth blue there yesterday. It is getting colder so maybe today will be my last day for painting. I will be busy on Halloween Event next week. I don't know if weather will be nice and warmer on last weekend. I can't wait to finish with it today and see how pretty it will be.  Zack was done with shingling on East Wall yesterday. I don't think I have time for primer painting on it today.

Dave
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum