Author Topic: What If? Design Project: 1925-1940 2ft Diesel  (Read 48494 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: What If? Design Project: 1925-1940 2ft Diesel
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Well- to be clear- I’m not a diesel fan, and don’t much care for the “what if” exercise.  However we need a main line diesel, out of necessity.

I want to reiterate- we likely will not build from scratch.  I don’t mind the design-from-scratch drawings which Robert intends to propose, as they’ll likely feed our net result.  I suggest, Robert, that you not worry too deeply about fine design details- esp mechanical- until you produce and aire a concept drawing.  As mentioned, it’ll probably morph a lot during the review process.

I’d like to see the Plymouth dinky idea drawn up- no time myself.

The third GE diesel at MNG is gone to another home, I believe.

See ya
Jason

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
Jason the wrecked diesel is at Edaville last I knew
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
Diesel 3\5 was sold back to Edaville a few years ago as part of MNG's effort to divest equipment that wasn't salvageable by the museum itself. This was done before they had to transfer ownership of the boxcars that are now in WW&F's and Boothbay's hands.

There wasn't much left except the frame. The prime mover and generator were shot. I believe that the traction motors were (if still in the wheel sets) shot. The wheels needed turning, and the cab was obviously crumpled and all the electrics long since gutted. I am unaware of it's disposition since returning to Edaville, but I wouldn't put it past them to have it rebuilt at some point to supply more power to backup the #2 and the other assorted critters.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:59:08 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Murphy Jenkins

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
In my personal opinion, If you wanted to go with an early diesel/gas mechanical design, I think a replica WWI Baldwin 50HP loco-tractor would be a great choice. These locomotives were sold all over the world after the war, and I'm honestly suprised that the Maine 2 footers never got any war surplus equipment. The locomotive could also be used to tell the story of trench railways, and their importance in the First World War.

Murphy Jenkins
Conductor A&M RR
Owner Frisco & Cherokee 2ft Gauge

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
While the Baldwin trench locomotives are cool in their own right, they would not solve the problem at the WW&F. What is needed is a locomotive with both power and speed, to allow it to be used to rescue a train and bring it home. It might be worthwhile to take a look at some version of the diesel locomotives manufactured in Australia for use on the still-extensive sugar cane network in Queensland. Using already-proven and functional mechanical designs, the sheet metal surrounding it could be customized to look like a 1930's gasoline or diesel unit.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »
Some of those Queensland sugar cane engines are really beefy for two foot gauge.  I was thinking we should try to get one used - but suspect that anything the plantations are parting with are things that have been beat down pretty well.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
While the Baldwin trench locomotives are cool in their own right, they would not solve the problem at the WW&F. What is needed is a locomotive with both power and speed, to allow it to be used to rescue a train and bring it home. It might be worthwhile to take a look at some version of the diesel locomotives manufactured in Australia for use on the still-extensive sugar cane network in Queensland. Using already-proven and functional mechanical designs, the sheet metal surrounding it could be customized to look like a 1930's gasoline or diesel unit.

If the museum needs such a locomotive then the South African GE U8 locomotives would fit the bill. Diesel electric with CAT 3208 power plants.
I'll do my best to present the my best design using modern power train components from the light/medium duty trucks of the day with a period correct design for the final drive (with modern parts) and keeping with the 1920-30s styling. The units would be scratch-built using laser/water CNC cut plate, rectangle tube frames, standard wiring, pneumatic brakes and controls, cab heater with a full enclosed cab.

Rob

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
South African GE U8: way too heavy, way too wide. I was suggesting something along the lines of the attached photo.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
South African GE U8: way too heavy, way too wide. I was suggesting something along the lines of the attached photo.
I just read some info on the exact loco last month. It is diesel-hydraulic with a Detroit 12V92 engine and tips the scales at about 40 tons (I need to double check that number).
Rob
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:40:18 PM by Robert Hale »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
I have asked an Aussie friend if he can round up drawings and specifications of something like this.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
I noticed mention of a South African diesel.  Sandstone Estates in South Africa has been collecting all sorts of railroad equipment as well as farm equipment, aviation, etc.  They supplied the Welsh Highland Railroad with a Garratt locomotive as well as several gondolas, so they do sell equipment on occasion.  The link below lists their rail inventory as of a few months ago.  Scroll down past the Cape gauge equipment to the 2-foot gauge stuff.  They have more equipment than needed for their excursion loop.  They have several 2-foot diesels--one of them was a GE.  They also would have some wheelsets as well. 

http://www.sandstone-estates.com/images/pdf/Sandstone_Stock_List_Nov2016.pdf

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
I believe we have several members who are from "Down Under".  There have been mill closures and some scaling back of 2' trackage over the last 10 years.  It might do us well to contact them and ask if they could make some inquiries or to at least sniff around on their local railway forums.  Never know what may turn up.

As far as South Africa is concerned - their stuff is probably too big/heavy for our track.  BUT!  I did not know they had a 2' BALDWIN 4-6-2 Pacific!  A possible engine #12 or 13?
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
The Baldwin 4-6-2 at Sandstone is currently under restoration, so I think that one's a non-starter.

One of my mates in Oz is president of the Light Railway Study Society of Australia, and I've asked him if he can look into surplus locomotives. But having said that, we next must consider the cost of shipping a locomotive from Queensland to Maine, not to mention the possible difficulties in securing parts for such a locomotive. If nothing else, however, having some drawings and specifications may be useful.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
Here are a couple of other Queensland sugar cane locomotives. These are in the 15-20-ton range and about 180 horsepower diesel hydraulics.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Here are a couple of other Queensland sugar cane locomotives. These are in the 15-20-ton range and about 180 horsepower diesel hydraulics.

http://sa-transport.co.za/trains/sugar_cane_rail/eimco.html
This thing weighs in at 40 tons.