Author Topic: Portable Platforms for Special Events  (Read 13127 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Portable Platforms for Special Events
« on: November 06, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
With approval, I thought of an idea to help make events safer for unloading. In the past we have set step boxes on the ground, which at certain times of year can be a little wobbly.

To help aid in loading or unloading at locations like Alna Center, or other locations as needed, I came up with the idea of building 4 3' by 8' platforms to put a step box on if needed, etc. This will allow a safer platform for people to unload onto, and by making them 8' long, it will allow for a little lee way for stopping.

For stops I thought about designing some kind of poles like we had years ago during Halloween trains so that engineers can use them as reference marks.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Portable Platforms for Special Events
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »
Good luck with that idea, Joe. I've made that suggestion at least twice with no responses and no action. I even built one, and someone busted it up for firewood. I guess the only way that will happen is if you do it yourself.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Build the platforms and secure them to the ties so they can't be taken up easily.  They can stay there all year long to be used for the various special events, Easter eggxpress, Victorian Christmas, Masonic picnic, photo run byes, etc.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
If I were you, Joe, I'd use three ties spaced about seven feet apart, with one in the middle, perpendicular to the track. Then I'd nail 2x6 or 2x8 planks 8 feet long across them parallel to the track. That way, the ties would bridge the ditch along the west side of the main track so that folks could easily step up onto the field at Top of the Mountain. You'd have to be very careful if there is much snow, to clear any snow off the platforms so it wouldn't pack down and make them slippery. If properly spaced, two platforms would accommodate three cars. These platforms would also work quite well for Victorian Christmas, placed along the west side of the Alna Center passing track north of the crossing.

At other photo locations, if there is snow on the ground, clear similar areas so that folks are not stepping off into deep snow. The other option is to stop the trains with the platforms on crossings, such as Rose Wood and Sutters -- which also would need some snow cleared.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »
We want portable, not permanent. And they are very heavy. Two rugged guys can move them a short distance, four guys is much easier.

Photographer trains have to deal with step boxes just like every other railroad.

Aside from being used for special events the other idea is to use them at ToM, or build some for up there as well.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:06:18 PM »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »
Yep.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:21:29 PM »
Each platform I am building will allow two car platforms spotted on them. Forgot to mention earlier that on photographer trains we try to stop on a crossing if doing a runby at a crossing location. Currently the only non crossing locations are ToM and Humason.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
Great idea, but the time schedule needs to be accelerated. I've heard plans for Victorian Christmas that involve boarding some trains over near the car barn.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
These will be delivered the first week of December. Two at Sheepscot, two at AC. He built one in a few hours. So not much acceleration needed.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
Excellent! Good work, Joe!

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »
Great idea, should save stumbles or worse.
Commuter 'roads use official reference markers for consistent stop spotting,  prevent platform overshoots, backups,  assure riders they are standing right where  car doors will open, saves time.
Go for it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:48:10 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
Most locomotive engineers I've known had their own "markers" -- trees, poles, barns, houses, whatever -- where they would apply or release the brakes or where they'd close the throttle or where they would stop.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
Whatever makes your train stop in the right place, hopefully MOST of the time.  ;)
Paul Uhland

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
[Moderators Note]
A discussion regarding Alna Center has been moved to "members only".
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum