Author Topic: Annual Picnic in August  (Read 2147 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Annual Picnic in August
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Annual Picnic in August has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Joe Fox wrote:
Hi guys,

Does any body know yet if the museum will be running freight trains on Sunday of the Annual Picnic? I only ask, because I have a family reunion on Saturday, and I really want to be able to get some pictures of the steam engine pulling a photo freight.

Joe

James Patten replied:
There's been no discussion on the Annual Picnic yet, but now is a good time to start the talking.

The freight trains on Saturday were well received, and Saturday is when most of the railfans show up.  I don't know what Sunday usually looks like as far as the fans are concerned.

Joe Fox replied:
I am a fan, so does that mean that the freight trains can be run? How about at least one photo freight on Sunday?

Joe

Justin Franz replied:
Has there ever been any thought given to a night photo session. With the amount of equipment available now and the shop, station, and water tower the possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately with school and getting ready for college It's been awhile since I've been down that way for a visit, much less to help out on one of the work weekends. From what I've seen in the newsletter, allot has been done! Keep it up!

-Justin Franz

Glenn Christensen replied:
FYI - The Tal-y-llyn occasionally hosts "all-night photo and operating sessions."  Our particular situation may vary somewhat, but some flavor of the idea might work for the WW&F.

Just an idea,
Glenn

Mike Fox replied:
If a night photo session is desired, we should wait until the picnic rather than now. The sun will be setting sooner then and dark won't arrive so late (8:00 or 8:30 now).
Great idea though. We have run night trains before but no night photo sessions. Could be worth a try.
Mike

Stephen Hussar replied:
I've got the lighting...

Joe Fox replied:
That would be something worth a try. The steam engine could run a few extra trips, if passengers were still hanging around, and then do the night photo session just before dumping the fire. What a great idea. Is it possible to start getting plans ready for the Annual Picnic, such as what times trains are leaving, what trains are going to be run at certain times, and a possible night photo shoot. How about running a mixed train with white flags? That would look good in a photo run by. Just a few added ideas for the picnic.

Joe

Justin Franz replied:
I've got quite a few ideas for scenes that could be shot. As I said with the amount of equipment available there are allot of possibilities. Some quick ones include.....
-#10 with mixed/freight at Alna Center, Sheepscott station (could put some coaches on other track to make it appear a meet is taking place etc.)
-#10 at water tower
-#10 sitting by the shop, with the #9 being rebuilt inside, maybe have some guys 'working' in the background.
-#10 switching in the yard.
I think most of these could be done in just over an hour or so.

Stephen, what type of light do you have available? I've got some friends with lumedyne flash set ups and such the could be available. (sounds like something a hit man would say "I've got friends, who've got friends, who've got lights"). Could go 'old school', in keeping with history and get some bags of flash powder.

Who could we talk to get the ball rolling on this, I'll be glad to help out in anyway.

-Justin Franz

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
We do night trains regularly and enjoy doing them, however its usually in the fall and winter, and usually not for photography.

We could arrange something, based upon crew availability.  We also wouldn't want to be too whistle happy out of respect for our neighbors- we've had no complaints but we don't want to cause any concern in the first place.

Rough thoughts for the Picnic were to repeat last year's efforts, but trying to work out the kinks.  Scheduled mixed and freight trains, with seperate photo trains running ahead and behind to deliver photographers.  The kinks to be worked out are photo train timing, and announcements of when everything is happening.

We run Friday evening anyway- would there be interest in Friday night trains?  First things first- when is dusk that time of year?  If there is some level of consensus and we think we can make it work, perhaps we'll kick out a picnic schedule for comment.

see ya
Jason

Justin Franz replied:
Dusk would be around 830-900, if we were to start then (say at Alna Center) you'd get the blue twilight skies in the background - always a nice touch. The last train could simply cart photographers up to the north end for the shot. If you've got lighting set up and ready to go, once the photo line is set, you can start lighting up the scene in no time. Have the #10, the box car, and the two coaches sitting by the station, maybe having some people posing on the platform and you've got quite the shot.

After that you could return to Sheepscot and do some stuff around the yard (water tower and station, with the same consist) and then just put the coaches aside and pose the #10 switching in the yard with the box car and flat cars.

My father has had experience in setting up or assisting with multiple night photo sessions in the past, including some quick solo 'jump out, set up, and light up' ones. I'm sure he would be glad to assist, and I'll gladly offer help/time myself. And again, finding people with light sorces shouldn't be hard.

-Justin Franz

Mike Fox replied:
August 2007
Friday 10
Sunrise: 5:39am
Sunset: 7:53pm

Saturday 11
Sunrise: 5:40am
Sunset: 7:52pm

Sunday 12
Sunrise: 5:41am
Sunset: 7:51pm

This is based on Portland times. Probably loose a couple of minutes when translated to Alna/Wiscasset time. 8:30 would be a fair guess for darkness, earlier if there is cloud cover.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
That would mean it would be after 22:00 by the time everything would be put to bed, is it really fair to ask the train crews to commit to this time for photo opps?

Joe Fox replied:
Sure why not, I am sure, that if the daytime crew would like a break, that a night crew could be found. Keep in mind, that during the Halloween trains, sometimes the fire isn't dumped until around 10-10:30. Now if it was to happen every weekend, I think the crews might get tired of it, however, we are fortunate enough to have very dedicated train crews.

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum