Author Topic: WW&F – the Fine Art series (photos)  (Read 6682 times)

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
WW&F – the Fine Art series (photos)
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p58527735

The above link is to a series of photos I captured at the WW&F on the morning of March 25th, early before the photo excursion commenced. It was cold with freezing rain, but very serene and peaceful; the only noise some wild turkey in the distance gobbling and an occasional rooster crowing.
I planned beforehand to make these images appear as timeless as possible, but after looking at the finished gallery it’s hard not to think they were taken in 1910 and not 2016.
It amazes me that before 1989 (when the WW&F Railway Museum was established) no trackwork and structures existed; yet all looks to have been intact since the original railroad operated.
The spirit and drive of the Maine 2-Footers has never been more alive – thanks to the incredibly magical efforts by the men and women based in Sheepscot.

Enjoy,
Matthew

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F – the Fine Art series (photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
Beautiful photos, Matthew!

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Stunning and stark photos, Mathew... 

Beautifully captured... all the quiet and stillness before the noise, smoke and steam and activity of the day....

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
Outstanding pics!
They capture the bleakness of an early spring stormy morning, show progress made at Sheepscot.
And yes, very timeless.
Paul Uhland

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Neat photos Matthew.  It's nice to see the railroad in a quiet state.  The images remind me of the old insurance survey photos that were taken of railroad property in the 1930's.  I have survey photos of the PRR, WM, B&O and M&P RR that are similar to your shots.  

Thanks for posting, can't wait to see some of your action photos from that day.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »
Such hauntingly beautiful images, Matthew! Thank you so much for sharing them.

I agree with Stewart that they're very reminiscent of old insurance valuation photos, which in my opinion were some of the finest railroad photography of the early 20th century. (I have some from the LIRR from the 1920s and 1930s that are similar.)

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:18:11 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words here, emails sent, and comments left on my website! Very much appreciated.

Us railfans, me included, too often focus on the train in a scene and not the surrounds itself. My photos clearly illustrate the attention to detail and history the WW&F workforce has put forth in rebuilding Sheepscot and the WW&F trackage & right-of-way. This gallery of photos is not doctored in Photoshop, these are how the grounds are today, only stripped of color. Absolutely timeless, almost like out of any Maine Two-Footers photo book from the past.

I'm very open to suggestions for me donating these images to the museum, to be used in promoting and advertising the WW&F and Wiscasset. Team me up with a good writer, let's get these in magazines and Internet features. Not only in the railfan community, but outside that box and into the viewers of travel, fine art, history, photography, and culture.

I live in New Jersey, unable to make regular visits for work weekends to volunteer. This could be my way of giving back to an organization that rightfully deserves so much.

Matthew Malkiewicz
www.losttracksoftime.com

Win Nowell

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 08:15:01 AM »
WOW! you are truly an artist!

Win Nowell

Pete Leach

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »
Great shots!  Thanks so much for sharing!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
Excellent shots, Matt.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.