Author Topic: Top of the Mountain Siding - Official Work Thread  (Read 58541 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Top of the Mountain Station and Mills - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
Where will the mills be located? Talking with other volunteers, it was mentioned to build the mills on the south west side of the siding to allow for better photos of doubling the hill and would look more prototypical.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »
Well, more tinkering to do. The track adjuster opposite the one we replaced a year ago let go. So no dozing, because I did not want the track to fall off. I may try to replace this one without breaking the track. I will see how much room I need when the new part comes in.

Also, Fred came up with me this morning. We talked and walked. He decided to thin out an area so it can be surveyed for track.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »
I'm thinking perhaps the next construction project should be a woodshop, in a separate building with heat and a nice wood-block floor. It should be about 15 x 30 feet with double doors at each end and nice-sized windows on both sides. I don't think it needs a track inside, but a track adjacent would be nice.

Might be a nice piece to include with the sawmill / shingle mill complex.  I think Sheepscot might be getting a little bit crowded after the "roundhouse" is built.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:18:49 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Who is going to guard all of this stuff at TOM?  I think we have been lucky at Sheepscot and AC.  But there is no one around TOM and no road access for Fire Company or Police patrol.  There are alot of not nice people in this world.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:58:11 PM by Ken Fleming »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
Most criminals are pretty lazy.  A 2/3 mile walk through the woods to cause trouble is too much work for them.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 06:14:51 AM »
Maybe not, but a couple of boozed-up yahoos with deer rifles could do a lot of damage.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »
"Maybe not, but a couple of boozed-up yahoos with deer rifles could do a lot of damage."

Also boozed-up with a cigarette lighter could be devastating.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
We used to have a wooden telephone box at the end of the line, when it was about 100 yards south of T-O-M. It was heavily vandalized in an effort to break the box and its lock. No damage was done inside the box once the vandals determined the box was not full of gold bars or whatever they thought was in there.

-John

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
Good thing you removed that fissionable uranium John, before someone stole it!

Every year they get better at making stupid ...
Glenn

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:43 PM »
A single bullet from a 30.06 or a .223 could make a heck of a mess of a Continental engine or a steam boiler or any cast iron component it happens to strike.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Must we always point out negatives. If no one ever took chances, we would have nothing. Frank Ramsdell took a chance, because he had a dream. Never materialized like he wanted. Harry took a chance. His dream is still a work in progress, and continuing to grow, most likely greater than he himself thought possible. Lets try and focus on the positive side. There are greater chances for positive things to happen than a negative.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:20:41 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »
Re: Picture of woods:

Where's Fred?

(Apologies to Waldo>)
Gawdon

Benjamin Campbell

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
I would argue in favor of responsible caution. Circular sawmills and to a lesser degree – shingle mills -  can be found fairly easily and thus replaced were there to be a disaster be it man made or natural. I would argue against storing any of the truly irreplaceable rarities we have been entrusted to curate at such a remote location.

The positive view is that the vast majority of folks would never consider harming the property of others. In reality it only takes one angry kid – or one not old enough to appreciate the gravity of their actions – to make a real mess of things.

I was deeply moved by the 1985 loss to arson of the B&MRR’s covered bridge in Hillsborough NH. The GTR draw bridge in Portland was damaged by arson the same years. The Goffstown NH covered railroad bridge was lost in 1976 to arson and if one Googles Railroad Covered Bridge Arson New Hampshire or Vermont one will find that many other railroad bridges lost their life to arson during the 80s 70s and 60s. These railroad bridges are but a tiny fraction of the historic structures lost to people whatever their motivations.

I'm not sure that feeling protective of the positive accomplishment of our museum's members is thinking negatively. Cautious realism maybe? Maybe things are better now? Maybe kids take their aggressions out in video games? 

If I recall correctly - at least one stipulation was made regarding the return of No 9 to Sheepscot. That a house be built on site to ensure that their would always be watchful eyes on the Ramsdell's (and all or our) treasure - thus Harry's house was build. So yes - risks were taken - but further steps were taken to protect those risks.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
Benjamin,
Excellent  thoughts with one correction. Harry's house predates all other structures on our "campus."
-John

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2016, 12:03:57 AM »
Harry's house predates all other structures on our "campus."

When was Percival house built? I don't remember it being there when I first visited Sheepscot in 1990, but perhaps my memory is deceiving me.