Author Topic: Spring 2016 work weekend.  (Read 27009 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2016 work weekend.
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »
Todays North end progress. 300 feet. Add this to yesterdays 150, and that leaves 150 for Sunday
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/RSodgyPfpI0

some scenes from this weekend's train operations
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
James posted a nice report on Saturday's work on the April Work thread.  Here's a bit more from Saturday -

* Section house - New interior window trim was built to seal the window casings.

* 75 people signed the book.

Sunday, May 1st: SWW Day 3 -

* Upper yard - The main stem of the spur and bay 1 lead received more ballast and was tamped again.  Some stone was also added to the bay 3 track.  Track in front of the section house is now about level with the door sill.

* TOM - Track was laid out and spiked to within 40' of the washout.  

* Boxcar 76 - More wood work: Zack built the buffer blocks and worked on the draft gear guide blocks.

* Shop building - More switching of equipment and rolling stock.  Bay 1 not only has #10's frame but #9's old boiler, the stationary steam engine and RC4.

* Car Barn - Upper yard switching, Bay 1 has the regular trainset plus the Brookville and yellow push car. Bay 2 has the two boxcars and 320.

* Section house - The jigger track was put back in place (although it needs to be cut shorter to fit between the building and spur track).  Handcar #2 was placed back inside.  Plans were made to put planks alongside the rails to create a ramp like the building had in the early 20th Century.

* Kitchen - Nancy Weeks prepared a nice lunch for us and then completely cleaned the house.  Her desserts were amazing, thank you Nancy!

* Volunteers - 55 people signed the book.

Thanks to everyone who worked, whether for a few hours or days.  The 2016 SWW was a BIG success with much accomplished.  We hope to see many of you at Sheepscot soon.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:12:43 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »
Some additional photos from Saturday.

This is what about 1.5 miles of stacked rail looks like:

The pile is a little under 6 feet high, and of course is about 30 feet wide.

The North Yard as of the late afternoon, looking toward the Whitefield Section House.  This whole section came up at least 7 inches.

Boxcar 67's frame, upside down of course.

Looking on the machine swap in the car shop.

After Sue spoke at the dedication, she and Julius's niece unveiled the photo.  This is right after.  The niece/husband (sorry, I've forgotten their names) did pose by the photo but my flash reflected off the photo so they weren't that great.  

The photo I believe was taken by Matthew Malkiewicz.

Last was a group photo starring #9:

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the report Stewart. 

Bullet Bob also spent time instituting a new tracking system for training, and advanced several folks along the program.  This will help us tremendously in crewing trains.

We had a great weekend...

Jason

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
James, you are correct - I did take the photograph of Julius.

The date was August 14, 2010 - inside the Alna Center Station, where he served as the WW&F Station Agent. I spent the day with him, sitting back and listening to his stories; interrupted only by the passing trains when he would walk outside to wave. I was glued to his every word.

Matthew

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
Matthew, I thought the photo was great!  The frame made it look like a window to Julius - with another window behind him showing #10.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
Laying track down the mountain.

Ballast and tamping the North Yard.

No. 9's old boiler was removed from flatcar 126 and placed in a cradle on a spare truck.

The big lathe in the original end of bay 2 was moved up onto the concrete in the shop extension. The lathe move provides more space in bay 2 for car construction and rebuilds. The wood pattern makers lathe was moved down to the metal lathes old spot.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
Counting down from the top in Brendans picture, #11, #16, #17, and #21 show a vertical white post. It is actually a plastic trim board, but I stood it as a marker. This marks the edge of the washout.  From here North, we have some sort of repair every few hundred feet. Not anything that we can't accomplish, but some things that will keep Northward expansion slow. Once we repair this first washout, there are a couple drainage culverts to put in and a small dip to fill in with some gravel, then we get to the slide. Again, something that will slow us a little, but with our great  volunteers, we can do what ever is needed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:52:02 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
Looks like a few loads of fill from the Model B truck will take care of that. (Ducks as Stewart tosses a projectile in my direction)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 05:49:39 PM »
Hey Ira,

We can haul a lot more in one trip with the Model AA ton and a half truck than a quarter ton Model B!

Start

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 06:08:27 PM »
Save the AA for the land slide................

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
Kudos to all of the volunteers who showed up and made the 2016 Spring Work Weekend another in the long history of successful and productive WW&F events.  The work that was accomplished over three days (and the prelude, Stewart) is just amazing.  I had the pleasure of working with a great crew at the north end that laid 600 feet of track down the Mountain.  Everyone worked hard, safely, and with great focus.  I have a lot of details to coordinate to reach our track laying goals and the crew made my job much easier and a lot of fun. Thank you all. I had high hopes that we would make our 600 foot goal and on Saturday I knew we had hit our stride and I had no doubt we'd make it if the weather held and, sure enough, we got the last rails spiked and lined just as it started to rain on Sunday afternoon.  It was also fun to watch the progress in the North Yard.  Every time we came back for lunch or supper you could see the yard looking better and better.  By the end of the weekend it looked fantastic!  Rick's "Magnificent Seven" did an excellent job!

I appreciate the "old hands" more than you can know and I also want to say: "thanks" to the young fellows  like Bryce, Dan, Joseph, and the young man whose name escapes me but whose grandfather works at Conway Scenic.  You  are the future of the WW&F and I hope we are teaching you what you need to know so we can couple up your enthusiasm to our experience so you can haul the WW&F "train" into the future. 

I also want to recognize the two ladies who pitched right in and worked alongside the "boys" and put up with our attempts at humor. (We thought we were funny...) Thanks for taking such good care of the tie marking chalk and for making sure the bolts and spikes were waiting for us when we needed them.  ;D

I had  a great time and it was good to see our friends from all over.  Thank you all!

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 06:47:35 PM »
WOW, I have never seen a group with so much "Git 'Er Done" enthusiasm!!  Great work, Guys! (and Ladies).

Hansel Gordon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »