Author Topic: 60cm Polish paradise.  (Read 9560 times)

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
60cm Polish paradise.
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
Happy New Year to all you narrow-minded folk! Here's a little 60cm Polish narrow gauge stuff someone posted on Facebook which I find fascinating. It features four separate operations in steam during the 1969-1977 time period. The majority is filmed on the Bromberger Wirsitzer system, which I've put up previous stuff about. It even features a visual demonstration on smoking beef at 10:33.
https://youtu.be/0ouolKgdpgM

I know it's less than two feet, but I hope you enjoy it!

John

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: 60cm Polish paradise.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the link, John!

I enjoyed the video and a few others after that!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »
I was fascinated by this film from beginning to end.  Such large headlights for such little engines.  I wonder if any of these little lines still exist?  Thanks again, John.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
Actually, they have a very active preservation effort going on for the Bromberger Wirsitzer line. They've restored miles (even more kilometers!) of line to operation, as a significant part was left intact in the weeds after diesel freight operations petered out during the mid-90's. They have a facebook page, "Forum Wyrzyskiej Kolejki Powiatowej Bialosliwie". That's a lot of consonants, but it should bring you to their page which has fascinating stuff about their progress, pictures and Polish words which apparently translate strangely.

They have the great advantage of having these lines active until very recently. Quite a different story than the Maine Two footers! I do, however feel like I get at least a glimpse of  Maine's tiny common carriers while watching their laid-back European cousins! 

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
I was fascinated by this film from beginning to end.  Such large headlights for such little engines.  I wonder if any of these little lines still exist?  Thanks again, John.
I too thought the headlights were interesting.  Both front and rear!  I bet they are bright.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
Big headlights, indeed! And they seemed to have no objection to running backwards just as fast as forward! Looks like some pretty significant bobbing and weaving in some scenes. I think a couple of those 0-4-0's were built as recently as 1949. Quite a few steam loco's seem to have been preserved at various locations, though apparently very few are operable or even close to operable. The coach interiors look quite crude by Maine two foot standards.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:18:54 AM »
I too thought the headlights were interesting.  Both front and rear!  I bet they are bright.

I noticed that one of the locos had a large central headlight that was a rectangular box with a vent on the top. It looked exactly like a Maine two-footer kerosene headlight.  :)

-John M

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
I thought their method of refueling the little engines was low-tech and unique.  Certainly cheaper than a coaling tower.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
I was fortunate to ride, in 1991, several of these lines. They were fascinating then and still are. Yes, a number of them still exist in preservation, some active and some not.
I actually got some throttle time in a Pk 48 0-8-0. What a hoot.

One line we rode had no traffic in many years and we were the first to crash through the weeds and brush at track speed. What pre-trip inspection?

I have a short video of adding water the the locomotive's tank and it running out the bottom of the smoke box door at nearly the same rate. What leaking flues?

Yes, the laws of physics were much different in Poland in the early 1990's.