Author Topic: 2015 Volunteer Hours  (Read 2805 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
2015 Volunteer Hours
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:36:16 PM »
I have just finished entering all known volunteer hours for 2015.  I'm pleased to say that we broke a record in the number of volunteer hours, at just over 17,000!

However, this is not the final tally!  If there's anyone who has yet to send me or has not recorded in the book their off-site hours, please do so as soon as you can.  Whether it's Facebook posting, website/forum administering, making patterns in Texas (or any other state), researching, et cetera et cetera, please send them my way via email or private message.

Being a geek for statistics (although I hated the class in college), I wondered just how many days in the year someone was volunteering at the Museum this year (not involved off-site).  Thanks to the miracle of SQL I can tell you: 322.  That's 88% of the year.  This doesn't count if it's one person cleaning up the trash or a Work Weekend.  But, believe it or not, this is not a record.  The record is from 2003, when we had 333 days out of the year where someone was on-site at Sheepscot.  2003 is when we were rebuilding #10, so that does make sense.

I bet you're also wondering how many individual volunteers we had last year too!  The answer is 215, which is a record, thanks in no small part to the large wedding party at Steve & Annie's wedding in June.  The next closest is 185, in 2014.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Volunteer Hours
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
I was going to write in the book in the morning but can just give you the print out if you prefer
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »
Mike, writing in the book is fine.

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
James, the actual statistic you are looking for - or should be - is equivalent full time employees.

You start with 365 days and subtract the standard minimum 2 weeks of vacation and ten holidays and then the weekends.

Thus 365 - 14 - 10 - 100 = 241 workdays for a normal paid employee with no sick days.

241 times an 8 hour day = 1928 hours a year

Then divide your total volunteer hours by the 1928 hours a paid employee works a year and it equals the equivalent of 8.8 employees

That's pretty good - as I only average 2.5 equivalent employees in a year working full time at the Western Railway Museum Archives. When you add up the shop, track and overhead wire volunteers, it probably equals the WW&F effort. The Western Railway Museum also has about 1050 members.
Allan Fisher