Author Topic: storage track, version 2.0  (Read 2165 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
storage track, version 2.0
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
storage track, version 2.0 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Wayne Laepple wrote:
On another thread, several people expressed unhappiness about the team track currently being occupied by "special purpose" cars. While I'm not sure what else would occupy the team track, I'd like to restart a discussion about another track that could be utilized for storage of these apparent orphans, at least in its initial iteration.

Back on Nov. 20, while we were discussing a new carhouse, I offered the idea of building a switch south of Stockford's crossing, diverging to the west, with a track on the west side (Did I get it right this time, John?) of the main track and parallel to it. The track would extend south toward the section house. For the time being, that track could be used for storage of trucks, wheel sets and miscellaneous rolling stock, clearing off the team track for other purposes.

At some point in the future, the new track could be connected to the current runaround track, with the present north runaround switch being removed. This would accomplish a couple of things. First, it would get a switch out from under the water tank, and second, it would lengthen the yard lead, thus keeping switching moves off the main track. It would also streamline two-train operations (such as we had at Halloween) by allowing the outbound train to wait in the clear on the siding until the inbound train is in the station.

Obviously, a construction project like this would necessitate some earth-moving along the bank on the west side of the main track and preparation of a grade. However, once the switch is built, the track could be constructed and left in skeletal form at whatever length is needed for storage of lighweight equipment, without ballast, until the track needs further upgrading. Think of it somewhat in the same vein as the original siding at Top of the Mountain.

John McNamara replied:
deleted

Steve Smith replied:
Wayne,

The siding you propose and your suggested uses for it sound good to me, assuming the required earthmoving (and maybe ledge blasting?) didn't prove to be a killer. Its eventual connection to the runaround track would also be useful.

By "north run around switch" I guess you mean what I usually hear referred to as the "yard switch," i.e., the one by the section house and water-tank-to-be. I don't think it would be good to remove that switch and make locomotives have to go up nearly to Stockford' before they could back down to couple to the north end of a train at the station. If having that switch at the water tank will be a problem, how about just moving it a short ways north?

Steve

Stephen Hussar replied:
I agree that a bit more storage track space would be a good thing -- you never know when a desirable piece of rolling stock, whether leased from another collection or discovered in a farmer's field, may become available.

Mike Fox replied:
Glad you decided to revisit this issue, Wayne. There have been several suggestions in the past about this and a car barn. My only concern with where you suggest is I wonder if it would be an eye sore to the public. We have a lot of clutter around the section house now. What if we were to swing the track so it was pointing almost due west from the Main line. and this would give us room for future expansion. Let me know what you think.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
Running a storage track behind the sheds would take the visual polution farther from the public eye.

Wayne Laepple replied:
Okay, I've opened this can o' worms, so let me try to answer the various questions. My answers are my own opinions and do not reflect anything official whatever.

Steve, I suggested moving the yard switch away from the area of the water tank since any drippage from the tank or spout will result in ice forming in and on the track (and the switch) if we are operating in the winter months. And of course, someone will have to poke around on that bank next to the track to see if there much ledge in it. Then the decision will have to be made whether blasting is necessary or we come up with another plan. I suggested putting the switch up close to Stockford's crossing to allow for the possibility of a switch coming off the siding to access the Percival property.

Mike, my thoughts concerning the clutter beside the section house is that the wheel sets could be stored on the south end of the new track. From what I've observed of it, probably a fair amount of stuff there could go to the scrapyard. The problem with angling the proposed track away from the main track is that the curve would have to be pretty sharp. I think if we clean up and organize the area around the section house, the majority of the junk will be gone.

Ira, note my comment to Mike above. If we move the yard switch further north and put in another switch off the main track, it may not be possible to angle into the woods behind the section house. And recall that there's an intermittent stream in that area and a rise in the ground on the south side of that stream.

Wayne Laepple replied:
I just spent an hour or so reviewing the original car storage and roundhouse threads. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed both of those discussions.

Near the end of the car storage thread, Jason suggested a switch off the main track up near Stockford's crossing to angle away frm the main track to a storage building near the intermittent stream. There seemed to be consensus that that would be the best location for a car storage building. So perhaps we could consider an intial step of building a switch off the main track and extending the track perhaps 100 feet more or less. This would give us storage space for wheel sets, special purpose cars and perhaps the two flatcars in the short range. In future, when we build the carhouse, the track would become the lead to that structure, and perhaps an outdoor spur could be included for wheels sets, etc.

Mike Fox replied:
Thanks for your ideas Wayne. Yes we have disscussed the track and roundhouse/carstorage here on the forum and with others in person at the museum. I don't remember if it was brought up in the roundhouse thread, but one idea being tossed around was a switch just north of the present mainline switch to the yard, points facing south, to head off to the west into the Percival Purchase. Either way, this storage is something that should be looked into in the near future.
And as for ledge, I don't think there is any there. The terrain is not right for it. Atleast near the surface. The larger hardwood trees have deep roots and don't survive long directly ontop of ledge. And there seem to be plenty there on that lot.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
I like the idea of running the storage track in behind the section house.  Yes it would require a culvert at the intermittant stream but a track feeding south from a switch near Stockford's would help in a number of ways.  For now it would be a storage lead.  In the future it could have the spur feed off of it to a car storage building.  The track could also be extended south to feed into the turntable if the roundhouse was built just west of the existing yard.  If the turntable was located in that erea, another track cound come off the south end of the turntable pit and tie into our existing team track.

I know some of this is way in the future but this design would give us a more flexible yard.  I still favor a small handcar house in the level area just north of the water tank.  This would be a good place for some of our special purpose cars.  If they were there, they wouldn't be "stuck" behind other rolling stock requiring extra switching.

Ira Schreiber replied:
Very good points, Stewart.
I am shocked, however, that someone agreed with me!
I must be losing my touch.

Josh Botting replied:
You all should keep in mind the amount of time which is required to machine each switch.

Joe Fox replied:
Josh, I was told a switch point can be made in two or three days if it is worked on at least 8 hours a day.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
If it is a switch that is going to be put in anyway, what does it matter how much time is put into it. It is not like it will be installed and used once in a while. A properly placed switch would open up a lot more opportunities for storage and expansion.
Mike

Mike Fox replied:
I went back and found this diagram done by Frank Knight. It actually shows a siding along the main on the West side. But the switch is on the south side.

Image by Frank Knight

Mike Fox replied:
And here is yet another one done up by Mike White. The siding goes farther away from the track as I interpret what Wayne is suggesting but still gives one an idea. These are all possible locations. And a double ended siding in this area might work to our advantage once completed, sometime down the road. I am not sure how the coal and or Ballast storage would work in that area but in the future, it might turn out to be a good spot for it.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
I was under impression that most folks think the roundhouse should be eventually be built to the west of the existing yard so that it is part of the "picture" at Sheepscot. Putting a roundhouse in the area of the drawing above would involve a lot of earth-moving.

Last fall, after we talked all around the carhouse subject, Jason came up with the idea of a building at an angle to the main track to the west of the main and north of the current section house location, fed from a track coming off the main south of Stockford's. If we could settle on a location for such a structure, the switch and part of the lead track could be built first and used for storage until such time as we erect a carhouse.

Perhaps someone should go up on the Percival purchase and temporarily stake out a 30 x 100 area and eyeball how tracks could be brought to it. Then maybe some planning for the switch and track could take place.

Stephen Hussar replied:
I'm really looking forward to the many conversations we're going to have about this stuff next month. I only wish I could be there all three days! 

Mike Fox replied:
Wayne, I was jus putting those back on for track layout purposes. I too am under the impression that the roundhouse is desired by the current car shop, though I am not sure how that would fit in that area. I think it would work in the current volunteer parking area but we can save that discussion for another thread. I'll see if I can repost someting else with yet another track plan.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
Although I agree that a good location for the roundhouse would be near the current car shop, it doesn't look like there would be enough room based on the property boundary lines that I have seen in previous posts between the current museum property and the Percival residence lot.
If it could somehow be built there,  the roundhouse and turntable would be a nice interest point for visitors at the Sheepscot station - especially with a nice gallows turntable for all to see, right JML?

Stewart Rhine replied:
Here's my take on the layout.  Flip Mike W's design so the roundhouse is west of the existing yard with the doors facing east.  The turntable is between the structure and the yard and the tt lead track feeds in from the north, from behind the section house.  This is an extension of the storage track we've been discussing.  Another track could go south from the tt pit and tie into the existing team track.  The team track may have to be moved west for this config.

The roundhouse would have a run through stall with track going a couple of sticks out the back into the driveway.  The rails would be covered up to the rail head so a truck could pull up to the door.  The truck could back inside if the floor is finished to the rail head like our shop.

This design allows easy viewing by the public, easy transfer of tools and equipment between the round house and current car house, and an easy run of power and water to the round house.  The roundhouse should have pull down smoke jacks so fire up can occur inside.  The engine can be watered inside as well.

Mike Fox replied:
How is this Stewart. Not to scale by any means. Property lines are probably not in the correct area either. Image is originally one of Frank Knight's again.
Mike

Original Image by Frank Knight. Modified by Mike Fox

Wayne Laepple replied:
Well, I may be off base a bit, but I think the roundhouse should be about 90 degrees from where it is shown above. I suspect the lead to the turntable as shown above would have a very sharp curve at some point. If a switch leading to the turntable was located right at the south end of the curve around the current shop, it would be a straight shot to the turntable. The coal shed could then be located somewhere about where the roundhouse is show above, giving easy access for the truck making the coal delivery. And if the right-hand stall was made the run through track, eventually, a second access could be made from up near the section house.

Keep in mind that the eventual goal is to turn the engine after each trip, and  the more time needed to maneuver from the station to the turntable and back, the longer the dwell time between trips. If it takes 15 or 20 minutes to run from Sheepscot to Route 218 and the same amount of time to return, and we want to turn the engine at both ends of the trip, we won't be able to run hourly trips.

MikeW replied:
You now show the roundhouse on Clarissa's property.  Is this now a possibility?

Mike Fox replied:
Are you talking this way Wayne? My only concern with this way is we loose the team track. But we should not need it unless the car storage track is unbuilt.
Mike

James Patten replied:
Jason's favorite spot for a roundhouse/turntable is about where Mike's second map shows it to be, maybe a little further west, although I believe his idea is to have a turntable lead come off Track 7 to the turntable, and the roundhouse leads point north off of the turntable.

In other words, the turntable would be where the parking lot between the shop and residence is now, with the roundhouse in the low area just north of the that.

As someone has pointed out, that's on the Percival family property.  It won't be possible without us owning that property.  Here's what I understand will happen regarding that property.

If none of the kids want the property, it will be appraised and sold.  The Museum is to have right of first refusal.  At this point I don't think anyone knows what the intentions of the kids are, nor would I want to speculate here.  If we are offered the property, it is pretty clear that we want to take it.  So start saving your pennies.

For now, I think we have to act (at least on this forum) as though we don't own the property (which we don't) and as if somebody is living there.

Mike Fox replied:
Ok then. How about this? Did I get it right this time. Again, all lines are approximate including property and track locations. Buildings are not to scale.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Please remember that nothing can happen with Clarissa's property for the time being.  It is up to the Percival family to decided what happens with their property.  If things change I know our Board will handle the situation in the best interest for all parties.

If things do change, the planned locations of the roundhouse and car storage building would be redrawn.

Mike, good version of the plans but they show the roundhouse facing either north or south.  What if it faces east and the lead comes in from the right as you face the building.  The engine would come on the tt and a 1/4 turn would line it for the stall.  The roundhouse would be a bit north of where you show it in the second plan, set back more and facing east.  I know this is a radical departure from the standard "lead comes at the front" plan but I think it would work well for the area is that's available.

If no one likes this set up it's ok with me.  Just think of how it would look from the yard and the road.  The first plan gives us a "wall of buildings" as seen from the Cross road.  My plan allows for some green/open space along the road.

Mike Fox replied:
Stewart,
This is what I like about these disscussions. Input. I said everything was approximate. And just trying to get it to look right. I'll play around with it some more but I think the way you are talking, wouldn't that put the roundhouse on Clarrissa's? The property lines are just an estimate so we don't actually know what will fit where until some measurements are made in the future. So I'll fiddle with it some more and move the turtable a little to see what everyone thinks then.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
There is a song that was released in the 1950's that never made "The Hit Parade" titled "The Railroad Ran Through the Middle of the House"
This might be applied to the Percival property.
Just kidding, but the song is real........

Mike Fox replied:
I think we have gotten away from Wayne's original car storage thread. I have created a few more options for the roundhouse and will post them on the roundhouse thread.
Mike

John McNamara replied:
There is a song that was released in the 1950's that never made "The Hit Parade" titled "The Railroad Ran Through the Middle of the House"
This might be applied to the Percival property.
Just kidding, but the song is real........

"...and the trains are all on time. Here comes the 4:09! [roar]"

Ira Schreiber replied:
I  was wondering who would be the first to reply to that diddy.....Now I know, John.
Who was the vocalist? I don't remember.
Any other "grayhead" have any ideas?

Wayne Laepple replied:
Do bald heads count? Anyway, down here in this part of Penna., in about 1902, when one of the local trolley lines was being built, they had to move a barn in order to give them a good approach to a bridge over a river. The farmer was quoted in the local paper as saying "I'll be d----d if I'm going to open the barn door every time one of them things comes along."

Wayne Laepple replied:
And yes, we have strayed a long way from a storage track, haven't we? All I was looking for was a possible solution to a place for various orphan rolling stock, trucks, wheel sets, etc., to clear off the team track. Somehow we migrated to a carhouse and then a roundhouse. Isn't there a referee around here somewhere?

Mike Fox replied:
I think he is asleep at his desk!!! Either that or snowed in.
Mike

John McNamara replied:
I  was wondering who would be the first to reply to that diddy.....Now I know, John.
Who was the vocalist? I don't remember.
Any other "grayhead" have any ideas?

Thanks to the marvels of Google (325 hits) one can listen and/or download "The Railroad Comes Through the Middle of the House" as sung by Vaughn Williams. http://www.soundsofyesteryear.com/rockisland/rockisland.htm (You automatically get "Rock Island Line" at this site, but you can scroll done to other songs.)
Note that we both erred in saying "railroad runs" rather than "railroad comes." "Comes" is correct. I also erred iin mentioning the 4:09; it should have been the 5:09.
Enjoy!
Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion

Ira Schreiber replied:
Thanks for the reference.
I thought it was the 5:09 but you know how the memory is, or did you forget?
Ira

Ira Schreiber replied:
Vaughn MONROE is the vocalist.
And this is the end.............................

James Patten replied:
**snore**

Referee??  Did somebody call my name?

*Looks around*

Everything looks fine to me.  Carry on!

I'm not too concerned with discussions on a storage track thread turning into building discussions, since one leads to the other (pun intended).

Mike Fox replied:
James, don't you mean into the other?

And John, you were just on Daylight savings time.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
Daylight Savings Time doesn't start until next weekend, guys.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Mike,  Thanks for the re-worked plans on the roundhouse thread.  The second one (with the roundhouse facing east) looks real good.

To answer everyone's question about the space - yes, the plan I favor depends on our purchasing Clarissa's land.  IF that happens the turntable could go in the existing low area next to the yard just a bit southwest of the oil house.  The roundhouse would go behind/west of it where the trees are now.  The driveway to the house would be extended to reach the back of the roundhouse.  The proposed storage track would feed into the turntable from the north. Another track could tie the turntable into the existing team track on the south side.  (see Mike's post)

Mike Fox replied:
Stewart,
Now I'm scratching my head. I think I know what you mean though. And you mean the first one, with the doors facing east, right? I'll fiddle with it some more and post a new one on the roundhouse thread.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
Since any discussion of a roundhouse on Clarissa's property is speculative at this time, perhaps we can return to the storage track idea. When I opened this discussion the other day, my goal was to alleviate concerns about filling up the team track with non-revenue equipment. Perhaps Frank and/or Rick can make a topographic survey of the Percival purchase, after which a determination can be made whether additional clearing and grading of that land is practical. Then perhaps we can do some preliminary grading to permit construction of a switch off the main track and perhaps 90 feet of track. Any ground removed to create the grade for track can be used as fill on the east side of the main track north of the water tank, or if it is determined that a carhouse can be built on the Percival purchaset, the ground could be graded out as fill.

In my opinion, putting a roundhouse and carhouse right next to each other would jam up the space and would detract from the "picture" at Sheepscot. As I recall from earlier discussion, the role of the carhouse was secure, dense storage for rolling stock, not a part of the illusion of Sheepscot station. And, if the board has decided (or will decide) to add to the Sheepscot shop building, a carhouse will not be necessary for the foreseeable future.

And, if future circumstances dictate that a structure be built on the Percival purchase, the roundhouse could be built there. However, that does not foreclose building a switch and 100 feet of track beforehand.

Mike Fox replied:
Wayne,
I just put that enginehouse and turntable for looks and to put thoughts into everyones head. Good or bad. Anyhow, if you look back on page 2 of this topic, omit the roundhouse and look at the car barn on Percival Purchase. I think this is what you are talking about. Or do you want more of a curve so the doors are facing more East. I think if we come much closer to the track, we will have to relocate the little stream that occasionally flows through there, or put in a long enough culvert for it to pass under a future shed. Let me know what you are thinking and I'll play around with some diagrams to see if I can make it look like you vision it.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
That's exactly my point, Mike. If we do some grading on the west side of the main track south of Stockford's, we can build a switch and lay a temporary storage track. Then when the time comes, whether the decision is for a roundhouse or a carhouse, addtional grading can take place and the track alignment can be altered to suit.

mikechoochoo replied:
What about a large building with sprinklers to house not only WWF equipment but also  equipment on loan from other museums that don't have the space.
Try to tell the story of all the Maine  two footers.  Portland has some nicely restored pieces and they have done a good job, but unfortunately too much equipment  for the space they have. Most of their outside display looks pretty bad. I'm not saying this wouldn't take a lot of planning on where to build and cooperation between the museums, but I feel it should be discussed since it looks like there's room.

In any event build the storage barn three times bigger than you think is needed and install sprinklers.

Just my thoughts, I may not have posted before but I have been thinking about this for a year.

Mikechoochoo

Mike Fox replied:
Right now we don't have the time or space to take more equipment from other organizations. It would be nice to be able to offer something like that, but if we did, the proposed building of a car barn or extension of the current shop would then not be large enough.
As for the use of sprinklers, They would help in case of a fire but the system would have to be drained in the fall unless the building is heated. And I don't think heating a building like that would be a good idea.
Mike

Glenn Christensen replied:
Hello again,

Having visited dozens of railroad and other museums and spoken with many preservation professionals over a period of several decades, I would like to share some of the museum best practice standards that I have observed.

1) It is best to keep locomotive shop and car shop facilities separate.  The two have different needs and different profiles as regards fire safety.

2) 3 of the 5 original Maine Two-Footers experienced enginehouse fires.  The Bridgton enginehouse burned, the WW&F engine house burned, the Rangeley enginehouse burned and the Phillips roundhouse burned.  In recent times, some stupid kids burned coach #17 and #26 at Edaville, the Durango roundhouse burned, Edaville's original gift shop burned along with several adjacent boxcars, the old Cog Railway depot burned, and the car repair shop National Trolley Museum in Wheaton, MD burned.  There may be other examples that I simply don't know of.  The point, fires can and do happen - even at sites that are careful about preventing fires - and they are not particularly rare.  I hesitate to think of what a fire in our car shop/engine shop facility could do to the WW&F.  We hold our collection in trust for future generations.  If we are to keep that trust, some sort of fire suppression system is a good idea, period!

3) One strategy to minimize the damage that could be caused by a fire would be to separate our equipment repair and storage facilities into several smaller facilities.  Logic seems to dictate that the bigger a storage facility and the more varied its usage, the greater the chance of fire, the greater the potential for disasterous results and the greater the need for fire suppression.

My two cents ...

Best Regards,
Glenn

Mike Fox replied:
What would be great is that if we had enough space, is to keep thigs separate like is mentioned. And if it is planned that way, and carried out that way, then we should keep it that way. A storage building should be used just for storage. Not restoration or repair. A shop is for that. Currently everything is done under one roof which is what everone is trying to get away from. I myself like the idea of having the car barn located on the Percival purchase as it is pictured on my previous post. It would be far enough away to prevent any fire from a nearby structure and will get things undercover.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
Since the git-go last fall, when I started the original thread on a storage building, I made it clear that I perceived the need for a secure and fireproof storage building for our precious artifacts. I don't think it should have any provisions for visitors or for any shop activities. At the same time, I advocated several smaller carhouses rather than one huge barn to protect our assets. With proper planning of land use, building multiple carhouses should be achieveable.

I still believe it would be better to build a carhouse rather than expanding the shop to be used for car storage. If the shop is expanded, it should be to provide additional space for restoration and construction of replica rolling stock. The current machine shop would provide plenty of room as a machine shop, especially if storage and woodworking operations were relocated into another area. A separate blacksmith shop with forge could be built of brick to reduce fire danger. The roundhouse, as the original WW&F roundhouse, should be used to house locomotives on a day-to-day basis. This separation of facilities should insure that, in the event of a catastrophe, some part of the collection would remain.

Mike Fox replied:
Wayne,
I believe that little stream we were speaking of runs by the estimated property line. Just north of the section house. I think you said you liked this design a couple of pages ago so I'll post this again to prevent people from having to look back. Just an estimate here. Nothing in stone. One of Frank Knights creations I modified.
Mike

mikechoochoo replied:
It's true that the museum has enough to do just keeping everthing maintained and building new track. However I think a big car storage shed that could store more than what the museum owns is a lot more logical than building a bridge and crossing a highway and getting the FRA involved in the affairs of the museum. And yes I'm speaking long term here.
Also sprinkler systems don't have water in them they have compressed air.
A small heated area  (6x6 would do) contains the water valve, If the air pressure drops because a sprinkler head opens water floods the lines. It can also activate an alarm. I'm also sure the system could be set up to start a generator to power a pump. It could all be tied into the water tank as a primary source of water. This might cost a little, but with all the work that has gone into restorations it would be worth it

Ira Schreiber replied:
That sprinkler system is known as a "dry pipe" system. It is what several rail museums use and we all know what disasterous fires various museums have suffered without active sprinkler systems.
A major grant writing push can do wonders for many of these projects. The use of a professional grant writer seems to be the key.
The building of a storage building and the extension of the railroad are mutually exclusive, IMHO.

Mike Fox replied:
I know the setup of sprinkler systems and how they operate fairly well. But to run a sprinkler system, you need to have a source of water. If it were to be tied into the well some how that might work. But if you were to heat a small room in a building or have any electricity running to the building, there are 2 potential sources for ignition there.
And as for hooking to the water tank, unless it is heated in the winter, I think it will be drained. I'd hate to see the new tank split wide open because the water froze solid.
Just thinking for a second here, I have thought of this. If a Car Barn is built on the Percival Purchase, there will be an area that needs to be filled. We could make a cement walled room below finished grade at the south end of the building to contain the wet side of a sprinkler system. It wouldn't need much heat to stay warm (75W or 100W lightbulb) and wouldn't be taking up valuable storage space. The only problem would occur if someone forgot to turn on the lightbulb.
Mike

James Patten replied:
I've always thought we have an excellent source of sprinkler water located in the pond across the street from us, which was enlarged to be a fire pond a dozen or so years ago.

The only problem is getting water from there to the Museum.  Put an intake pipe out in the middle of the pond (or near the intake for the pumper truck) and run it under the road and parking lot.  Expensive, probably, but there's a lot of water in the pond.

mikechoochoo replied:
It might be possable to remove a sprinkler system from a building slated for demolition and rehab it. Say and old cold storage warehouse. You have a lot of urban areas near you, even Boston isn't that far. Who knows what you could turn up. Anyway its worth thinking about ways it could be done. No one person has all the answers and I'm just throwing out ideas. Just out of curiosity does anyone know the gallons per minute of the well?
Mikechoochoo

Mike Fox replied:
Some one will have to check with Zack on that one. But you are definately on to something.
Mike

Mike Fox replied:
Time to renew the interest in the storage thread. Over the summer during my travels, I have been looking at metal storage buildings. Several look excellent and from as little as 100 feet, they look like board and batten siding. And the color could be the railroad colors of light and dark green.
Some questions though. Size? How many and what type of doors should the track enter through? Sliding or hinged like on the current enginehouse?  Windows or none for security? And I was thinking of mayby some skylights to have natural lighting. Any thoughts? Just trying to get an idea of what the building should look like. I have spoken with Zack and he is in favor of the idea. I know we have plenty of time to plan this because of our other priorities. But right now, planning is free and time is on our side.
Mike

Wayne Laepple replied:
Okay, Mike. I'll dive right in here. I would be in favor of three hinged doors similar to those on the Sheepscot shop building. No windows. I would favor only one man door, but I think the code requires two. The fewer ways in, the fewer opportunities for mischief.

Of course, the size and configuration of the carhouse we were talking about last winter may have to be revised, since it appears that both an addition to the present shop and a roundhouse are in the offing before a carhouse is needed. If we are careful about how we expand the fleet of rolling stock, perhaps three 100-foot tracks won't be necessary. A structure, say 20 by 75 or so, with only two tracks may be more esthetically pleasing and easier to fit into the space available.

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
Hi guys,

I'm in favor of such a building, and with planning it now; but I like that Wayne recognized our priorities.  While not set in stone, there is a heavy bit of favoritism for expanding the current shop first as a more reachable project both from a track work standpoint and financially.  I'm looking forward to using the sawmill to cut the beams for the structure.

Such an expansion would add 6 cars of inside storage for us, likely enough to satisfy the issue for several years, maybe 10 or 15.  This may buy time and end up showing an entirely new location for the car storage building.

Now we'll have storage for 10 or 15 years, but no elbow (working) room, so the need for actual working shop space will be the importance of the new building I believe.  The new building could become dead storage and we convert the current (enlarged) shop to working space (my preference), or vice versa.  Obviously this ought to be decided, as the expansion of the current shop will either have to occur in a manner which will promote shop space (i.e. few posts) and dictate the planned size and layout of the new building.

Random thoughts.  This all fits into our long range plan- which the board is lately really coming to realize as a real priority list.  Parking lots and bathrooms are at the top.  Then shop expansion, then likely a coach to take some burden off of Coach 3.

see ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple replied:
An addition to the current shop adding 30 feet or so to its length would certainly be welcome, and as Jason has pointed out, would afford covered, secure storage to up to six cars. Assuming flatcars 118 and 126 (and perhaps excursion car 103) do not require indoor storage, boxcar 309, caboose 320 and coaches 3 and 8, as well as the four locomotives could be sheltered.

I think construction that would include an addition to the current machine shop to house woodworking equipment and perhaps less-used machine tools, but no track, would allow the aisleways in the current building to be at least partially cleared of workbenches and machines, providing more space for restoration.

If a plan can be developed, this project certainly has possibilities for grant consideration, either for construction or for outfitting the facility.

Mike Fox replied:
That's what I was figuring all along. No work to be done in the storage building. Just cold storage. Perhaps even without power to decrease the chance of fire. Clear plastic corrugated style skylights would do for lighting.
I know this is not top priority and should not be. But we should be thinking of what is needed in the future.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
If accessibility and design permits, a building could serve as both a storage and display building.
A 3 track wide building could have the center track surfaced to rail-height level so that visitors could walk over it safely to observe what is stored on the outside tracks.  When no visitors are around, the operating train could be stored on the center track.

Mike Fox replied:
Nice Idea Bill. And a 2 car train is almost normal for us. So if the storage building was ong enough, that would work.
Mike
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum