Author Topic: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread  (Read 214998 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
Let's add in the question of panchromatic film versus orthochromatic film. From http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Panchromatic:

"Panchromatic means sensitive to all colours of light. Early orthochromatic film had very little sensitivity to red light, leaving red subjects as black in the resulting images. Panchromatic film - originally made by adding dyes to red-insensitive film, a result of work by Dr. Adolf Miethe, is capable of recording red subjects, as its sensitivity range reaches wavelengths of 660-730 nm (orange/red to red). Panchromatic films had decreased sensitivity in the 490-540 nm area (blue to green), but were, however, still much too sensitive to blue light (what resulted e.g. in pictures with too bright sky and clouds invisible against white background), therefore required a yellow filter for correct representation of blue color brightness."

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
I wonder just what color the car builder painted the flatcar on which the boxcar was delivered?

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2015, 01:01:17 AM »
After looking all over 67 I believe I found gray paint. This is spot is on the outside sheathing at the north end of the car about eye level above the buffer block. You can find multiple shades of red, a coat of white paint and I found yellow in places on the car.

67 also had all the temporary interior braces and plywood patches removed from the car this week. The old Edaville electrical wiring was ripped out and the interior was swept out. The car was also photographed extensively inside and out.

The roof

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:38:42 AM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »
Maybe by this time next year, boxcar 67 will be saying Merry Christmas to everyone. Merry Christmas everyone!           Fred!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »
Some pictures of the work done on December 26:

Started by removing wall boards.  By 9 AM:

Continued with the wall, mostly working by myself after 10.  By lunch (11:30):

Around 3:15 or so, the roof came off:

At 4, this is what was left:

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »
Reminds me of an old saying on the New Haven Railroad for a major locomotive overhaul:  Jack the whistle up and slide a new locomotive underneath.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
A time lapse vid of James and helpers ripping along here would have been entertaining.
Dang, he's fast!
The well-used deck and tired frame looks next, not to mention trucks.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:49:15 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »
I wonder just what kind of condition the trucks are in?  Or has that been discussed already?

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2015, 12:59:11 AM »
More 67 deconstruction pictures. Most of the car framing was shot. Every vertical member was rotted at the bottom and everything in the door areas or spots where the exterior sheathing was missing was rotted. One 10 foot section of framing pretty much fell apart when the vertical tension rods were cut. All the vertical tension rods were corroded to the point you could twist the rods off by hand at the sills. Lots of detail pictures have been taken and sketches made of grab iron locations and framing details. The next step is to strip the floor off and flip the frame upside down to strip it down for rebuild. The center sills look like they are reusable. The outside sills and end beams are shot. The trucks need a complete rebuild all the wood parts are no good. Flat car 126 needs a truck rebuild also and the intention is to rebuild both sets of trucks this winter.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »
About a third of the floor has been pulled up. The buffer block and end sill is off the north end. The end sill fell apart while removing the buffer block.

This is one of the bolts that goes down through the floor and sills to hold the draft gear on. This one was in the end sill and shows what happens when wet wood and iron mix.

Top end of the bolt assembly.

Bottom end.

The big end of the bolt is a casting that locks into the car floor and holds the actual bolt head,

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
Wow awesome work so far! If you find old iron that you want to recover, I would suggest investigating the electrolytic rust removal as a means of removing all rust without impacting the remaining good metal. One can either build an electrolysis tank with a battery charger and some other help or find someone who deals with old iron that already has one. P.S. don't do this inside or near an open flame because the process releases hydrogen gas.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Steve

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »
Wow, you guys don't let any grass grow under you!! 67 already torn down and No. 10 stripped  down for inspection.  I wonder what we'll see three days from now??

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2015, 02:48:55 AM »
Is all of the side frame wood gone or will you scarf on some lower pieces
where it was rotted off so you can say some of the wood was original?
Not much sense in calling it original if you jacked up the roof and rolled
a new car under. Looks like most of the iron will have to be replaced also.

This will be like George Washington's ax - the one that cut down the cherry tree.
The head has been replaced twice and the handle four times - but it is the one that cut down
the cherry tree alright.

Happy New Year Guys

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
I dunno....even if it is basically a newly built car with only a few pieces of the original built back in, it would still be a reasonable facsimile of No. 67.  Heck, railroads rebuilt cars over and over again, so who can say, with certainty, that most of it is original anyway?  It will be great to see it restored/replicated/rebuilt or whatever, and watch it rolling along the track behind steam!!

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes...restoration of 67 to its original design, even if most original wood and metal is too far gone for re-use, will be, as usual, expertlyly rebuilt with similar materials.
Sounds like the best to be expected.

Happy New Year. 
Paul Uhland