Author Topic: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread  (Read 214984 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
I think that we are getting ahead of ourselves. It will probably be at least a year before anything serious happens to #67.
That is plenty of time to formulate a plan and, more  importantly, raise the necessary funds.
We have a lot on our plate for the present and future.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
Rebuild/restore it to B&SR everything. Including the car in a WW&F freight on occasion would be like "rare mileage" to some people...pretty cool.
SH

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
We do publish and hand out to ticketed passengers an 8-page museum guide, which gives a short history of the Maine two-footers, a more detailed history of the W&Q/WW&F and the museum, and a brief description of each locomotive and car in our collection.  Regardless of the final decision on how the restored car will appear, this booklet can tell visitors the story of this car.
What–me worry?

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
Who knows - maybe a SR&RL car may show up in the future.  Whatever the powers-that-be decides on the policy would probably apply to other "foreign road" cars.
Barring a miracle - probably we'll never see a genuine KC or Monson car appear.
I remember seeing various proposals mapped out that would have connected the W&Q/WW&F with the SR/SR&RL via the FS&K that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.  There were also a southern extension of the Monson and 2 separate connections to the KC at Togus proposed at various times.  Only the B&SR / B&HR was left out the the 2 foot network due to the distance to/from western Maine.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
Ira

You must be a youngster - a year is no time at all.
Just last week we were celebrating New Year.
It seems I just changed the Calendar and it is the 21st already. (and yes I changed it on the 1st)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »
67 was moved into the car barn today.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
Thanks Brendan :)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
I don't see any floodlights in those pictures, so I guess the translucent roof panels really do let in a lot of light.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
67 was unwrapped this afternoon and some of the transport bracing was removed to allow easier interior inspection.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »
One thing that would be interesting is that maybe somewhere on the car are remanents of the gray and red paint. A little light hand sanding might prove interesting. There are a lot of shades of gray and red, it would be nice to know the right shades.
Mike N.
Mike Nix

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
There are at least "fifty shades of gray"

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
The car was never grey or gray. It was built in 1905, and the earliest photo I can find of it show it red
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »
I'm not a wooden freight car expert, nor do I play one on TV.  So the following are my observations of the car, plus what I gleaned from conversations.

This morning I took a look at B&SR 67.  Zack and Mike were inside it walking around, so the floor is clearly in good shape.  I peeked underneath, and the long stringers look fine.  The outer stringers (sills) probably will need replacing, as will the end sills.  I think the ceiling is tender, but didn't get a close look at it (but I could see plywood here and there).  The interior bracing generally looks solid, although it was dark inside so couldn't see much details.  Probably most of the outside sheathing will need to be replaced.

Overall, I'd say the car is in better shape than our 309 was when it returned from Connecticut.  If memory serves, 309's floor was gone or badly rotted, and the box had fallen around the body.  So it needed a lot of bracing to get the box up to stay up.  309 had a metal roof, which I don't think 67 has, so I think most of 309's roof work could be saved.  So 67 is probably marginally better than 309 was.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
According to Zack, the car is indeed in better shape than 309. The upper part of most interior bracing and framework looks good, but there is some hidden spots that may have rot, as well as around the doors. This car is as original as it gets, never having been restored. It spent it's after Bridgton life sitting next to the station in Edaville, where it was wired for lights. Then came to Portland in 1993 with the big move, and put up on the side hill.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
The car was never grey or gray. It was built in 1905, and the earliest photo I can find of it show it red

But wasn't the B&SR still using the gray and red paint scheme in 1905? I seem to remember a photo of B&SR engine no. 5 with a couple of gray boxcars at Bridgton Junction in Two Feet to the Lakes which Jones dates to 1906. (Sorry I don't have the page number because I'm not at home right now, but I was looking at it just last week.) When did they make the switch to red?