Author Topic: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread  (Read 214987 times)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
The queen posts castings have come in so the rest of the truss rods can be installed. Once the truss rods are in the frame can be flipped over and work on the box framing can begin.

The turnbuckles on three of the truss rods were completely rusted in place and the threads had rusted away. To save the truss rods the decision was made to cut the old turnbuckles out and weld in a new turnbuckle assembly.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:32:12 PM by James Patten »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
All the truss rods were put on 67 today and the frame was flipped back upright. Some repair work needs to be done on the tops original center sills and the frame will be finished.

New queen post casting. There are eight queen post castings and the car was missing five of the castings. The truss rods sit in the queen posts.

One of the bolster castings was broken and had to be replaced with a new casting.

Truss rods installed.

Car frame flipped upright.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2016, 10:21:04 PM »
So, in looking at the pictures, would I be correct that the only wood parts we were able to salvage were the four longitudinal stingers plus a lot of the medal parts/trucks, etc?  That still makes this a rebuild of the original car doesn't it?

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2016, 11:01:34 PM »
Yes, pretty much the exact same thing we had to do to 309 from what I hear.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2016, 11:29:57 PM »
Great work, as usual.
Will  the rebuilt trucks be placed underneath the frame before the walls/roof are built, permitting the project to be moved where necessary?
Paul Uhland

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2016, 01:47:07 AM »
Trucks will not go underneath until the box framing and tension rods are installed because the upper frame must be built with the base level.  We spent about half an hour leveling the main frame after it was flipped so there is a good plane of referance to get the studs plumb.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
Bill,
Roof framing was able to be saved, and only needs a few pieces replaced.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »
Marcel cutting out rotted sections of the original center sills for replacement.

A section of original side sill was salvaged to cut replacement wood out of for the center sills.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »
Considering the poor condition of the locomotive cabs and car frames when we receive them it is simply amazing what Marcel can accomplish recovering and preserving the wood so we preserve as much of the original as possible.  Well Done Marcel!

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
One would wonder if Booth Bay would trade their WW&F box car for a restored #67 box car?  That would give us the last missing piece of original rolling stock.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2016, 05:38:43 AM »
Good idea!  I hope the BOD will pursue; It would be a win-win for both organizations.
Moxie Bootlegger

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2016, 06:25:42 AM »
It has occurred to us for many (20+) years to offer a deal to return 312 to the WW&F.  A little perspective:

For Boothbay Railway, which itself was founded on the memory of the WW&F, this car represents their one connection to the original.  They have several SR&RL boxcars, but as their only Wiscasset car, they've been led to decline all previous offers.  That doesn't mean they would again, or that the offer of a Bridgton trade may make the difference; it may.  The point is though: just because it would "complete our collection" doesn't mean it holds no value to BRV.  They have made efforts to preserve the car and, I believe, have further plans.

We'll have a substantial fundraising and restoration effort into the Bridgton car.  If we traded, we'd be doing it again with 312.  Maybe that's ok- but I wouldn't presume so without getting the 67 project's stakeholders on board (those who donated; those who worked to raise the money, those working to restore the car).  All in all it may be best to stick with the plan and adopt 67 into our family.

Maybe there'll be an opportunity to return 312 to the WW&F at some point.  As usual there's more to the story than meets the eye, so it's important to remember the consideration made for a vast number of details with such deals. 

This idea was lightly discussed last fall, and set aside due to the effort we'll have into 67.  Anythings possible; at the moment we're excited to return 67 to service.

See ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2016, 06:42:12 AM »
Very nice explanation Jason. Boothbay Railway itself holds quite a few special pieces. And I would expect to go no where else but there to see them. It is a nice collection of purely Maine related railroad and other historic structures, railroad equipment and autos. The car is in an excellent location now.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
Personally I like the fact that there is a W&Q car down there, as well as several other  memorabilia artifacts down there. All of these things are small bits of advertisement to help spread the word of other places.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
[Moderator's Note]

I really only have a few simple guidelines for moderating discussions:
1. Don't speak with excessive or unwarranted negativity about other organizations.
2. Don't talk about items that the WW&F BOD has "in the works" where public discussion could jeopardize the "deal."
3. Refrain from discussing anything that the public could perceive as a safety issue.
4. Do not covet thy neighbor's equipment. (Or locomotive X needs to be at museum Y because it belongs there.)

I think Jason laid out the situation with Boothbay and car 312 very well. Let's leave it at that and move on.

That said, I am very impressed with the level of cooperation that is forming between the various Maine two-foot organizations. Each museum has its strengths and weaknesses, and we seem to now be coming together to build up our weak areas while taking advantages of our strengths. And with some really neat plans "in the works" (see #2, above) I can't wait to see how these shared relationships continue to grow.

-Ed 
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum