Author Topic: October 2015 Work Planning  (Read 44132 times)

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: October 2015 Work Planning
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
 Bill, The ROW south from Head Tide road to the highway was cleared several years ago and several walk bridges installed at wash-outs. How are the these improvements holding up?  I guess each year you have to keep up with under bush and weed control.  Fred L. Kuhns

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
Looks like the car barn is ready for some big MAIL POUCH TOBACCO advertising!  ;D
Used to see those big letters  on Pennsylvania barns during our Greyhound rides from Staten Island to visit steelworker relatives in Youngstown.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:42:26 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
Pete, the washout (the first compromise of the ROW north of TOM) was figured this summer, and a presentation to the board was made with my recommendations, which they stated they wanted bigger. So, I have planned a 48 inch steel culvert for that. Steel because it is so far down. After my initial assesment and research, I had settled on the minimum, which was 36". Going with the boards request did not increase the cost much more. 170 yards of fill will keep us busy for a bit.

Now as for the slide, that is another issue entirely, and am still researching the requirements needed along the base of it, as it may be within the flood plain of Trout Brook. But we will be ready when we get there.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
Wow, thanks for the run-down on all that! :D
My thoughts were leaning toward pre-fab concrete and the possibility of "dressing up" the ends to make it look like a stone culvert. ;)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »
The only problem we face with that would be the size needed. We would not be able to place the sections with our equipment. Too heavy.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »
Aha! Makes sense.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2015, 07:18:29 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday, October 31:

FYI, the Alna VFD is having a hunter's breakfast 4:30 - 9 on Saturday morning.  Come and support the fire company!

* Albion Day: Dave B is leading the charge.  Departure from Sheepscot around 8.
* Running trains at Sheepscot.  This is the last day of scheduled train operations this year (until Victorian Christmas).

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
All;
Please let me know if you will be attending Albion Day because Phil would like a count for lunch. He needs to know how much Road Kill Helper to buy I guess. ;D Thanks.
Dave

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »
All;
Please let me know if you will be attending Albion Day because Phil would like a count for lunch. He needs to know how much Road Kill Helper to buy I guess. ;D Thanks.
Dave
He ain't kiddin'.  Phil knows how to feed a crew.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
Work done on Saturday October 31, 2015.

This is a partial report because I went to Albion and had to leave early.

* Albion: The stub switch has got spacers on it, and has been hooked up to the bridge tender switch thrower.  We spiked a rail out the back of the engine house.  Dave B bush-whacked the weeds.  A couple of local fellows were looking the locomotive over.
* Sheepscot car barn: Friday some battens started going on.  The plan was to do more today.  More stone going in around the moat where the wire mesh went in.
* Old mill: A crew went to inspect an old mill in Vassalboro.  I'm not sure what the results of the inspection was supposed to be, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
* Old mill: A crew went to inspect an old mill in Vassalboro. 

Yet another mill?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2015, 10:21:44 PM »
A bit more:

* #9 - Marcel worked on the cab, installing the tie down irons.  He also worked on the doors.  A meeting was held with the paint crew to determine the next stage of installing the running boards.  The boards have been notched for the sand pipes, etc. and will be fit to the braces (drilled) so they can be primed.

* Car barn - Zack and Fred cleaned out the Prebles job shack to determine how many nails and other supplies we need to continue the project.  More battens were cut and corner boards were set.  A switching plan has been set for the coming week.  This includes #67 going into the car shop and #65 and 320 going into the center bay of the barn.  Big Joe will go into the car shop for brake work.

* Archives - Linda worked on more data entry of artifacts.

* Whitefield section house - Dark paint was applied to the south window casing so it better matches the shingles. 

* Garage - The area inside the small door was cleaned up with some things like square nuts going to the machine shop.

We had a nice lunch today, complete with fresh home made donuts for dessert. 

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
Hope someone gets some shots of the upcoming switching moves around the barn.  Should be interesting!

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
Uh, why was only the section house south window repainted?
Paul Uhland

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Because the paint would set up on the sunny side.  No sun of the north end this time of year.