Author Topic: Trout Brook Bridge - Official Work Thread  (Read 297308 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Trout Brook Bridge - Official Work Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
My understanding is that Tim Andrews of Barns and Bridges of New England, who holds the contract to reassemble the bridge, is allowing our volunteers to assist him under his direction and discretion. I also believe this is occurring based on Tim's availability/schedule. Jason may have some additional details...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:59:24 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »
Tim Andrews holds the contract to reassemble the bridge.  Wayne Duffett, our member and volunteer, is he lead engineer for our bridges.

Our agreement with NSPCB includes the provision of some volunteer labor to help them complete the reassembly of the bridge.  This was, in turn, a result of their agreement with Tim, as Tim’s contract was let a number of years ago and they desired not amending that contract.  In the spirit of cooperation, and to give volunteers the opportunity to take part, we agreed. 

We are being mindful of the resources this is using.  We hope to have the bridge compete before the end of the year.  So far- we’ve only had two days with Tim, and two days without Tim performing structural repairs to Wayne’s specification.

Thanks,
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
A further question now that the Pony Truss Bridge has been announced; which I think will be a wonderful piece of historic preservation. 

I imagine that the original abutments were cut stone. Are they still available? If not, will the new ones be poured concrete? They can be scribed to look like stone when they are done.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

Hi Ted.

Original abutments were wood. There is some still in place, but far from usable. The WW&F had split stone on the Whitefield Iron Bridge, but I think that was the only one.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
I think Ted may have been referring to the abutments at the Moose Brook site. I imagine those are still there, now supporting the bridge used on the bike trail.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
Ok. Well those are still in use. One of our members found a picture online of the "new" Moose Brook Bridge. I will have to look for what he found, amd share here.
Mike

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
Right after the bridge burned it was replaced with a non-covered wooden bridge since bikes and people are lighter than locomotives.

From bridgehunter.com ....

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:18:17 PM by Alex Harvilchuck »

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »
While hunting for the photo of the replacement bridge, I came across the following pdf, which is a presentation of the salvaging and restoration of the trusses of the Moose Brook Bridge.

http://www.woodcenter.org/docs/dayton-conference/MarstonAndrewsMesler_MooseBrook.pdf

Also, an article on the work done at Case Western Reserve.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/08/reconstructed_bridge_trusses_f.html

Jeff S.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:11:39 PM by Jeff Schumaker »
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Here's something you should know...
The plural of moose is moose.
The plural of trout is trout.

So, if we got 2 bridges, they would be collectively known as the Moose Trout Brook Bridge.

Ed,

What does a Moose Trout look like? ;D

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
Here's something you should know...
The plural of moose is moose.
The plural of trout is trout.

So, if we got 2 bridges, they would be collectively known as the Moose Trout Brook Bridge.

Ed,

What does a Moose Trout look like? ;D

Jeff S.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
While all this progress has been going on planning and assembling the bridge, Jason has been very busy assembling the Alna Shoreland Zoning application. I say assemble because it consists of almost as many different parts as the bridge. He has called on several of us for help during this process. I can not tell you how many hours I have spent, researching, proofing, discussing, measuring..and learning about turtles...

Today, Jason is in the final prep mode. A DEP rep will review it and suggest any corrections or changes. Submission to the town is set for Monday.

So, my hat is off to Jason. He has worked very hard on this recently, pulled help from those he needed it from, and compiled a very detailed permit application. Wait until you see some of it, you will be impressed.

Mike

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
I second what Mike has said. The application is very professional and detailed. Jason has worried and fretted over it, awoken at 3:15 a.m. for more worrying and has sought assistance from many of us. The information, research and materials he gathered will also be very helpful for the other permits we will need. I continue to stand in awe over the dedication, quality and professionalism of the many volunteers that propel the Museum forward. We are, indeed, very blessed.
Dave

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
Dave's comments apply to so very many of our volunteers who give so freely and willingly of their time and many talents to keep every aspect of our Museum moving forward.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »
Hear, hear! Yes, the amount of "behind the scenes" work that has been transpiring over the last few weeks (with Jason at the charge) has been nearly staggering. Another reason to be proud of our organization.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:10:02 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
Bill;
My comments in the last two sentences of my reply were meant to be applied to the many volunteers who help us in attaining our goal whether working at Sheepscot, toiling in their basement workshop, at the computer or writing checks. As the T-shirt says - "Many hands make the work light". I appreciate each and every volunteer who supports our effort.
Dave

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
One thing is sure, we have a lot of spectacular talent, and  an excellent bunch of volunteers (especially work weekenders) who are so eager to learn. The only real way to express ones appreciation is to think back to the days of barn raisings and such.