Author Topic: Casey the Bulldozer - Official Work Thread  (Read 26185 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Casey the Bulldozer - Official Work Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »
It has been a few years, but time to move this thread up to the top. Casey has been toiling away since its arrival with only some minor repairs. In order to continue using the machine, we need to invest in its future. We are doing that this year.

The most wear items on a dozer is the blade and under carriage. While the track pads are ok, the chains they bolt to are worn out. The bushings are gone around the pins and there is sideward play in the chain allowing it to fall off easily. I had been passively looking for new chains but kept coming up empty. That is until I was handed a magazine that had used equipment in it. There was a parts broker that had an ad that was in NH I contacted, and found us what is possibly the last 2 chains in the country. They arrived at my work yesterday.

We plan on replacing the bottom rollers, and he is getting a price for me for those.

Some may ask why repair instead of replace. Simple. This dozer fits our equipment car, and can be put almost anywhere along the railroad. Plus replacing it with something similar would be expensive. Money better spent on other projects or equipment.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »
I would say something about a "chain letter," but that would start a chain of posts about bad puns.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 09:40:02 AM »
Some may ask why repair instead of replace. Simple. This dozer fits our equipment car, and can be put almost anywhere along the railroad. Plus replacing it with something similar would be expensive. Money better spent on other projects or equipment.

Also, while the machinery we own and maintain is not "period appropriate" to 1894-1933, there is a certain charm to seeing older construction equipment toiling away at a museum.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 10:41:13 AM »
It is antique, built in 1966, give or take a few years... And the smaller size does not dwarf our railroad equipment.
Mike

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
Not to get too far off-topic, but our wheel loader is a real gem too. Once customers experienced the agility of an articulated loader in the 1960's, the rigid-frame concept was not long for this world.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »
That one we believe is a 1968. It received a lot of attention over about a year ago, getting finished up over the winter with new brakes and a few other parts to keep it going.
Mike

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 09:30:13 PM »
Back in 2015 (bottom of page 1 & top of page 2) Brendan said . . .

what year was the Case built?

:)
Graham

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 08:05:46 AM »
That is what we were told, but the serial number has since revealed it is older. And looking it up again just now, it is actually a 1965.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:11:07 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2023, 05:23:09 PM »
How about a few pictures to move Casey along.. Today, 4/1/23, after finally getting to the point that I could, we intalled a chain on the dozer. The chain was almost on when my shadow Cody showed up, and he helped me get it together. And since he was there and likes to stay busy, we put some pads on..

Success!!

Here I had Cody going back over the bolts making sure they were tight.

Fired up Casey long enough to run the track completely around and put the pads we just installed on the bottom. Some pads need some welding before they go on, and have been set aside as we find them.

Mike

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2023, 12:44:01 PM »
You've got quite a helper there, Mike.

Jeff
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »
He is a pusher. Likes to stay busy. Which for most of the time is fine with me.
Mike

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2023, 08:10:59 AM »
Mike,

What was the process you used to link the chain together?

Jeff
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2023, 08:49:56 AM »
Pulled them together with a ratchet binder, then drove the pin in with a sledge. They make presses to push the pin in, but the sledge did the trick, once we braced the chain off of the dozer.
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2023, 12:03:23 PM »
Rachet and maul/sledge - field expedient way of repairing tracks whether a Dozer, Tank, or APC.
Moxie Bootlegger

Jay Davis

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2023, 06:02:13 PM »
The Case 450 dozer sounds like a solid choice for your project. Its ability to fit on a flat car is a huge plus for transporting it along the main line. Smaller dozers strike a nice balance - they're powerful enough for serious grading but not too bulky, making them easier to handle.

I had a similar experience when I was on the lookout for a dozer. I stumbled upon a 2017 John Deere 450K. It was in top-notch condition and the price tag was under $55k, which honestly blew my mind. At first, I was pretty skeptical. I mean, it seemed almost too good to be true. But after digging a little deeper, it turned out to be a fantastic deal.

If you ever need to look for more equipment, I've had some good experiences with https://www.boomandbucket.com/equipment/bulldozers. I've picked up a few things from there over the years, and they've all been reliable and in great working condition.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 04:28:50 PM by Jay Davis »