Author Topic: Ever wonder why we clean our crossings in winter?  (Read 2040 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ever wonder why we clean our crossings in winter?
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Ever wonder why we clean our crossings in winter? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
Looky here. Lots of good snow plowing video to look through but these two pics caught my eye.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=236214&cdate=20070102&cimg=24

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=236214&cdate=20070102&cimg=24

Ira Schreiber replied:
Several people I know were at that scene and I saw videos and pix just a few days later.
Back in the 1970's, when I was short line railroading on the Great Plains Railway, we had a train powered by a UP GP-9 # 205.
The last thing the roadmaster told me was to dig out all crossings before crossing.
My crew and I did just that until we came to a crude farmers crossing. No road traffic had disturbed the snow so I said forget it and we proceeded through slowly.
Crrrrrunck as the front truck lifted and derailed.
I sheepishly called the roadmaster who promptly told me "you put if off, you put it on". Severals hours later it finally clunked back on the rail. I made sure every crossing, no matter where, was dug out. for the rest of the trip.

pockets replied:
Mike,
Back in the early 70's, I was a volunteer on the Michigan Northern. We managed to parallel park an RS-3 on a city street, in Cadillac. We hit an iced up grade crossing and the nose went West. Sheered truck locks, ripped traction motor leads and all. Ninety degrees to the track.

Greg B.

Joe Fox replied:
That sounds like fun Greg. If you guys haven't looked through all of the videos or photos yet, be sure to because they are neat to watch.

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum