Author Topic: Shingle Mill - Official Work Thread  (Read 104064 times)

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Shingle Mill Work Day
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
What a great day!  After more than a decade of working to get that mill donated to the museum it is so gratifying and exciting to see the photos of the machinery safe at the mill's new home!  I can't say enough thank yous to the crews who spent so many days in the dust, mouse droppings, and mummified cats and possums to make this happen.  Moving the machinery went smoother than I imagined and Mike and I were able to have most pieces ready to move before the trailer arrived.  The engine moved far easier than either of us thought it would.  I took a lot of photos with my old film camera (in black and white) so I have to wait to get them developed before we can see them so I am hoping those who had their cell phones can post more pictures of the move here on the forum.

Now that the machinery is at Sheepscot I'll write up a history of the mill for the newsletter.  The Temm family had an interesting mill and agricultural enterprise and we have artifacts from both aspects of the their business.  We should be able to create a great "living exhibit" of a typical early 20th century Maine  rural enterprise.

I think it will require one more trip to the mill to pick up the few items that are left, odds and ends mostly, including a Portland Stove Company cookstove and a player piano!

Many, many thanks to all who have supported this project so far.  Now on to phase 2!

Dana

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Yes Dana. That was a great pursuit by you to keep tabs of the mill for so long. This thing is in such great shape, I am hoping for some rainy Saturdays to get a chance to work on it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:59:15 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »
What a great find and rescue. Kudos to ALL who helped in the project.

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
What year is the red seal engine?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:07:11 PM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:54 AM »
Is the plan to create a combination sawmill / shingle mill somewhere on the railroad as an "industrial" customer?  It would really be a nice additional attraction as well as expand the historic base of the museum.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
John,

Plans are for two separate buildings. Since the shingle mill is in such great condition, I would assume that one built first so we can have an up and running display when we want it, and maybe make some shingles for a project.

Kevin,

I am not sure any of us have taken the time to look it up yet. I'm guessing in the 60's
Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
IMHO, the flat head Red Seal puts it pre WW2 and the late 1950's. By the 1960's almost everyone had gone to OHV engines.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:04:00 PM by Ira Schreiber »

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
I am planning to come to Sheepscot 7/11 - 12 and I may be firing at least one day but I also want to work on the mill machinery.  I am also going to contact David F. to see if I can get him to let me into the other building so I can bring all of that oil with me and I will also bring the big saw blade.

I have also been sketching some ideas for the new mill building.  I'm not sure we need to exactly replicate the existing mill building because that was an existing building that was moved across the road after the first Temm Mill burned in 1938.  It wasn't built for the mill.  By the way, the Temm's first shingle mill (the one that burned) was purchased from my great-great grandfather sometime after 1909.  I'm trying to pin down the date but no luck so far.  When Ralph Temm told me that during one of our visits I knew it was fate that I would somehow save his mill.

Dana

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
Hi Dana,

If there's room in your truck, we need a roll of tar paper to cover the sides of the section house.  I think there were some rolls in that other building. 

Thanks, see you on the 11th.

Stewart

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
Dana, I kind of liked the set up of that building. Reason being, the step up area would make a great viewing area while the machinery is running. Hoping to catch up with you on the 11th.
Mike

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
Just after reading about this latest successful project I saw that Mike had already mentioned what I was thinking - providing a safe viewing area for visitors.
And thanks to Dana for sharing another historic family connection!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »
Took today off from the museum and went to an historic Mill site close to me. I had never been before. It is an old water powered mill (currently operated by the belt drive of a John Deere tractor) that also made barrels. The barrel making equipment was very interesting. The highlight was the shingle mill. Identical to ours, and the edger was also the same. Here is a video of it in operation.
https://youtu.be/e6tENbJFbpQ
Mike

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
That's funny,
You and I are living parallel lives Mike. Annie and I travelled down to New York to see my folks. We visited Hanford Mills in East Meredith, NY. They have a great mill setup with a grist mill, woodworking shop, sawmill, shingle mill, and other machinery all belt driven from a 1926 Fitz overshot waterwheel, a steam engine, and a tub wheel water turbine. Their shingle mill is newer than ours as it has a cast iron frame and a few other differences. It's an amazing place. I'll post some photos here soon.

Someone mentioned to me that it would be good to get in touch with SPOOM- the Society for the preservation of Old Mills. www.spoom.org
Steve
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:12:11 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
Dana, I'm a bit curious as to what type of Continental that the stationary engine is... I only ask because we found a similar motor (unused, got to love that military surplus!) at my late Grandfather's house.