Author Topic: May 2015 Work Planning  (Read 30849 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
May 2015 Work Planning
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:14:17 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday, May 2:

* Annual Meeting - at the Alna Meetinghouse from 1 until we're done.  Usually doesn't last more than an hour.
* Loco 9
* Recovery from work weekend.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: May 2015 Work Planning
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to come to Sheepscot on May 16 (May 9 I will be working at the shingle mill, see Work and Events) and on the 16th I plan to work on the tail track on the spur at TOM getting it in service.  If the two stub switches are ready I want to tamp them and get them in service, too,  and then I want to use whatever stone there is left to dress the ballast on the mainline, at least and on the siding if there is enough.  All of this is with the goal of having the TOM track in service for the start of the regular operating season.

Dana

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 2.

* Car barn: Zack wanted to straighten the vertical beams, so using the John Deere as an anchor we winched each portion of the wall over, then making sure the stakes in the ground were solid (most weren't) and re-attached the inner supports and put in outer supports.  Worked on the east wall first, then the west.
* Annual Meeting: I got my hour wrong, it was 2 PM not 1.  All directors up for election got elected.  No drama.
* #9: Marcel was working on the cab roof.
* Mike: Mike was working on a project.
* Top of Mountain: After the annual meeting we took the passenger train up and surveyed the work.  With Mike's help I found the SE corner post of our property line on Clark. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Kubota work. Trying to get the sickle plumbed in.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:00:35 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday May 9:

* Shingle Mill site: This Saturday is a big push to get the building cleaned out so that we can remove the shingle mill components later.  There will be a dumpster on site to assist with that.  We should be unearthing more treasures to bring back with us
* Maine Rail Group annual meeting: MRG Inc is using us for their annual meeting.  While they are meeting at the Alna Fire Department building, we'll be running steam for them, Linda's catering the meal and Steve Z will be speaking.  We expect the largest group of people for the 2:30 trip. 

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:32:48 AM »
James;
Don't forget the Board meeting at 4:30 PM on Friday, May 8. All are invited.
KD

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »
For those of us not so familiar, can you tell us more about the MRG?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:02:52 AM »
Here's a link to their website: http://mainerailgroup.org/.  The tagline in their About page is "A non-profit group working to enhance rail service in Maine and New England".

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »
Here's a link to their website: http://mainerailgroup.org/.  The tagline in their About page is "A non-profit group working to enhance rail service in Maine and New England".
Does anyone have any ideas about how many MRG folks have signed up?
-John

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:45:13 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 9:

* Shingle Mill: A half dozen left Sheepscot around 7:30 with multiple trucks and didn't return until early afternoon with loaded trucks.  Lots of goodies.  The building is now cleaned out ready for us to take the big stuff.
* Kubota: Mike started tinkering early and got the hydraulics piped for the mounted weed cutter.  He made the first operational run with it.
* Maine Rail Group: Many from MRG showed up for the 11 train.  They ate at the fire house (catered by Linda), had a business meeting, and then Steve Z gave them a talk about the Museum.  More members showed up for the 2:30 train.
* Coupler repair: Joe F worked to repair the knuckle on one of the cars. 
* Switch work: Joe and Rich worked on parts for one of the switches at Top of the Mountain.
* #9: Marcel was working on the cab.  Jason was working elsewhere.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 11:46:48 PM »
Youz guys continue to max the Outstanding Meter!

Sounds like TOM is almost ready for regular trips.
Is the car shelter area dry enough for work?
Paul Uhland

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Some pictures inside the shingle mill. I took a lot of pictures and hopefully I will get the pictures posted in the shingle mill thread tonight sometime.

New sickle bar mower mounted on the Kubota for testing. Some of the hydraulic plumbing is temporary for testing purposes.

Number 10 got a new cyclone spark arrestor. The cyclone arrestor has an added benefit of increasing draft on windy days.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 06:15:25 PM »
Great pics, Brendan! Thanks.
I've been trying to picture things in my head from Dana's reports. The pics really help. :)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »
Well for those unfamiliar with shingle mills, I will try and explain the workings of it.

In Brendans top picture, you can see the carriage. This is the thing with the teeth top and bottom. You stick the "bolt" of wood between the teeth, by stepping on a board on the floor that opens the jaws. The carriage moves behind the sawblade and back. Each time it does this, the bolt is adjusted outward automatically. One time it is just the top. Next time it is the top and bottom. This keeps the shingles cut at a taper. Thicker on bottom. Then the shingles get grabbed out of the catch box below the saw, and turning to the right get edged on the edger.

This is a very interesting mill, and will be great to have in operation.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...