Author Topic: More on the topic of a rail camp  (Read 2194 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
More on the topic of a rail camp
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
More on the topic of a rail camp has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Brian Murphy wrote:
Hey guys i finally set up an account. But i was thinking, if we were to do this "railcamp" thing, you could make camping (in tents) in alna center field an option. it would add a sense of authenticity to the entire expeirence. Also, if Joe and I were to attend this "railcamp", would we become a type of master teacher's assitants or would we be just faces in the crowd? I think it is a great idea in my opinion. i attended a program the past two summers called P.C.C at the Bridgewater State College in Bridgewater, MA. you live at the dorms and it was a total of 6 weeks, you arrived monday mornings and went home friday afternoons. If we used a similar type of setup this could be a great way to make a lot of money to put to use for much need things. The total cost of the program was $1600. but it was well worth it. i made so many friends, this really helped me because i had a falling out with most of my friends in my town after i started to attend catholic school. just a thought.

Brian

Joe Fox replied:
Hey Brian,

I attended the railcamp in Scranton, and that is where I came up with the idea of getting some of my Railcamp buddies together for a railcamp event type deal, where we would cover things such as track work, brakemen, etc. The track work would be a hands on experience for them, hopefully under the suppervision of Dana, then they would learn the job of the brakemen, and I was thinking about possible cab rides in the engine 1 or 2 at a time so that they could see what it was like to ride in the cab of an engine. However, as of right now, none of them can make it. If and when the event should be held, I would greatly appreciate your help. If you attend railcamp this year, I would recomend going to Ely Nevada, since many things went wrong at the one in Scranton. For example, we were supposed to be able to operate their one and only deisel, however, we couldn't since it was not operational.

Talk to you later.

Joe

Brian Murphy replied:
hey Joe,

How can i find out about the Railcamp. and how long (week wise) is it. I would love to help you out when it comes to our own "RailCamp", if it rver happens, it would truly be an honor working with you, seeing someday it will be me and you running the W.W & F.Ry, we are the future of the muesum.

Talk to ya soon,
Brian

Mike Fox replied:
Brian,
Click on this link. If you are of age, now is the time to sign up. Before it fills up. Joe went to Steamtown. They are more class orientated. But it is also hands on. But still something you would get something out of. Check out the website and go from there.
http://www.railcamp.com/basic_railcamp_agenda.htm
Mike

Glenn Christensen replied:
Hi Guys,

How's this?  Fit a boxcar out for camping.  Have a steam train drop it off on a siding for some period of time and have activities each day.

Of course, what works about 25-30 miles up Animas Canyon might not work as well on a 2-mile (and growing) line in Maine.  But then again, I'm not so sure it wouldn't either.

Just food for thought.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Joe Fox replied:
Hi guys,

The camp is a week, however, I think that it would only be a day at the museum if I could get some of them interested in coming. The link that my dad has provided is about the best source to find out more about it. If I keep talking to them as often as I do, I might be able to get an apprentice firemen from the New Hope & Ivy Land to show up. He was going to come for our fall track laying weekend, however, he said he was to busy with college and stuff. Talk to you guys later.

Joe

James Patten replied:
Perhaps for a Maine Railcamp it should be divided among MNGRR, SR&RL, WW&F, Boothbay Railway Village, and B&ML in Unity.  Since there's not a lot to do at any one place (maybe B&ML is the exception).

Bill Sample replied:
When Sue and I were up last fall, someone at the B&ML mentioned plans for hosting some sort of rail camp at Unity.  Someone with connections there might want to check this out.  Maybe some sort of joint venture could be worked out.  I like the idea of a "travelling" rail camp that James mentioned.  Wish that sort of thing was around when I was a kid, but back then I don't think the Boothbay operation had begun yet!  Seashore would have been about it in Maine, the next closest would have been The Cog and Edaville, the beginnings of Steamtown, and the two Connecticut trolley museums.
Joe, Brian and company - see how far we've come in recent years?

Mike Fox replied:
Lucky aren't they Bill. I'm just glad that the preservation has caught on and things are being preserved that can be. And history is being made by us.
Mike

Josh Botting replied:
Are we sure that we want accept the liability for a rail camp?

Brian Murphy replied:
hey guys, nice to hear all of your feedback on this. the idea of a multi railraod "railcamp" would be great. i think if we actually can contact the other railways and can put the word out about it i bet it could be done. i think that even if it was for a week in early july or late august it would be great. the only setback is to find staffing for it. seeing that it would be during the week. and suggestions on this?

Brian.

Brian Murphy replied:
hmm. would the insurance that the museum has cover this liabilaty problem? that could be a set back. and the other railroads would have to meet the same standards too, right? any body know about this?

Brian

James Patten replied:
If we decide we are serious about pursuing this, I can bring it up at our first ever meeting between all the narrow guage museums in March at see how it floats.

Joe Fox replied:
That's the only problem about the event, is the insurance.  If we could get some way to have an event like this, I think that some of the things could be covered right at our museum. Yes it would be great to have a multi railroad thing, however, why not include those other places as places to visit during the week. Like when I was in Railcamp, they took us on a bus to Binghampton New York to the rail yard. That was cool. Most of the things that Railcamp in Scranton does, we can cover at our museum.  We can give the campers a hands on experience of track work, cab rides, learn how to machine parts for the engines. However, this would, or should not be a hands on thing. They could aslo learn about the job of the brakemen, and other things like that, but not be a hands on type of thing, they would just watch the brakemen, conductor, etc. Again, this is all if and when we have something like this at our museum.

I don't think that it could be called a railcamp, other wise railcamp might have us pay them or some thing like that, and that wouldn't be very good.

If we held an event like this, what do you think would seem like a reasonable price, and how many people could show up?

THESE ARE ALL & ONLY IDEAS!

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum