Author Topic: Car 103  (Read 1978 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Car 103
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Car 103 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

MikeW wrote:
This may come under the heading, "Dumb Questions":  Why did the open air excursion car retain its Edaville number (103) and not receive the next WW&F passenger car number, which would have been 9?

BM1455 replied:
Car #103 is only leased from MNG.

James Patten replied:
I think 103 should either have been given a WW&F coach number, or given a completely different number in another number series (such as the 900 series) which we could use for leased cars not original to the railroad.  My main objection to use of 103 was the fact that there was a 103 on the original railroad, namely a flatcar.

Actually since 103 arrived before coach 8, 103 should have been the 8 number and coach 8 should have been coach 9.

MikeW replied:
Giving it number 9 would make sense too since it is lettered "WW&F".  So this poses a question.  Should we finish it as #9?  It will be about the same amount of work (paint '9' twice versus 3 numbers (103).  I leave it to you regulars to decide.  I'll be happy to paint it either way.

Stewart Rhine replied:
As I said in the other post,  I was told to use the cars original number, 103 when I painted the car.  The reason is that the car is leased from MNG.  James, I see your point about the number 103 conflicting with an original WW&F flat car but I don't think anyone will think the 103 is an original WW&F car.

Coach 8 was numbered the next in the sequence since we own it.  I think we should avoid having a coach and locomotive both numbered 9.

Joe Fox replied:
Could it be numbered 127? B&H used to have some open air cars that had roofs on them, and I believe they could also be used as flat cars.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
I like the number 103. When you say that number to someone, they know exactly what car you are talking about. If you change the number to 9, like James said, someone won't know which 9 you are talking about. The same as if you were to put any other number on it. So lets leave it for now
Mike

MikeW replied:
As far as precedents go, WW&F had engines and cars with same numbers.  But since the car already has 103 on one side, I will finish it off with 103.  I had a thought: maybe keeping it 103 was a condition of the lease to keep it clear that it is a MNGRR car.

Stewart Rhine replied:
Here's a little more on why I said that we may not want to duplicate numbers on engines and rolling stock.  True, the original WW&F had shared numbers but they also had a full time paid clerk, gen'l mgr, station agents and train crews to keep things straight.  I have been in a number of all volunteer railroad groups and have found it better to keep things easy for the people making conductors reports, etc.  Duplicated numbers can cause confusion.

Car 103's number has been noted on the train reports for two months so I think it's too late to change it.  I don't think it's all that bad for the car to carry it's original Edaville number.  We are the WW&F but have connections to the "old" Edaville through our members and equipment.

MikeW replied:
I'll be heading down there after breakfast to look over 103 and 320, locate materials etc.  I've been watching the weather reports in case we might have another one of these unusually warm days today, but right now I'm guessing it won't be warm enough to paint the numbers....

MikeW replied:
Stewart -

I cut a new stencil for #103.  As soon as the weather warms up I will try to get down there and paint 'er up.

- Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Sounds good Mike.   Here's what I did on the east side of the car.  I measured in from the corners and down from the sill for placement.  I used the stencil to etch the outlines and hand brushed the numbers.  The gold drys fast if you letter it in the sun.  The paint settles quick and must be stirred often.

MikeW replied:
The weather looks good for painting tomorrow so I'll be down in the morning with the new stencil etc.

Allan Fisher replied:
For those of you who don't know, Erv Bickford, President of MNG, bought the car from Edaville and gave it to MNG. He has a special attachment to it, and so I have always believed we should leave the number alone. We do not have a formal lease from MNG as of this date.

MikeW replied:
Progress Report: I finished off the numbering on 103.  Since I had the gold paint out, I went over the numbers on the east side, and then both sides of coach 8 to boot.  I also repainted the floor of 103.  OK, now I'm tired.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum