Author Topic: Prints & Erecting Cards (drawings)  (Read 12031 times)

Linc Reed-Nickerson

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Prints & Erecting Cards (drawings)
« on: April 02, 2015, 03:06:08 AM »
I've been involved in a project to scan all of the Workshop Drawings at Puffing Billy.  No small undertaking, they will be stored in several locations to assure they will be available, and safe in case of disaster.

That has me wondering, how many WW&F locomotive drawings still exist?

Linc

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Prints & Erecting Cards (drawings)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »
A great deal of Portland Company drawings (for all of the Two Footers) exist at the Maine Historical Society's archives in Portland, Maine.  The Two Footer drawings were all organized a number of years ago, and have been cataloged.  Portland Company built all the freight equipment for the WW&F, and many of the locomotives.

Baldwin drawings still exist (I don't know about for our locomotives), and I think live at RR Museum of Pennsylvania, or maybe the DeGolyer Collection at Southern something University in Texas (Southern Baptist or Methodist?).

Jackson & Sharp drawings exist, I believe they are in a museum collection in Wilmington, Delaware.  I forget the name of the place.

Vulcan drawings for #10 exist, I don't know where they came from.  We have those.

That leaves Porter, and I don't know about them.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
The Jackson & Sharp drawings are at the Hagley Museum in Wilmington, DE.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:41:32 PM »
The DeGolyer Collection is at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
Paul Uhland

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
According to Wikipedia, "The largest collection of Porter photographs and information is currently housed in the Kentlein Porter Collection at the A. C. Kalmbach Memorial Library (a service of the National Model Railroad Association) in Chattanooga, TN. Many of the 780 builder's photos, blueprints and other locomotive data were republished in Porter Steam Locomotives, published by the library."

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
A large quantity of Porter records (including drawings) are supposed to be held at Canada's National Museum of Science & Technology in Ottawa. The explanation for this surprising location is that when Porter decided to get out of the locomotive business in the 1950s it sold out to Davenport, and then Davenport was in turn purchased by the Canadian Locomotive Company. Not having consulted either institution I don't know how the holdings in Ottawa compare to what's in Chattanooga, or how much duplication there may be between the two collections, but anyone embarking on a Porter restoration project should probably get in touch with both places.

-Philip Marshall

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Youngstown Steel Heritage Website
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
There is indeed a large set of drawings at the museum in Ottawa.  We were able to obtain erection, boiler, frame, cab, sander and cylinder cock rigging drawings from them for Jones & Laughlin 58.  they are all scanned and available as PDFs.  I have the listing of drawings that they hold, so if you have a Porter construction number, I can look through the list and let you know what they have, if anything. 

Rivers of Steel Heritage Corp. in Homestead, PA has a collection of a few hundred Porter builders photos.  I should take the time one day to catalog that collection so we know exactly what they have available.
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad
Youngstown, OH

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, Rick!

Maybe after No. 11 is finished we should consider building a replica of W&Q No. 1 (Porter C/N 565) or WW&F No. 4 (Porter C/N 2497) :)

-Philip Marshall

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
W&Q #1 was probably the size of our #10, or maybe even smaller.  Not an ideal candidate for reconstruction.  WW&F #4 was considered an excellent snow fighter by WW&F engineers, so perhaps we should consider that.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Hi James,

I know you were just "blue-skying" about replicating #4, but I must admit that I always thought it was a "pretty spiffy" looking loco in her original
configuration and livery.  The operational practicality of the "all weather" cab is a separate issue, but you guys are pretty clever.  Who knows?

Best Regards,
Glenn

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
All that I can find is an elevation drawing and a cab drawing for C/N 2497, but at least it is a start.
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
W&Q #1 was probably the size of our #10, or maybe even smaller...

I've often wondered how #10 compares with W&Q #1.
What–me worry?

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
All that I can find is an elevation drawing and a cab drawing for C/N 2497, but at least it is a start.

Thanks, Rick! What about C/N 2360? That would be B&SR No. 4, which was a very similar design apart from the cab.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:13:54 PM by Philip Marshall »

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
W&Q #1 was probably the size of our #10, or maybe even smaller...

I've often wondered how #10 compares with W&Q #1.

I haven't been able to find the weight of W&Q No. 1, but with 9 x 14 inch cylinders and 33 inch drivers she may actually have been a bit larger than No. 10, which I think has just 7 x 12 inch cylinders and 28 inch drivers. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

As Sandy River No. 3 she is supposed to have been well regarded as a snowfighter, at least in comparison to the ex-B&B Hinkleys, though otherwise disliked by crews.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:12:40 PM by Philip Marshall »

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
Only an elevation drawing for C/N 2360.   It seems that the newer the locomotive, the more drawings that are available. 
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH