Author Topic: Relocating update to Gray?  (Read 35586 times)

Andre Anderson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
Re: Relocating update to Gray?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:33 PM »
And from what I've heard, track layers will be hired. But I'm sure me or Bill would let you know when they're ready!
We'll be happy to quote them a fair price. ;)
-John

I think that would be a win win situation, the WW&F makes a little money and they get track.

Andre

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »
My remark was meant in jest. I think that we should train a few of their guys (Hans Brandes, Hansel Fardon, etc.) at one of our track laying sessions and then dispatch a team of our guys to help them get started at their site. Many of us at each railroad are members at, and donors to, both railroads. The success of both railroads brings more national and international visitors to both railroads.

-John

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
Understandable Hansel, but in my honest opinion here, Maine Narrow Gauges future relies on volunteers doing manual labor to the track, especially since that is what the train runs on. I can remember the times I showed up to do track work, and every one looking at me like I was crazy, and had just said a nasty word. Is track work fun, no. But hiring a track crew every time work needs to be done will be to costly. A few years ago it was like pulling teeth to get 6 guys to come out and work with the contractors.

Just my two cents worth, but I think its time that  MNG starts making it a policy that those who are under the age of 50 should help do something else besides train crew. This is my biggest  reason on why I don't have an interest in going there. Because all any one wants to do is play trains and not work. The only actual workers there are the steam team and a few wood workers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:28:18 PM by Joe Fox »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
MNG is going to get a big surprise when they start looking for railroad contractors to build track for them. If they can get anyone to bid, I'm betting the cost will run over $100 per track-foot. The labor cost is going to be out of this world, as most track contractors are mechanized to a great extent, and there is very little two-foot gauge track machinery on this side of the Atlantic. Therefore, they will have to depend on manual labor to get the job done. Instead of half a dozen men to operate track machines, they will need twice as many men to manhandle ties and rail, not to mention surfacing the track. This is gonna be interesting......

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
I think $100/lf is being very conservative
Moxie Bootlegger

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
I think that is fairly realistic up here. A surfacing crew with tamper and regulator charge $1.50 per foot. To actually lay the track almost all by hand I would estimate to be around $300,000 for the labor, and tools such as air compressor, hydro pump, etc to build 2 miles of track.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
That's about $28/ft.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »
How soon must MNG vacate Portland?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
Thirty years ago, I had a track contractor doing repairs to track already in place, and the cost in 1984 was around $35 a foot. That's about $80 today, based on inflation. Like I said, for new track construction, it will be at least $100 a track foot.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
Unfortunately, due to their volunteer base they have, this is what they must do. I can understand the reasoning.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
Having done track repair contracts myself, Wayne's numbers are quite realistic; probably tie replacement, ballast, line / level / tamp, bolts and tightening, and brooming/dressing.  All I can assume is that they are getting free rail, ties, jewelry, and associated shipping costs.
Moxie Bootlegger

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »
Could not MNG lift track panels from Portland and drop them in Grays?
Or is everything going to be operational before the move? Or a combination thereof.

Carl

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:59:24 PM by Carl Soderstrom »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
A lot of MNG track is re-purposed standard gauge track with one rail moved in. At least in the early days, the city had a desire that the track be convertible back to standard gauge. With standard length ties and 85 lb/yd rail, picking it up would be a challenge. I don't remember if the joints are staggered, but if they are, that would make it even more fun.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
At one point word was that MNG still wants a presence in Portland to run a train back and forth.  Whether this is still in the cards or not I don't know.

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
MNGs current rail was pulled up from yard trackage and re-laid in it's current position.  The contract stated that we use standard gauge ties with one rail spiked in the running position for std. gauge track. (this directly led to the surfacing issues that MNG is dealing with now) The rail was worn when MNG acquired it and is even more so now.  To re-lay the 85 lb would be foolish, as it only has a few years of usable life left in it.
A spike saved is a spike earned.