Author Topic: 2014 Victorian Christmas  (Read 36774 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Victorian Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »
Stewart,
You forgot the train crew that brought everyone to Santa safely!  Those five car trains didn't run themselves (or by elves).
Dave

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »
  Thanks again, to all the local volunteers who work so hard to put on the Victorian Christmas event. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.     Fred L. Kuhns

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Hi Dave,  

The recap was mostly highlighting things that were done in the week(s) prior to the event.  Of course much work was done on Saturday by everyone, from food service to parking attendants to the gift shop to the train crew and AC crew.  Yes, the train crew had a looooonng day and so did Santa, picking up kids all day.  Everyone who worked at AC was some spent after working outside for 8 hours.   What made it all enjoyable were the hundreds of happy visitors we met.  For me it was good conversations with folks who gathered around the bonfire, many first time visitors. I've never heard so many "thank yous".  Many were surprised to hear that we are all volunteers.  Everyone I spoke to said how wonderful Victorian Christmas is and it's great that we to hold such an event each year.  Yes, I was pretty tired by 4:30 but I would do it again in a second!

Start  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:34:09 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
AMEN to all of this. When our party arrived from Massachusetts at about 11:30 and turned into Cross Road, we could not believe the number of cars lining the street. All the way down the hill and up the next, and out of sight.  We were lucky and got waved into a space in the parking lot which just had been vacated.  Upon getting out of the car, we saw the line of waiting passengers stretching the entire length of the station platform, down the ramp, and along the roadside almost to the Percival house. Never before have we seen that many people at any of the past events! We had to wait for 3 or 4 trains to come and go before seriously considering getting in the line.  Despite the size of the crowd, everyone was patient and there was no shoving or cutting in as the train arrived for the next run.  The platform is pretty narrow, and people were trying to enter the gift shop as well as wait for the train, so it made for some crowding at arrival and departure time. Refreshments were waiting inside, so the interior was usually packed with people, elbow to elbow.  I think it probably was at peak capacity. Many volunteers behind the counter kept track of sales, refilled snack trays, etc.  It was "organized bedlam", but again, there were no incidents or lost tempers from what we could see. Everyone was in a holiday spirit. A few drinks were spilled by kids getting bumped trying to negoitate the tight space, but no other problems. At Alna Center, the same spirit of Christmas prevailed. Kids could make clothespin ornaments in the station, see Santa, or ride the "wagon" sleigh ride.  The weather was perfect.  All in all: A+.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
The first 5 car train was handled by the 52, and had 197 patrons on board, the train crew, and myself as engineer. That was the heaviest train for the day, with the next count being around 185. I had my doubts, as we were navigating cockeyed curve, #10 would have handled the train. It was heavy, with coach 3 showing a noticeable sag, as it always does when loaded. So, 52 followed 2 or 3 of the steam runs, at restricted speed as "stall protection". Stopping south of the south whistle post at Trask, I could watch the train make it to Alna Center, then 52 would hi-ball it back to Sheepscot to clear the line for the train to return. Not once did the #10 need assistance.

The operating plan worked very well, alternating locomotives between trips, giving the steam locomotive a chance to service the locomotive. The locomotive that took the train North would run around at Alna Center and bring the train back to Sheepscot, pulling all the way to the end of the platform. The next departing locomotive would then couple onto the North end of the train, and take the train to Alna Center, and repeating the process again.

The crew did an excellent job. Everyone was in place and did what was needed to have great day.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
It was great seeing old friends yesterday, as well as making new.
Thank you to every person involved in making Victorian Christmas 2014 a magical experience.
It just keeps gets bigger and better each year.
A Very Merry Christmas to everyone!
Matthew

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
Just think, next year #9 and #10 will be the motive power!
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Does anyone have the total passenger count for the event? It seems to me that someone mentioned 1297, but I've forgotten what the tally was for the regular trains (10:30 to 3:30) and what the tally was for the after-4 special. Thanks!

-John

Jonathan St.Mary

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
Regular runs 1297.  IIRC, 29 on the after dark special.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
Number10 coming into Sheepscot

Grampa elf bringing us north behind 52.

Santa

10 running around at Alna Center

Heading south with 5 cars.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
Re: 2014 Victorian Christmas (My Photo Album)
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »
Folks,

I had a grand time yesterday, running around trying to capture all of what was going on.   I suspect that between Stephen, Matthew, Hansel, Brendan and myself, we probably had pretty good coverage of all of the events.   Interestingly, some of the coolest images were captured as the sun was going down and the crew was getting ready for that last run to Alna Center.

I shot a lot of stuff, so rather than tie up a lot of forum space, let me direct to you to my Flickr Page, where you can browse and click on anything that might look interesting to you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112261457@N06/sets/72157649879285405/

Once again, the museum crew did an awesome job with this event.   This place is special.   Stuff happens here that happens nowhere else.   Thanks for everything you do for the preservation of this piece of our history, and also for everything you do for the community!

/Kevin

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
Great images and video work all around. Well done!

And a huge thanks and well done to the volunteers who made the entire Victorian Christmas event a resounding success.

Merry Christmas to all, and a better New Year ahead!

Cheers -- Wayne Laepple

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
Here is my video as seen from Sheepscot
http://youtu.be/lufbzAJavzw
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:40 AM »
I wanted to add my congratulations to everyone at the museum. The success of Saturday was absolutely wonderful for everyone. I know it's been mentioned many times but, from preparation to execution, coordinating that many people without incident is not at all easy.
Special to many of us was the performance of good ol' Number 10, thanks to upgrades from the steam crew. A clean fire and a talented crew were all she needed to get from Sheepscot to AC with 125# on the gauge, trip after trip.
Also, I'd like to add Liz Canella to the volunteer list. She pitched in all day in the kitchen to keep the crews fed and full.
Gawdon

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
The record number of people that was being bandied around on Saturday from 2012 was 1275.  However, the number I have recorded from that year's VC was 1168.  So we beat 2012 by 150 people, counting the twilight run.  Maybe "1275" was from when we did Halloween trains, but that would have been over 2 days.

Now if we can just even out the crowds over the day.  A plethora of people in the morning and a dearth in the mid afternoon.