Author Topic: Spring 2015 Work Weekend  (Read 33061 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2015 Work Weekend
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »
Work done Sunday, April 26th - day 3 of the Spring Work Weekend:

Over 50 people signed the book.  The weather was a mix of clouds and a little sun with a couple misty showers which didn't keep the volunteers from getting more work done.

* Track - We finished tamping the siding and cross over track.  We built 72' of new track at the end of the siding and put ballast on it.  The siding switch got more work and the crew dressed the siding stone after tamping.  One piece of original rail was put at the end of the siding.  The rail was found in the woods when we cleared TOM a few years ago.  A couple of original spikes that we found were used to secure the rail.  The trackage at TOM looks great and is about ready for service with only a bit more switch work needed.

* Engine 9 got more work on a number of parts.

* Shop building - The rest of the east side window sashes were cleaned and primed.

* Comm - John M. and his telephone helper Joseph traced the line at TOM to find a fault.

* Kitchen - The crew put on another great lunch which was much appreciated by the hungry crews.  New today was a menu board with some interesting displays.

There are many people who made the weekend a great success.  Much was accomplished thanks to a great bunch of dedicated folks. Extra thanks to Dean Copeland who brought his bobcat loader up from Mass, it was a big help loading stone at AC.  This work helped keep the track crew well supplied for 3 days.  Dana did his usual job of keeping everyone working on various parts as the track work progressed.  Sue spent many hours making sure that everything was set to feed a large number of people.  There were many smaller projects and jobs but whether you worked a couple of hours or 5 days (like Fred and Zack did) we appreciate your dedication to rebuilding Maine history.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:07:11 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Is there a plan in place for filling the huge wash out?

Of course there is Ira. Also a bunch of ideas, thoughts and conversations. One thing I have figured out, nothing is ever too big for us to get done. It will get done, no matter what it takes.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
Sunday pictures. I forgot my camera so these were all taken with my phone.

The last two are from Thursday.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:19:15 PM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
Great phone photos, Brendan. Thanks.

Mike,
Is there a firm plan yet for the wash out?
I know there have been many discussions and I have even been in on a few.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
Not that I am aware of. But there is a wash out and there is a slide. The washout will need a culvert, preferably 3' steel being so deep. Then about 12-16 flatcars of gravel to fill the hole. Any gravel not used there can go in where the next crosspipe will go in, about 350 feet north. Then we get to deal with the slide. That will take some doing, but I think we can even deal with that.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Just like the water dept. figuring Super Bowl viewers ...

The WW&F trash crew can gauge the Spring Work Weekend.  The last official part of the SWW was collecting trash today and the crew reported that 11 bags went to the dump.  The record was 14 bags from the WW last Fall so by t.b. standards, the SWW was a resounding success.  One request: water bottles and soda cans have a 5 cent redemption so please don't put them in the trash. 

We will continue some of the projects this Summer and plan for a great Fall Work Weekend in October. 

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
I'll second that this was a great Spring Work Weekend. The food was amazing (Thank you kitchen crew!), and the work was great. Good meeting so many new folks and seeing old friends again. Thanks everyone for making it a success!

Take care,
Steve Piwowarski