Author Topic: Monson 3 update  (Read 8027 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Monson 3 update
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
SR&RL has made an arrangement with our neighbor Brian to finish the re-assembly job of Monson 3.  Brian recently constructed a quonset hut with embedded track on his property (for another project), and today Monson 3 was sitting in the hut.  Late this afternoon Bill Berry from SR&RL showed up at the WW&F with a horse trailer full of locomotive parts, looking for Brian's place.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Monson 3 update
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »
Hey, that's great news! I'm glad to hear they've resumed work.

-Philip Marshall

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
Any chance that #3 will be "checked out" and tested on WW&F track?  Could a special event be created around it?  Just thinking out loud..........
Moxie Bootlegger

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
I gotta think that the ability to do just that was considered in making the arrangement. That, and having the WW&F/Boothbay expertise close at hand.
If you've paid attention to recent FB postings then you know #3 is not a complete stranger to the WW&F.
Perhaps a special event train in the works? Possibly an extra-fare photo op special?  ;)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
As I understand it, this is really a Boothbay/Brian thing, and there's no anticipated connection with the WW&F.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Many years back, the #3 visited the WW&F Museum a couple of times at least. I have lots of video of it running out to end of track and return. In those days, end of track was around the first bend north of Sheepscot.

Richard

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
Hi Richard,

Yes, Monson 3 visited for the Annual Picnics of 1998 and 1999. In '99 we had engines 3, 9 and 10 in the yard for photo ops.  The facebook post noted by Pete shows #3 running at Sheepscot in 1998.  As you noted, the track only went half way down Davis grade.  I have video of those trips as well.  I'm sure there are folks who would like to see some of that video.  If so we may put some of it on DVD for retail in the gift shop.  Anyone interested? 

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
If there IS interest, you may borrow and copy my videos. I believe I already have converted them from VHS to DVD as a precaution against deterioration of the tapes. Let me know.

Richard