Author Topic: 2 Ft Gauge Headlight & other Ebay items  (Read 3212 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
2 Ft Gauge Headlight & other Ebay items
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
2 Ft Gauge Headlight & other Ebay items has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
Found this on Ebay. Looks interesting. Anyone know which railroad could have used it? Here is a link as well as the picture. More pictures are on the auction site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOCOMOTIVE-LAMP-MAINE-RR-US-HEADLIGHT-CO-21-LANTERN_W0QQitemZ260060848562QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4128QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

Joe Fox replied:
The person selling that, needs to do more research, because there were more than just two, two foot gauge railroads. There was one out west, I believe that was the Cripple Creek and Victor, then you had the B&SR in Bridgton, the SR&RL out of Farmington, the W, &Q in Wiscasset, the Monson in Monson, and the Kennebec Central in Togus. I believe that makes 6, not 2. Somebody ought to let the seller know that.

Joe

James Patten replied:
Cripple Creek & Victor is a modern day two-footer, built in the 1970s, I think.  It's built on the roadbed of a former railroad, but I couldn't tell you which one (there were 3 in the area at one time).  I have a book about the Cripple Creek District, Joe, if you'd like to borrow it someday.

But Colorado did have the Gilpin Tram, which was 2 foot.  And it's likely there were many others throughout the US.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. I wasn't sure when exactly some of the railroads started, that's all.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
That's a headlight for traction engine (steam tractor).  That's why it has the brackets on the back and handle on top.  We have a similar one upstairs in the car shop that Allan got a few years ago.

Stephen Hussar replied:
Be funny if it turned out to be from one of the B & B engines, wouldn't it?

Mike Fox replied:
I knew Stewart would have an answer. The Lamp king.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Thanks Mike.  There's a couple of big steam shows in northern MD and southern PA each Fall and there alot of steam tractors in operation.  Some have boilers about the size of number 10's.  Many have the "U.S." brand headlight on top of the smoke box.  There is usually one or two headlights for sale at the parts tables.  I would buy one but they have a different burner than the larger railroad style oil light.

There was a guy at the Gaithersburg show who had a Dressel locomotive headlight just like the one the our number 7 came with.  It was in great shape but I didn't have an extra $2,500 for it.

Joe Fox replied:
Yes, Stewart is the guy you should ask for when it comes to laterns, and things like that.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
That one went for $563.89. Wonder if the person knows what they got?
Mike

sgprailfan replied:
Thats cool, who knows it could have been from #1. I found some thing else ww&f on Ebay]http://cgi.ebay.com/MAINE-NARROW-GAUGE-WISCASSET-TIMETABLE-ON2-HON30_W0QQitemZ220059510438QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4136QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220059510438[url]

Mike Fox replied:
Here is an old news letter from December 1994 for sale on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WISCASSET-WATERVILLE-FARMINGTON-ME-RAILWAY-MUSEUM-NEWS_W0QQitemZ290076512034QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1445QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

BM1455 replied:
Gotta love this one.  We give 'em out for free and then somebody takes it home and tries to sell it on Ebay.
I will be interested to see what it does. 

James Patten replied:
Well the ones from the early/mid 90s are pretty rare now.

But that one has my favorite headline: "Fund Drive a Success - Main Line Doubled".  I LOVE that headline.

Dopeysdeals must be pretty dopey to think anybody would buy it.  AND pay $3 for shipping!

Joe Fox replied:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could double our main line again? That would mean that the track laying crew would have to lay 2.2 miles of track this year in order to double the main line.

Joe

Joe

Bruce Wilson replied:

Dopeysdeals must be pretty dopey to think anybody would buy it.  AND pay $3 for shipping!

James, I'm guilty of dealing with "dopey"...

The Maine State Archives & Museum did a 20 page newsletter with an article on the five narrow gage railroads in Maine. I'd seen this, but never was able to get an orginal copy. "Dopey" listed one for sale on eBay, and I got it...

I'll make copies of this and eventually all of the other archival junk that I have. Maybe I could leave these somewhere at the museum for the newer guys who haven't seen these before?

Mike Fox replied:
How about a brass #9
http://cgi.ebay.com/On2-Custom-Brass-Forney-SR-RL-Kennebec-Central-WW-F_W0QQitemZ270084469346QQihZ017QQcategoryZ485QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Or #7
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-F-7-2-4-4-T-by-CAR-WORKS-On2-BRASS-FP_W0QQitemZ190075957998QQihZ009QQcategoryZ78179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum