Author Topic: #10s "new whistle"  (Read 10504 times)

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
#10s "new whistle"
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
I tested the three chime Crosby whistle on CNJ 113 today up to 180 lbs. steam pressure.  It was very tight with very little leakage.  If #10's crew is looking for quiet and non-ear piercing, I am afraid you are not going to get it.  Like all whistles, it is loud and makes the ears ring.  The three chimes are very harmonious.  It is possible on #10's small boiler the sound will be different.  When we are down in Schuylkill Haven tomorrow, I may put it on again and someone may record it and put it on Youtube.

Bernie

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: #10s "new whistle"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
I can't wait to hear it.
Thanks

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
I'm not looking for quiet, per-se, in a whistle (after all it is supposed to make noise!) but ear-piercing I can do without.  I can do without assisting the hearing loss - after all it runs in my family. 

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:04:08 AM »
Huh?  ;)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Some fairly recent observations of steam crews on three different standard gauge steam operations and one narrow gauge revealed that all the enginemen were using hearing protection of one sort or another. Might be something to think about.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
Agreed Wayne.

In my 8 or so years working on a railroad with diesel locomotives I always wore hearing protection in the form of ear plugs- like those that can be found in the machine shop. There are other types available and those types produce an even level of sound reduction across all frequency levels. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Steve

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
To be truly 1910-authentic, engine crews should not wear hearing protection and should go deaf, like my maternal grandfather, a life-long CPR engineer, did.

-John

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
I think they used to grow thicker earhair.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
There's only one spot in here where the whistle was recorded, but the whole thing's good for some general railfanning. There's a nice track speed shot of R&N 425 at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrjH16eRLI

Perhaps some of the volume could be mitigated with some sort of limiter (thinking like a washer, but obviously something more stable) around the stem or taking a slice out of the lower half of the handle like the B&M whistles have?

(From Hansel's photo's in an old topic in the MNG section of the forum)

That might at least take care of any "accidental" overblowing on the whistle, which could happen quite a lot if the whistle is really stiff I would think.

Agreed Wayne.

In my 8 or so years working on a railroad with diesel locomotives I always wore hearing protection in the form of ear plugs- like those that can be found in the machine shop. There are other types available and those types produce an even level of sound reduction across all frequency levels. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Steve

From working on 7470 I can attest that I've thought about wearing earplugs. There's a BIG CNR whistle right outside the fireman's window, and depending on the engineer, you're gonna hear it more than once or twice a trip. Would it hamper crew communication? I'm not so sure. If the engineer wants your attention, you'll know it, and it's not like we can't turn the radio in the cab up on the road, either. I've also worn earplugs running #4 in Portland depending on which whistle we have on there (that B&M 5 chime we had on for the farewell in March is LOUD, even WITH the recessed lever).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:05:48 PM by Bill Piche »
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
I'm glad that the videographer caught that little sequence of #10's whistle.  It gave a good idea of its tone.  With the rope connected like that, it was full on or nothing.  With the lever arrangement in #10's cab, there will be better control and it will be interesting to see how it can be modulated.  That is less than two weeks away.  I am looking forward to it.

Bernie

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »
I would hope the people working on museum equipment would use ear plugs. The banging together of two pieces of metal creates a high enough frequency noise to damage your ears. I work in a GE machine shop (until Jan. 23 when they shutter it and send many of the jobs to China) and have worn 33 dB ear plugs since day one and still have my hearing. Of course if you tell my wife that I can still hear I'll call you liars.
Incidentally, my plans are to move to Providence, RI to do non destructive testing (NDT).
Jock Ellis

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
Cool! Then we'll get to see more of you, and you us... right?

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
Jock, very sorry to hear of the GE shutdown. Heres wishing you a good move and good luck in Providence.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
Pic of new whistle:

If you remember the old Lionel tinplate whistle, it sounds pretty similar.

Gawdon

Jock Ellis

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
If GE had closed us before installing $70,000,000 in 5-axis milling centers from Starragheackert, Leichti and Okuma, what they would have had to sell may have been too old for the WW&F.
I hope to take the ultrasonic thickness testing and dry particle magnetic testing classes before I go up there.
Jock Ellis