Author Topic: Music Festival?  (Read 11395 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Music Festival?
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
I have been saying for a while now we should consider a weekend long music festival of some kind. Let's hope this event continues and someday grows to the point where we'll need to use Albee's Field to host it. ;)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Music Festival?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
That sounds like a great idea! Several years ago I helped to organize a few music festivals at my college. They were the day-long, multiple band variety. There are lots of logistics to consider, but the end result was always worthwhile.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Music Festival?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
I split this topic early in case it goes somewhere.

I happen to know one of the brothers who did the sound at the first real music festival... Woodstock. He is still in the pro audio business and does concert sound. I doubt he would do a festival for free, but he would probably give us a good price.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
This has been actively talked about at the railroad lately and, in fact, the bluegrass music component of Fall Festival was considered the groundwork for it.  We had talked about making it its own event but decided its be better to tack it to an existing event first.  Again, it's a matter of being close to and understanding our market and what we can get away with.

See ya
Jason

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
Just have Phish play... 60,000 fans over one weekend at Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine.
All kidding aside, I wish folks the best in developing this idea. 
I think it might be fun to have people post groups they like or would like to share on this page. I'll get us started with a great local (to Maine) group:
Velocipede (You have to love the name!)http://www.velocipedemusic.com/bio
Two other great groups, though not quite as local:
-Le Vent du Nord http://www.leventdunord.com/en
-David Wax Museum http://www.davidwaxmuseum.com/

I was just teaching my Arts Appreciation class about ancient music. The word "music" and "museum" share the same root word from Greek, "mousa", which as a verb means to muse or think. As a noun it refers to the 9 goddesses of the arts and sciences. The earliest Greek museums were considered temples to the these 9 muses, so there is good precedence for a music festivals at museums. Both museums and music are considered to ignite creativity and the spirit in each of us.   ;D

Steve

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
Speaking as a musician, a festival or regular jam session would seem to be a good idea.

But a venue of some sort will be necessary to make this a practical suggestion.  Instruments (and musicians for that matter) don't like rain or snow.

I don't know if using Harry's house would work.  It might, but if not, an open, barn type structure, with a generous roof overhang, a platform built off the ground, and some way to provide a little bit of heat or wind-proofing is called for.

Best Regards,
Glenn 

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
Once the car storage barn is done, and Loco 9 is done, we can empty out the original car shed and use that for concerts.  No wind, large open space.  Not much heat either...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
If the pictures are any guide, Woodstock had lots of mud. We can provide that in season. ;D

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
HA!  You're right about that John!  Booking Hendrix for a reprise will be tough though.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
Start small, expect it to take 5 years or so to gain credibility, before expanding very much. Expect to lose money for several years at the outset. Do it rain or shine. Rent a big tent and hold it in the field at Alna Center. Make sure there are enough Porta-johns and some food vendors. Advertise, advertise, advertise!

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:14:50 AM »
Sounds like a fun idea!  I actually work for a production service company and own a lot of sound gear myself.  I've got experience in the production end of things, not so much advertising or booking.  I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
One more thing -- start planning right now!

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
I think James had the right idea to start.  Use the shop building for the venue after the car shed (et als) are built.

At the same time, work with our existing musical contacts to begin a series of acoustic, "open mic"/jam sessions, on some regular schedule (say every third Saturday) depending on the feedback/suggestions of our musician friends. I would ask the musicians to run the event themselves and pay a stipend to the person who does the advertising, scheduling of acts, and planning or coordinating.  Usually participating musicians are not paid for events of this type unless a "name act" is invited and booked, say for a special event. The regular guys just bring their instruments and sit in and maybe get a free pass or something for their participation.

I wouldn't try hosting a large musical event until we've had a couple years of experience holding the jam sessions.  But I agree with Wayne that we should begin our discussions immediately if we want to start doing something next year.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Except the whole idea is to have people ride the train to get to the music. And the shop will be filled with the construction of coach No. 2, the turntable, etc.

Andre Anderson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
Greetings,

As a lurker in the weeds from the west coast, my suggestion for this kind of event, is look into buying a tent that can be set up. Kind of like the ones that you would see at an outdoor wedding. Have some one or a group of some ones build a temporary stage that can be set up or stored as needed, strike that idea, figure out where you can put a flat car and build a removable set of back and side walls with a canvas awning on top. This would do several things at once, give you a railroad theme, a wood floored stage, and wind protection for the musicians. The getting of a tent would still be a good idea as when you have a function it can be set up so the public has some place to get out of the rain and if the tent has sides the wind also.

Out here in the Great Pacific North Wet we have several small music events that are well attended and looked forward to each year, defiantly this is a good idea. May look into partnering up with a local town's chamber of commerce or similar organization to help spread out the work of organizing something like this, because if this takes off other local bossiness such as restaurants, bed and breakfast's and so on will benefit also from it.

I don't know what kind of road access there is up the line but trying to move a lot of people back and forth on the railroad might try or over whelm the capacity of the railroad and if that happens and people can not get to the event or more importantly home from the event they will not come back, so try to find a place where they can park close to the event. In fact now that I think about this parking might be the biggest problem. Is there a church close by that you can use their parking lot and then use school buses to move people to the event is one idea that might be worth looking into.

Alright that is my two cents worth well maybe three cents worth, you can now get out the forks and knives and dice me up for my crazy ideas!  ;D
Andre
Portland Oregon  ::)