Author Topic: Car Barn - Official Work Thread  (Read 160128 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Car Barn - Official Work Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »
I really wish I could have been there to help, but I'm kinda glad I wasn't.  I don't think I could have kept up..

My Lord, you guys are FIT!!!!!!

I'm breathing hard just looking at the photos!  I think I need a nap.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »
Teamwork was the key to the truss work.  Zack and Steve Z. planned everything ahead of time and things went well after the first two trusses went up.  Zack made a jig shoe that fit on the end of each truss so it was set in the correct place.  Zack and James worked the east side of the framing and Steve worked the west side.  The rest of us, Mike, Brendan and I worked the top and had to "catch" each truss as it was lowered down by the crane.  Once it was on the header beams Zack and Steve matched the layout then Zack said "OK" and they would start attaching the truss.  The top crew installed the spacers at the same time.  Mike had the fun job of climbing the ladder (set up on plywood) to install the top braces.  With each new truss we had to install more plywood to work from.  Fred and Bill R. kept us supplied with plywood that Fred had staged before hand.  He delivered it to the end of the building with the tractor and the pieces had to be dragged down through the attic which got long rather quickly.  Leon, Dave B. and Bill F. hooked the trusses on the crane and Dave rope-guided each truss to the correct angle for setting on the building's frame.

It was a looooonnng day but worth every minute.  It's a pleasure working with such a talented crew.  Our crane operator Danny was spot-on with fetching and landing the trusses.  He had to move the crane truck a number of times for placement of the frames.  The trusses are bull strong when secured but have much lateral motion without the rat run in place.  We had to work with "loose" trusses for a few minutes when the plywood supply ran low and the frames just kept coming.

All in all, great work by the edge crew, top crew, ground crew and everyone who supplied us with nails, spacers, 2X6 bracing and plywood.  Next steps: more bracing and then roof strapping.

Start  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:00:29 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
An amazing amount of work done.
I apologize if my previous post seemed offensive or belittling, was meant more as cheerleading, did not realize how much was planned.  ???
Again, I'd hire you guys in an instant if needed.
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
Paul, I was a little short. I guess the easy part was the crane lifting the trusses into place. I hoped after I said it we didn't lose a member.  I guess we didn't!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2015, 06:08:42 PM »
I wish it was easy as everyone said. I did a lot of climbing yesterday, and paid for it when I sprang fell out of bed this morning. Took some moving to get loosened up. But well worth it. And again, the pictures do not do this building justice. It is huge.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »
Fred and crew...just reviewed the great wealth of construction pics.
Outstanding plus!
Nope, won't quit the WW&F Fan Club. Youze guys are too classy an outfit!
If I ever get East again, I'll definitely drop by.

BTW,  while summer-working once as a C&TS Friend, since  a hardhat once  saved me  from a serious head smash by a carelessly tossed metal seat base out of an old rider car we were gutting, I am a DIEHARD hh fan.
If I donated some to WW&F, would you guys wear 'em?
Boy, would you all look miiiiighty official on Work Weekends, other projects, help raise public awareness, not to mention hopefully saving clonked noggins.  ;)
At 2926's rebuild, my job was to put names and reflective tape on their yellow 'hats per BNSF suggestion; see their website.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:15:34 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
 Brendan, thanks for all the pictures, Stewart, your written review of all the work, and Fred, the information on additional work to complete the Car Barn. Thanks to all the volunteers on the truss crew for a task completed safely. I hope the BOD would look at adding insulation under the metal roof, cost for the material and possible longer metal screws.  Again thanks  
  Fred L. Kuhns

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »
No plans to insulate the car barn, this is strictly rain/snow/ice protection and not a heated building.  There'll be space for air flow around the whole structure.

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
 James, Thanks for the information about the air flow and no heat.   Fred L. Kuhns

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:18 AM »
Glad to see the trusses "topped out" properly.
Having been there and done that (without getting a T-shirt)THANKS

Is there plans to make some of the "rat run" area cold storage?
Looks to be about 16' X 100' of usable space. 

Andre Anderson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2015, 01:41:10 AM »
Carl,

I would be very hesitant to use it for storage as the trusses were not designed for that, if the engineer did not know that you wanted storage there he would not have added the weight capacity for that. Using it for storage is a slippery slope, you put one thing up there and then two or three more items and soon you have exceeded the capacity of the trusses, you get a good snow storm and the next thing you know the roof caves in on the rolling stock.

Andre

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2015, 06:56:09 AM »
As the roof goes up we plan to put in transparent panels for light.  So I'm hopeful that once the bracing all gets in, we can take out the plywood.  With the plywood there the center will be very dark, which defeats the purpose of the transparent panels.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
Plywood is permanent for stability.  It will only block light from the upper portion of the middle track.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Mike

Isn't plywood rather expensive just for stabilizers?

Will there be artificial light in the building at all? Power points?

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
By the way make sure the screens on the side keep out birds
Just sayin'