Author Topic: Narrow gauge Beyer-Garratt available  (Read 7173 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Narrow gauge Beyer-Garratt available
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Narrow gauge Beyer-Garratt available has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
Imagine this monster coming out of the fog at Alna Center...I'll let Wayne tell the story 

Wayne Laepple replied:
A similar locomotive is apparently available in Australia. Seems the Puffing Billy Railway, a 30-inch gage preserved railway near Melbourne, acquired a South African Railways NGG-16 2-6-2+2-6-2 with the plan of regauging it from 24-inch to 30-inch. That turned out to be a much more expensive proposition than first thought, so now they got it and it needs a new home. The Welsh Highland Railway in Wales might be a possibility, as they have four of these, with two currently in service. As Steve said, imagine one of these looming out of the fog at Alna Center!

James Patten replied:
I've had a dream of having a Beyer-Garratt at the museum, but the purist in me tells me no.  Certainly one of those engines would haul a train consisting of every Maine two foot gauge car left without much effort.

Wayne Laepple replied:
These things are real track-squashers, weighing well over 100 tons! I'm not sure our 60-pound rail would stand up all that well under such weight.

Dana Deering replied:
How fast was the big one going when it hit the little one?

Joe Fox replied:
Ha Ha Dana. That made me chuckle.

Joe

Glenn Christensen replied:
Hi Wayne,

Actually they're not as bad as you would think.  The book "24 Inches Apart" by Sydney Moir contains the SAR spec sheets and shows the NGG16 class locos weighing in at about 62 tons.  Spread that over the 6 driving axles and that works out to about 10 tons load per axle.  Allowing for the two sets of pilot and trailing wheels, the driver axles probably don't max out much over 8 tons of load.  This is only about a ton per axle load more than the 2-8-2 "Kalaharis" and a good deal less than the 10 to 12 ton axle load on B&SR #7, #8 and SR&RL #10.

OK, I promise, my math is done for the day.  (That's what I get for being in banking.)  I'll leave it to you and the other guys to figure out how many MTF cars you could pull up "The Mountain" with 21,000+ pounds of tractive effort ... and how much it would cost to ship 62 tons of locomotive from Australia ...

Grins and Best Regards,
Glenn

Stephen Hussar replied:
In all seriousness, I can't help but wonder if there is a rail preservation group in South Africa dying to repatriate this engine...

sgprailfan replied:
If you think that is some thing, well this might be more the right speed.http://www.multipowerinternational.com/narrowsale.html

Ira Schreiber replied:
This has been my dream locomotive for many years, a 24" real live Garratt.
There is one in the U.S., near Houston, Texas. I have never seen it and I don't know the wheel arrangement.
They are, in fact, very light on the axels and our rail is no problem, as has been shown.
Dream on, but...............................................

Ira Schreiber replied:
Check thHexaplex Delurium.
Updated: 5 Aug 2004

Since its first opening, this page has carried the following reassuring message:
"Calm yourselves. These locomotives are wholly imaginary, and not (I hope) serious projects."

However... I have now uncovered a real, serious, hexaplex project, conceived in Belgium. It lives on the Franco-Crosti page, which is here. This hexaplex remained only a project, but its planners were definitely in earnest. You only have to look at the quadruplex they did build...

The drawings below are shown here by courtesy of S. Berliner, III, on whose website they were found, in the Apocrypha section.
See these and other aberrations at: ~Berliner-Ultrasonics

Above: The BigBoy Garrett. 2-8-8-4 + 4-8-8-2 A mere quadruplex, but wait...

Above: The Bigger Boy. 4-8-8 + 4-8-8-4 + 8-8-4 With six sets of driving wheels, it's a hexaplex.

These locomotives would be suitable for moving the earth's axis, or similiar heavy freight duties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is out for a nightmare.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum