Author Topic: Want to buy a bridge?  (Read 3383 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Want to buy a bridge?
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Want to buy a bridge? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Mike Fox wrote:
Want to buy a bridge? Click on this and check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130052027606&rd=1&rd=1
It's cheap now but shipping will kill your wallet.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
We could definitely use one span to replace the iron bridge at Whitefield.
Transportation is no problem if we attack it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Two years to remove. Just disassemble into individual components which then fit into a pick-up. Many trips but low overall costs.
Simple, eh?

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Tom Evans and I have had previous discussions about this. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has an entire "graveyard" of old bridges that are free to those who meet their criteria - basically adaptive reuse in an historic setting. I'm sure we could find one of the type that was at Whitefield. We certainly meet that criteria. Of course, transportation would be our responsibility and we're a few years off from actually needing one.
Dave

Josh Botting replied:
I very much doubt that the old Whitefield bridge would live up to the current codes......

Mike Fox replied:
I neve thought that you could actually buy a bridge on ebay but somehow I found it.
Mike

Ira Schreiber replied:
I have been giving some serious thought on this.
First, I will be the first to admit that this is at least 5-10 years away, but...........
It is a 115' iron railroad bridge.
The present owner is in no hurry to get rid of it and would rather have it preserved.
Second, The Maine Army National Guard is now a construction unit and that includes bridges. There could be dialogue to get  one or two summers to disassemble and move the bridge to Whitefield. It would not have to be immediately re-installed but could be stored nearby on our right of way.
Seriously consider this as it could be a win-win that will give us tremendous national exposure.
There are no restrictions as to the use of an  iron bridge, only the weight to be carried and if it was a standard gauge railroad, our trains would have no effect on it.

Dana Deering replied:
How 'bout we cross that...oh, never mind...

Ira Schreiber replied:
Water under, water over.......
Just more dribbel from my never ending supply of same.
On a more serious note:
Are there plans to add the 6 lengths of rail this year to make up the shortfall of the 1200' goal?
Thnaks,
Ira

James Patten replied:
Unlikely.  We just got a couple inches of snow, so the Lumberjacks (they're lumberjacks and they're OK...) are probably itching to get out and cut some trees.

Stewart Rhine replied:
I hope the lumberjacks can cut off the TOM siding area before more snow arrives.  I'm looking forward to a better view of the siding grade.  I heard the crew just cut the trees off our sawmill lot across from AC station.  Should have plenty of wood for the fire during the Santa Trains.

Joe Fox replied:
By the sounds of the weather Stewart, the Victorian Christmas runs will be the same as the halloween runs. No snow. Next week it is supposed to warm up, and there goes all the snow. We have about six inches in Waterford. The warm teperatures are supposed to last all next week. I hope they are wrong, because I want the steam to hang in the air like it did last year. Talk to you later.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Joe, Thanks for the weather news.  I hope the snow stays around too.  There's something great about steam locomotives operating when it's cold, especially with snow on the ground.   Super photo ops!

Joe Fox replied:
Not only the photo ops, but not many railroads run steam in the winter. I have changed the lyrics to, I am dreaming of a white christmas, to I am dreaming of a white Victorian Christmas.

Joe

ETSRRCo replied:
In all seriousness though do you think that the railroad would even have a chance of getting to the Iron bridge? First you would have to get across 218. Then you have clear sailing until the Head Tide Cut. After that the fill on the other side of the road was obliterated for horses right? Then how many miles from Head Tide was the bridge. Once you get to the bridge how much further can you go? Isn't the ROW under a highway in Whitefield? Not to mention that is a lot of land that the museum doesn't own and would have to work out leases with? I am not a fan of leases and that is one worry I have with the current ROW. God forbid one of the properties that is leased now is sold and the new owner doesn't like the railroad. But anyway lets get to the TOM and the Mason wreck site first.

-Eric

Joe Fox replied:
If the land is sold, then we better make sure that we get the ROW so that if they aren't railroad freindly, will just have to deal with it. The road after Head Tide cut, is extremely low, compared to the railroad grade. I am guessing, it is about five feet, before you get to the road, from the railroad grade.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
OK. I started this thread thinking someone might want to see a bridge for sale on Ebay. That is the one thing I never thought I could find on there. I wasn't implying we needed a bridge for anything. Just wanted to share what I had found. And it was a nice looking bridge from the past.
Mike

ETSRRCo replied:
Sorry Mike I wasn't blasting ya. I was just asking if that was at all even possible. I would LOVE if the tracks could make it to the Iron Bridge. Really neat find btw.

-Eric

Mike Fox replied:
Eric,
I wasn't aiming it at you. I just wanted to state that it was out there. And I think a bridge that looked like that would be fairly appropriate for the location should the RR get that far. But that is a long way away. Trout brook is going to be the next big obstacle. But I am sure by the time rails arrive there, there will be a plan for a new trestle or bridge to span it. Hope to catch you at the museum sometime.
Mike

ETSRRCo replied:
Well if your at the spring track meet I'll see you. Living in New Jersey I dont get to come out as much as I want to.
Moderator, WW&F Forum