Author Topic: Finding the WW&F on Facebook  (Read 344024 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the WW&F on Facebook
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
Was there a cattle guard under the freight shed?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 14, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
Yes, the three cattle guards were still under there, had to explain what they were since many volunteers have never seen them.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 14, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
Start, I know what a cattle guard is, but how about a picture of ours?  Where were they located?
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 14, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
Hi Bill,

I'll get some photos while they are still outside, one is kinda bent up.  They came from Albees farm up somewhere past Alna Center.  They still have sharp edges on the points so I'm not sure if they will be displayed anywhere or put back under the freight house. Albion has a set which are in better condition.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:54 AM »
You know we've been around a while when "cleaning house" we discover treasures we'd forgotten we had.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »
You know we've been around a while when "cleaning house" we discover treasures we'd forgotten we had.

We thought the same thing when we discovered the water tank discharge pipe.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
Hi Bill,

I'll get some photos while they are still outside, one is kinda bent up.  They came from Albees farm up somewhere past Alna Center.  They still have sharp edges on the points so I'm not sure if they will be displayed anywhere or put back under the freight house. Albion has a set which are in better condition.

I have memories of rescuing one back in 1994 or 1995.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 17, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Regular volunteers will enjoy the Sunday evening post as it shows a clear way for a train to move to the Woods Track from the north yard.  Have a look to see why RED = GO.

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 19, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
regarding the north yard (woods track) switches:
if the north yard switch on the main line shows red for divergent, making the woods track now the "main line", shouldn't all the following switches show red for each selected, divergent track from it?
a close view of the pic seems to show the opposite. please clue me in.
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 19, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
Hi Kevin,

The woods track is just a spur that feeds the loading area in the n/w corner of the parking lot. It and the north yard are never considered main line trackage regardless of switch position.  Here's how you reach the woods track with a locomotive or railcar:

* Switch #1 - You are working south on the original mainline and diverge into the north yard spur at the mainline switch.  You will see a red target indicating that the switch is set for you to proceed into the yard. 

* Switch #2 - The next switch takes you off of the main stem of the yard track the feeds bay 1 and the run through track. Throwing this switch (shows red) gives you access to the rest of the yard.

* Switch #3 - This switch gives you the choice of accessing bay 2 or 3 of the car barn.  If set for bay 3 it will show red.

* Switch #4 - The last switch which comes off the bay 3 lead.  When it is lined for the Woods Track, it will display a red aspect.

As you can see, every one of the switch stand targets will show a red aspect when they are all lined for the engine reach the Woods Track.

Hope this explains the set up.  The best way to understand all the switches is to see them in person, we hope you can visit Sheepscot sometime for a tour.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:06:10 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
Tonight we posted an ad for the Fall Festival.  We are trying something new with a Tuesday "promo" post each week highlighting events at the museum.  Please share these with your friends for maximum coverage.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
To whoever is doing the period switchstand conversions, BRAVO!  These are relatively (?) simple cosmetic changes that add immensely to authenticity.  Hopefully, we can convert the entire railroad soon.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
The Sunday evening post is an update on all the fine work Mike Fox has been doing north of ToM.  The photos start at EoT and go north, the last picture features a surprise find.

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
I really appreciate that you put descriptions on the photos. Most people don't and you are left wondering what that was about.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
The Thursday post is an in-depth look at the Trout Brook bridge site. There are modern photos along with pictures from the 1905 Mason's Wreck.  The modern photos (from this week) show an interesting discovery at the south abutment location.