Author Topic: Finding the WW&F on Facebook  (Read 344026 times)

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the WW&F on Facebook
« Reply #510 on: October 02, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »
Alex, might I suggest you change the footer slightly as follows:

...in conjunction with (and with generous support from) the National...

Technically the funding is being provided via HAER. It is a grant that the Civil Engineering Department @ CWRU applied for in conjunction with NSPCB. Thus your proposed modification isn't wholly accurate. Additionally you have double the with(s)!

"conjunction" is defined by Webster as: the act or an instance of conjoining :the state of being conjoined :combination
    working in conjunction with state and local authorities

"conjoining" is defined by Webster as:  to join together (things, such as separate entities) for a common purpose

IHMO, this is an accurate reflection of our endeavor with all parties working together for a common purpose. We are conjoining our collective efforts to save the Moose Brook Bridge.

But you'll read more about that as you enjoy the story.... as a wise mentor once said .. "Patience, grasshopper."  8)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 02, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »
Regardless, my main concern has been corrected. Especially not knowing if people are going to read the full fundrazr page, or every story post. The key is to mention it at times when it fits, such as this initial post.

It is easy to overlook small things, which is why we are all here to help each other out. But sometimes, it is the unintentional small things that get people in trouble. (Things like where certain kinds of engines are restricted is a good example, but thats a good work weekend story for inquiring minds)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
Data that is provided by Facebook to page managers indicate that over 80% of viewers are accessing the museums page via phones or tablets.  The statistics show that if 12 photos are posted, the first 4 get the most views.  Likewise, if a news story has 3 paragraphs, the first one gets read the most.  Videos are another example.  There is a two minute video of #9 being turned and the average play time with phone users is 19 seconds.

The good thing about social media is that it reaches thousands (we have 4,800 fb followers).  The bad thing is that people view a post on average for 45 seconds to a minute.  The lesson is that news and/or stories posted should cover key information in the first paragraph.  If a series of photos accompanies an article, the best photo (even if out of sequence) should be posted as a headline image.  Cindy and I write news articles, check/edit the information, select photos and run them through photo shop, post the piece and then go back to each photo to set captions.  All the work is done on two laptops and it's a challenge to condense things for a viewing on a small screen but that's what our audience is using.   

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 03, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
Start,

Good info about our public and the viewing habits of the younger generations.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 03, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
The Tuesday post features photos of the Fall Festival and the Apple Harvest Moonlight Evening Train.  The Fall Festival brought 300 visitors and the evening event added another 100 so it was a very busy day.  Lots of work by many volunteers made the a day success.  See if you can spot our mystery guest known as "Gagnon, zee Moose Callair" Hint: The same person will be guiding track crews as we build new siding and mainline track this weekend.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 03, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
I am not finding the footer text on the Facebook page.  Am I missing it?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #516 on: October 03, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »
Hi Bob,

Alex is referring to the footer that will be part of each of the story postings - starting next week. Each week will be a different "episode" in the chronicles of the Bridge's history, along with that of the WW&F. I have seen it already and it will be very interesting and engaging. More importantly, it's designed to be shared with enthusiasts beyond our railroad - with the goal of raising awareness and funds.

Find me at the Fall Work Weekend and I'll give you more details if you wish.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 03, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
Start, thanks for the description of the process you and Cindy employ for the posts to the WW&F website.

It reminded me of reading many years ago about newspaper reporters being instructed to get the WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE and WHY right up front in each report.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 04, 2017, 05:33:22 AM »
I have seen first hand the reach that the Facebook efforts have. We have gotten several donations through the links on Facebook, from the 67 to the 21 Campaign, and now the Narrow Bridge campaign. These posts are reaching people we never could with our other methods.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 04, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
I am not finding the footer text on the Facebook page.  Am I missing it?

You are, I posted the text to this thread ...

Here's the footer text on each of the 12 episodes:

The Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington (WW&F) Railway Museum "Narrow Bridge Ahead!" Campaign (https://fundrazr.com/NarrowBridgeAhead) is asking for $50,000 in donations by 31 December 2017 for site preparation and erection of "Moose Brook" bridge to carry the Museum's reconstruction of the two foot, narrow gauge WW&F Railway across Trout Brook in Alna, Maine. The bridge, originally constructed near Gorham, New Hampshire (NH) in 1918 on the Berlin Branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad, is a historically-significant example of a Howe Boxed Pony Truss bridge, one of only five surviving examples of such a design. This effort is being performed in conjunction with the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges and the National Park Service, Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) program.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:18 AM »
The Thursday news post features photos of the Trout Brook bridge parts arriving yesterday afternoon.  There are large and small pieces including a set of metal signs describing the history and technology of the bridge.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
The first Episode of A Bridge Story is on the Museum Facebook page, and the series will run on Sundays for the next 12 weeks.

Our story starts in the mid-19th century New England … Episode 1: Mr. Howe and his Truss Bridges

Please "like" it, and (more importantly) share it with your Facebook friends and like-minded enthusiasts. Tweet about it too!

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
Good job altering the footer a little....!

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 09, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »
Good job altering the footer a little....!

No problem, it clarifies the funding stream - our tax dollars at work preserving engineering history.

Once everything is installed we ought to offer to host an NSPCB meeting so they can all see the restored bridge.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
The Tuesday 10/10 post features photos of the FWW.