Author Topic: Harry Percival Dedicated Event  (Read 3773 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Harry Percival Dedicated Event
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Harry Percival Dedicated Event has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Joe Fox wrote:
I think it would be a great idea if we could have an event, where special train are run dedicated to Harry Percival, and his family for all they have done to help recreate the museum. It could sort of be like Conway Scenic's birthday trains that they run, except ours would be dedicated to the life of Harry Percival and his family, since without them, none of this would even exist. Or if it did, it wouldn't be as big. Please let me know what you think of this idea. Thanks.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
How about a founders day type of thing. Jason and James know more of when the Museum was started or when Harry started restoring the WW&F. Or Harry's birthday.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
As Harry personally introduced me to the WW&F, I agree he should be honored along with others who got the project underway.
The world's first "preserved railway," the 2 ft 3 inch gauge Talyllyn in Wales UK, honors their primary founder with the "Tom Rolt Vintage Rallye."
Maybe the theme of the event could be to reflect on the history of both the old and new W&Q/WW&F operations.
If scheduling an additional day for this would be too difficult, maybe the annual picnic could be designated as the Harry Percival/Founders Day.

MikeW replied:
I think this is a terrific idea.  Harry Percival was there the first day my brother and I came to volunteer clearing brush just beyond where the new water tank is.  I also have a picture on our refrigerator of him in the Railcar with my son and daughter.  This would be a very timely and thoughtful gesture to the family!

Joe Fox replied:
Bill,

I don't think the Annual Picnic should be dedicated to him since that is all ready a scheduled event. I mean, make a new event, and have it on a weekend, near Harry's birthday.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
I think Mike and Joe have good ideas.  A Founder's Day event may be the way to go.  I spoke to Clarissa the other day and I mentioned your ideas to her.  She liked it and told me "yes, Harry started the museum and there were others who helped in the early stages of the operation".  Her point was that it is good to honor Harry but don't forget the others who have contributed so much through the years.   I knew Harry and I know he wanted the railroad to be the star.  He liked publicity as long as it helped with the cause of rebuilding the WW&F.  A founders Day, (maybe in the Fall?), would be a good way to remember Harry and the early members who formed the Sheepscot Valley Railroaders.  I think we should have a lunch for the members and then run special passenger trains with coaches 8 and 3.  The charter and long time members could give a narrative of where the railroad was extended to each year and what the operation was like at that time.

Steam replied:
It might also be a fine idea to round up all video sources and put together a commemorative DVD showing the creation of the museum, from as early as possible up to the present. Make it a souvenir or a gift to members or whatever.  Someone must have shot tape of the first work, and then successive stages of work.  I know I have some from the mid-90s, but others must have earlier footage than that.  What do you think?

Richard Symmes

Allan Fisher replied:
Everybody pushed me to get "Restoration Stories" on a DVD - which Steve Hussar graciously helped me with - but I have sold only 5 in 18months - and have sold over 200 VCR's  - I assume that most of my Railfan and member audience is either very thrifty or is not equipped with the technology.

John McNamara replied:
I suspect that both economy and technology are involved, as Allan suggests. The Restoration Stories VHS tape sells for $19.95, which is just under the $20 price resistance point. Further, people expect to pay $19.95 for a VHS tape.

In contrast, the DVD sells for 80% more ($34.95) and does not provide 80% more value. While DVDs used to command a price premium, most catalogs are now pricing DVD versions of various television programs at or below the VHS tape price. I realize that a limited run DVD is expensive to produce, but the preception in the market now is that DVDs should be the same price or cheaper than VHS.

Joe Fox replied:
I think that the reason why the DVD's haven't sold very good is because it isn't just about the W, W, & F, and others, like me, most likely had all ready bought a tape before the DVD came out. I have some footage of the museum, taken from 2000, to the present day.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Since we already have the great Restoration Stories program on "commercial" DVD, what if we assemble a Power Point presentation on the history of the museum.  The period covered would be from 1989 to the present.  We can take vintage tape and stills, add maps and narration and create a power point piece.  The guys at my fire house have made some real nice presentations with music and narratives.  The programs have been shown to visiting groups and put on DVD.  The work was done with no cost except the blank disks to burn copies.  We could produce a program to show museum visitors and play at train shows.  Copies could be made for the gift shop.  The presentation could be shown during the meal at Founders Day. I bet our computer crew could put a program  together.

Speaking of which - How about having an evening meal for the volunteers on Founders Day.  Harry's birthday is July 1st so we could hold it on the weekend closest to that day.  Special passenger and freight trains would be run and we would have an evening supper for the volunteers.  Charter and original members from 1989-90 could be acknowledged.  All volunteers would be invited to come and have a meal together when we aren't getting dirty working.  I think this would be a good time for everyone from the 18 year volunteers to the newest members.

James Patten replied:
A powerpoint presentation is a great idea.  It should be targeted toward visits to external groups.  See the Long Range Plan's idea about this.

A Founder's Day might want to be the last weekend in June, just so that anything we do doesn't conflict with Independence Day.  OTOH Independence Day is really the Founder's Day for our country, so maybe it is a good idea to celebrate both at the same time.

Joe Fox replied:
I have a lot of experience with power points, and have been told by every teacher that I have, that I am one of the best students at making power points. However, I don't add in any fancy things such as sound effects and things like that. If you guys would like me to make it, just send me the photos that you might have, either in person, or by email. The only question is, what do we do with the power point once it is finished, and how do we present it?

Joe

John McNamara replied:
Joe,

I think that would be wonderful! Here's an extract from the Long Range Plan that suggests some possible goals for a PowerPoint presentation.

The presentation of the Museum to the outside world has a spotty history at best. Our method of "taking the show on the road" still relies on slides and an off-the-cuff speech. Clearly this must change if the Museum is to become more professional in getting our message out.

Face-to-face presentations about the Museum to various groups have happened for many years, thanks to Harry Percival and his slide show.  This slide show still exists in its entirety, although other volunteers have created their own slide shows from their own excellent photos.  During 2005 and 2006, an up-to-date presentation should be developed, both for the computer (PowerPoint presentations) and for slides, with a script developed for it.  This presentation should last no longer than 30 to 40 minutes, thus allowing time at the end of an hour program for questions.  The electronic presentation can be made available to anybody that wants it for the price of mailing a CD or downloading a file.

Upon completion of this presentation (estimated in 2006), a concentrated effort should begin to visit every civic and historical group located on or near the railroad corridor that will let us show our presentation: Granges, Masons, Lions Clubs, Rotary Clubs, and historical societies to name a few.  Additionally, we can encourage members and friends all over the country to do the same.  By this, we raise awareness about us to influential groups, who may someday provide us with donations, services, or members.

As you can see, the projected time scale for this was 2006, so you still have a few weeks left 

Joe Fox replied:
Okay John,

So I take it, that it would have things such as a historical time line, and some points of interest along todays route. And whatever photos that any body has taken of Track Laying Weekends, steam engines running, and any ideas that can be emailed to me, or given to me in person would be great. Thanks

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

I have a masters in power point engineering, and also you don't know power point until you deal with the government.
If you need assistance let me know, I have contemplated this in the past.

Joe Fox replied:
Hey Josh,

If you would like, I can send you the rough product, when I get it done, and you can feel free to add, or delete any thing you want to the presentation.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Josh and Joe,  FYI - Roger Whitney has video tape from the 1998 and 99 picnics when we ran Monson 3 at the museum.

Joe Fox replied:
I have some photage of #10 during the Annual Picnic of 2005. I also have some night time shots, and that is about it. Please feel free to email me any photos that any body has, so that I can start getting the power point ready. I will give an E.T.C. (estimated time of completion) once the power point is started. Thanks

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

I have about a thousand pics, and a couple of hundred videos, less than a min, If you need any.....

Joe Fox replied:
Sure thing Josh. Pick out the best photos that you like the most, and send them to me. As the photos go into the power point, I will be sure to add the photographers name under the photo. I would like a few photos of the steepest portions of the grade, and Cockeyed curve, near the wreck of 1929 would be great. Note, this is for anybody who has these photos.

Thanks

Joe

James Patten replied:
Hey, I work for the Government....I can add great complexity to your lives and power points if you want me too 

Joe Fox replied:
Sure thing James. I hope to start tomorrow, if I get some photos in from some people. Anybody that has any photos of the museum, feel free to email them to me. Thanks.

Joe

fjknight replied:
Joe,

Look here for 234 of my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/FJKnight/WWF

Frank Knight

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

Videos don't transmit well over dial up, so I can put some on a disk and drop it off, there may be a couple of the cds from the halloween trains which I dropped there last month, for general consumption.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok Josh and Frank.

Frank, I will go through your photo list 12/8/06, Friday, and pick out the ones that I like the most, and use them on the power point. I have seen a few of them, and some are going to be hard not to add, but must be eliminated any way. That is one thing I hate about doing power points, is you can all ways find great photos, that you just don't need, or can't fit in with the power point.

Joe

Bruce Wilson replied:
Harry Percival said to me many times that he never wished to be known as the founder of the W.W. & F. Railway Museum. I used to tease him about this thinking that he was only being modest. As a teacher would do to a student, he looked me right in the eye and cited his reasons, among them being Internal Revenue Service (tax) concerns. His early efforts were the purchase of the remaining assets (as James has accurately stated elsewhere in this forum) and the resurrection of the Wiscasset & Quebec Railroad Corporation.

Certainly the Sheepscot Valley Railroaders and present day Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum are as a direct result to Harry's leadership role.

In my heart, I share a respect for what Harry has created and I remember his request not to be referred to as the founder.

Harry put up the money to purchase what he later found to be assets and one of America's oldest railroad charters. He and his early supporters decided to organize by having memberships. From memory, I believe that Charter Member No. 1 was Miss Alice Ramdell of West Thompson, CT.; and again testing my memory I believe that Edgar Mead was CM-2.
(Allan, please step in and correct me if I am wrong on these membership numbers and who they are assigned to).

I asked Harry one time how it was that he wasn't Charter Member no. 1 (I think he bought CM-3 slot) and he stated to me that he had all his money tied up in W & Q affairs and couldn't afford the $100 membership fee at the time the memberships began to be offered.

Harry had a property up in Somerville, Maine that he designed and constructed as a house, but set up with framing in one wall to be removed easily to allow for a certain Portland Company (serial no. 622) steam locomotive to be brought inside and outfitted with a provision for a pit to be created under where the locomotive would be stored.

I mention this only to point out that he was involved in many things (seemingly all at once) as momentum built in those early days. Among these were his regular visits to the Ramsdell farm to help Alice and win her confidence.

Joe Fox replied:
Thanks.

I must say that I wish I would have gotten to know Harry, however, I didn't, but everytime I go to the museum, I can't help but think about him and his family, and all of the stuff that they did to help start the museum.

Joe

Dave Olszewski replied:
Joe,

Look here for 234 of my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/FJKnight/WWF

Frank Knight

Thanks for nice photos on website. They looked great. I was surprised to see flood across from depot. I wish I was there. I just started volunteer there. I am not sure if I meet you or not. I have been work there since Sept.

Dave

Dave Olszewski replied:
Thanks.

I must say that I wish I would have gotten to know Harry, however, I didn't, but everytime I go to the museum, I can't help but think about him and his family, and all of the stuff that they did to help start the museum.

Joe

I wish I would meet Harry, too. It was good that he start rebuild WW&F Railway and spend $40,000.00 on it. We can work and have fun there.

Dave

Allan Fisher replied:
CM1 - Alice Ramsdale
CM2 -Edgar Mead
CM3 - Jost Wold
CM4 - Rick Bourdon - WW&F Treasurer
CM5 - Peter Barney
CM6 - Harry E. Percival Jr

Bruce Wilson replied:
Thank you Allen...

Joe Fox replied:
Dave,

I remember this past February, we got a lot of heavy rain, and we worked inside all day on Flat Car 126, and at Lunch time the water was at the old railroad grade. At three p.m. the railroad track would have been in three feet of water, and Cross Road became flooded, and then the power went out just as I was taking photos of the intire thing. A tree branch snapped, and took down the power lines across from Clarissa's house, and then we all went home early, since we couldn't see what we were doing. Talk to you later.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Bruce said it best.  Harry was very firm about not being called the "founder" of the museum.  I spent a good bit of time with him when I  worked at the railroad for two weeks each Spring and Fall.  Sometimes we drove to places along the WW&F and KC and he showed me landmarks.  A couple times he invited me to dinner at the Grange Hall.  Those were great experiences.  One time I thanked him for starting the museum.  He gave me the same response that Bruce heard.  He didn't want to be thought of as the one who founded or started the museum.  He wanted the railroad to get the attention. He told me that there were a number of people who had a hand in getting things off the ground.   I didn't bring it up again but a couple of years later, a bunch of us gave him WW&F brass lantern number 1 at dinner.  It was our way of surprising him and saying thanks without having some ceremony that he wouldn't like.  His smile said it all.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. Why not call the event W, W, & F Ry Museum birthday, and have it go to the memory of Harry Percival.

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
Or we could call it "Founders Day" which would include other early backers like John Christopher and Edgar Mead.

BTW- There is a photo of Harry with his brass WW&F Railway lantern in the Nov/Dec, 2000 issue of the newsletter.  Ten brass lanterns were made by A&W.  They were numbered 1-10 in our shop.  Harry received number 1 and number 9 was kept for use on engine 9 when it was restored.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok. But the trains can't be set up, or run in the same manner as the Annual Picnic, other wise, people would only show up for one of the two events.

Joe

Bill Sample replied:
Not to belittle all the effort of other members, I always thought of Harry as being the "heart and soul" of the WW&F and think I even mentioned that to him at some point.  To honor his modesty as well as his accomplishments, I agree that "Founder's Day" would be a good name.
I'm sure that at any Founder's Day event, various Harry stories will be told to keep his memory alive.
During one visit  a number of years ago, Sue and I stopped by and Harry was there, along with the Model T from Owl's Head.  He asked us if we'd like to go for a ride, and of course we said yes.  Think the track went up to the high voltage power lines or just south of them, and I remember walking northward a bit with clouds of blackflies around Sue and me but they didn't bother Harry at all. During that walk he metioned something about making sure that when the power line poles were replaced, the new poles carried the wires high enough to accommodate the future railway line.  Just another one of those things he did to help the revival!
Hard to believe he's been gone for almost 5 years.

Joe Fox replied:
I met Harry one time when we visited the museum back when the track went all the way to the northern end of Cockeyed Curve. I wish I would have been able to know him in person, but as I have said before, you can't work at the museum, and not think about the plans that Harry had invisioned for the railroad, how they are now, and his family. It is sad to hear that Clarissa isn't doing so well.

Joe

Dave Olszewski replied:
Ok. But the trains can't be set up, or run in the same manner as the Annual Picnic, other wise, people would only show up for one of the two events.

Joe

It will be nice to have Founder Day on other day than Picnic Event. Maybe it would on same month that he was passed away  or he start rebuild WW&F Railway. Does any Harry's children work there? I know his grandchildren were playing and visiting around there.

Dave

James Patten replied:
The challenge would be to do something different, that involves something other than trains.  Yes, we'd still want to run trains (of course!) but maybe a "founder's day fair" up at Alna Center to give people incentive to ride the train.  Maybe run the entire day with all the original equipment (9, 3, 118, and 309).

None of Harry's children are involved or really that interested in the railroad museum.  The grandkids you saw (probably back in September) were from his daughter's family from West Virginia.  She has something like 8 or 9 kids.

Jason M Lamontagne replied:
I think such an event is extremely important.  I agree with James- this isn't about train operation.  A nice dinner, maybe some dedications, so forth.

We need to find a way to show our respect for Harry while respecting his views (on founders).

see ya
jason

Joe Fox replied:
Maybe, at somepoint during the event, take the time, and have a moment of silence to rember Harry, and the others that helped start the museum?

Joe

Stewart Rhine replied:
James has a good idea about Founders Day.  We should run a special train with all of the original WW&F rolling stock pulled by engine 9.  Having museum history exhibits at Sheepscot and Alna Center is another good idea.  As I posted before, I think we should have an evening banquet where we can acknowledge the Harry and our founders.  A look at the years progress, volunteer awards, and future plans would be highlighted.  The dinner could be held at the Alna Fire Station hall.

Stephen Hussar replied:
We have been talking about a granite marker and (bronze) plaque honoring Harry & Clarissa. What do people think about an Atwood-style marker? It would be a place on the railroad where the locomotive perhaps blows its whistle in honor of ALL the founders. The marker could be set in place there on the first Founders Day, and each year the train could stop there for a moment of silence, or one long whistle, on the day of the event.

Mike Fox replied:
Nice Idea again Steve. I like it. At the stop a brief speech could be given for the public to know who everybody was and how important a role they played in getting the museum to where it is today.
Mike

Bill Sample replied:
Steve, I really like the granite marker proposal.
When we mention the founders, Alice Ramsdell is included.  I feel that some mention should also be made about her father (think it was Frank, don't have my books handy!) and his project partner (William Monypenny?) who were the first to preserve the equipment.
I remember Harry talking about his visits to the Ramsdell farm, where he'd help Alice with various farm projects as well as keeping his eye on the equipment.  She invited me over there back in the 80s and I kick myself for never going!

Joe Fox replied:
I know what marker you're talking about now. I had to remember, but I saw it on a map, and they called it Atwood Memorial, I think. That would be neat, but I still think it would be good to also have a founder day, or W, W, & F Ry Museum Birhtday, or something like that.

Joe

Bruce Wilson replied:
Older readers will recall that in our Country's history, we had Washington's Birthday as a holiday to honor the memory of our first president, George Washington. Citizens chose to honor Washington with his own holiday, because he was an extraordinary President and it was widely felt that he should be so honored (independently) of all other Presidents. With the advent of political correctness, we now honor all of our presidents equally, with "President's Day". By this process, we have lost our special recognition of George Washington.

To honor Harry Percival is an excellent idea. The suggestion of a whistle post to his memory such as is done at Edaville Railroad is very appropriate. At Edaville, the whistle (or diesel horn) blows twice "in honor of Ellis D. Atwood".

Harry needs to be recognized alone for what he did in re-establishing the Wiscasset & Quebec Railroad and encouraging a group of volunteers to begin the fledgling Sheepscot Valley Railroaders, later to become the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum.

A granite marker at the whistle post is good, a speech and remembrances of Harry at a dinner is also a good beginning. Regardless of what you all determine to be best in honoring Harry, please count me in as a supporter of your project. If you would like me to say a few words about Harry, I would be honored to do so. And I would look forward to collaborating with those of you who have have remembrances that you would wish to share. Stewart, I'd love to hear your stories as well.

James Patten replied:
I think a Founder's Day might be good to draw people in if it were held once every few years.  We should have several of these events that we hold once in a while, but enough of them so that we have a different one every year.  For instance, there was a Sam Sewall Day one year, before my time, where descendants of Sam Sewall were honored.  I'd like to repeat the Pleasure Island Rememberance Day every so often.  So if we have a few rotating events, it will stay fresh whenever it comes around.  A dinner for the founders one year, a dinner for the Sewall descendants another year, a dinner for Pleasure Islanders a third year.

Bill Reidy replied:
Would somewhere near the Humason Brook trestle be a good spot for the granite memorial?  Harry designed the new trestle, and it was built and the first train ran over it shortly before he passed away.

Bill

Mike Fox replied:
Bill,
I Like that location too. On the East side of the tracks just South of the trestle would be an ideal spot I think.
Mike

Joe Fox replied:
What activities would we include for the special events James?

Joe

James Patten replied:
Activities?  Other than relettering #10 for Pleasure Island Day I can't think of anything.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Mike,
Actually, I like the southwest side of the trestle. That is where I remember Harry in his favorite hat directing the Marine Construction crew. And I think it's one of the prettiest spots on the railroad (as built).
Dave

Stewart Rhine replied:
Steve,  Great idea with placing a marker.  The southwest corner of the Humason Brook trestle would be a good spot for it.   As Bill noted, Harry designed the span.  I saw Harry's plans in 2000.  He had everything drawn out, right down to the pre-fabed bent components.  He also built a scale model of the trestle as a guide for the construction.  When the Marines had the East stringer in place, Harry was the first one to cross it, walking from the South end.  I have the photo, (taken by Bob C.) of Harry crossing while everyone watched and applauded.

A special stop and whistle salute would be a good way to remember Harry.

The Founders Day banquet could include the power point presentation that Joe is working on.

Mike Fox replied:
Once again I got my east and west mixed up. That's what I meant but not what I typed. Glad someone is paying attention.
Mike

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Got 'cher back, Mike!
Dave

Steve Zuppa replied:
The southwest corner of the trestle gets my vote, as well.
Steve

Josh Botting replied:
I was dreaming at some point today on this topic.  A couple of years ago we did an event on the first day of spring.  #10 was run in the snow.  I think the steam is most beautyrul in the snow.  It would be neat to do an event with steam in a time which there is more likeley to be snow, since we can't depend on it for the Christmas trains.  So I am thinking the begining of Feb. or end of January, when there is real snow.  While it would a bit of work to keep the track open, however it would be a unique I think......

Josh Botting replied:
Oh yeah,

In addition I was thinking that the event should be on a day when we wouldn't normally run steam.  In order to bring the crowds of members, and public, as well as to make it a truely special event.....

Joe Fox replied:
If that were the case Josh, the engine would have to be fired up sometime somewhere between the Fall Track Laying weekend, and the Victorian Christmas runs. Then after the new year, the only time I can think of that doesn't bother the cleaning, would be from the Spring Equinox, to the Spring Track Laying weekend.

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

I think my point was to hold the event between the Christmas trains, and the Spring Equinox.  In a time when we do not usually run steam.

Joe Fox replied:
Ok,

But Jason said that #10 under goes it's annual cleaning during that time period. The middle of January, is when he said the cleaning process starts.

Joe

We could fire No 10 for a special event almost anytime- especially for one this important.  We can work it around clean out somehow- as we would for a winter photo day.

February isn't a great railroading month generally speaking- lots of fun though!

Joe Fox replied:
How long does the clean out take Jason?

Joe

Josh Botting replied:
If we put out a call for grunts, I am sure several of us would show up....

One day for clean out, and I'll gladly put out a call for help when I know the date.  It'll be second or third weekend in January probably.  I'm going to rent a steam cleaner most likely- does a great job.

This Saturday we'll decide if we're going to try to run in early January or not, and that will determine the clean out date.

In any case, I'd support a tribute event any time of year.  We should make it just as special as we can.

see ya
jason

Bruce Wilson replied:
The Atwood Whistle Post at Edaville was installed at a point nearest the final resting place of Ellis & Elthea Atwood. It was also at a spot where the couple enjoyed the view over the reservoir at sunset ("Sunset Vista").

The suggestion of installing a whistle post to Harry's memory (at Humason Brook trestle) is appropriate as this is a significant spot to his memory.

Prior to seeing the Humason Brook posting, I had been thinking that a whistle post at the Top of the Mountain might be another location to consider. In my opinion, a whistle sounded at the Top of the Mountain would carry throughout the surrounding Headtide area. Harry once lived in the red cape style home just north of the Headtide cut. It was his goal to have the railroad restored at least as far as the cut.

If this is to be the northern terminus, maybe a granite whistle post could be installed in this area...?

Joe Fox replied:
I don't think people will like the whistle being blown at the mountain, especially since some of our neighbors complain if the whistle is blown beyond Alna Center.

Joe

Stephen Hussar replied:
My thought was that it wouldn't really be a whistle post, but more of a small granite marker or monument. And that the train would only stop there and pay tribute on the actual date of the Founder's Day event, and perhaps only during one special run on that day(?)

And keeping the marker on the small-ish side and not having the spot become an everyday whistle stop, would be in keeping with Harry's wishes of not being the focus, while at the same time not overwhelming or altering the landscape significantly. (since there seemed to be some agreement for the spot overlooking Humason, that's still where I'm picturing this)

Mike Fox replied:
Steve,
Yes a small but visible marker in that spot would be great. Next to the tree line. Not a headstone but something like it I suppose.
Mike

Joe Fox replied:
It could be made to look like a scaled down version of like a Standard gauge milepost.

Joe

Stephen Hussar replied:
Joe, I'm afraid that any kind of vertical marker might stand out too much. I am going to start collecting images of stone markers which we can use for inspiration. They're all around, let's see what we can find out there...

Steam replied:
For years at Edaville RR the trains whistled at a wooden sign about half way around the reservoir. The sign said something to the effect of:  "Trains whistle here in memory of Ellis D. Atwood, Founder of Edaville RR"

Perhaps something like that would work.

Richard Symmes

Joe Fox replied:
It could work Richard.
Steve, isn't that the entire purpose of the memorial, is to have it stand out?
So people don't get confused, it would still be great if an actual date for this event could be discussed, because that is actually what we are trying to plan is a dedicated event to the founders, but a marker of some sort would be nice also.

Joe
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum