Author Topic: Buster Keaton  (Read 5422 times)

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Buster Keaton
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
While coming off of my chemo treatment, I had time to watch the original "The General" movie with Buster Keaton as the star on NetFlix.  One of the last movies that he made was going coast to coast in Canada and back on a speeder.  You'll have to search for it.  I think its on YouTube.

The original version of The General didn't use fancy replica engines.  It looks like they grabbed whatever and just added funnel stacks (still good).  By the way Buster was a big railfan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:31:00 AM by Ken Fleming »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buster Keaton
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
Ken;
Godspeed on the chemo treatment. I hope it works out for you!
Best regards,
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
I will echo Dave's comments Ken.

Glad you got a chance to watch that movie. I bought 2 versions of it. One completely silent and one with music in the back ground, like they would have had originally when it showed in the theater. One of the funniest movies of it's time.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
Ken,

I hope things go well with the chemo.  We will keep you in our prayers.

Yep, The "General" is a classic, always fun to watch.  If I remember correctly, Buster Keatons last movie is the one with the section car.  He was sick at the time and wanted to do one more film while he was able.  I don't recall the title right now but I think it was shot in color.

Stewart

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
The movie is The Railrodder made in 1965 by The National Film Board of Canada. It's on YouTube and is about 25 minutes long.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:22:51 PM »
IIRC, they did not add much, if anything, to the locomotives used in The General except maybe paint. I believe the line they destroyed was part of the same system later used for Emperor To The North Pole and later Breakheart Pass.