Author Topic: Whitefield Section House - Official Work Thread  (Read 73750 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Whitefield Section House - Official Work Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
Hi Fred,

Yes, we spec'd rough cut lumber with real dimension 2X4's, etc.  The only lumber that wouldn't be rc are the sills/stringers which will be pt.  Everything from the floor up will be authentic rc lumber.  As noted in the earlier post, the big push for 2015 is to get the car storage building under roof but I think we can take a weekend to do the grading and build the WSH floor so it will be ready for the wedding weekend.  I plan to get in the way help set things up.

Start

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
Dave,

Between the first and second switches in the North Yard. Probably the flat area just north of the access road to the new leach field (Mount Urine).
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, that area is where the three-way stub switch will need to be installed this summer. That first which is a right-hand switch, meaning the track from it leads right through that area.

There's plenty a flat area to be had; I'm sure we can fit it right in that neighborhood somewhere.

See ya
Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
Oh, I just got where you meant.on the access road to the Leitchfield, it would be just north of the track I previously mentioned. That works.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:16 PM »
Just daydreaming, but wouldn't it be great to be able to reinstall the section house back at its original location - of course with appropriate railhead and station along with it.  One can only dream...............
Moxie Bootlegger

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »
I like the Edaville reference in Mike's post. ;D

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
I think the location I am thinking will be best for visibility of train crews switching the car barn area, while giving a good spot to put the building. I think it may have to span the ditch, which a new ditch can be dug around the area easily while filling in the current one.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »
If the ditch becomes an issue, perhaps further consideration might be given to the originally suggested location, north of the water tank on the east side of the main line. Just sayin'......

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
John,

The house will be built on skids, so don't worry. It could be moved when right the time comes :)
I am going to offer but one additional point of view here: section houses aren't usually built in sidings or yards. They are built specifically to store the tools used by a section gang on a section of the mainline.

That being said, as the line gets longer, Sheepscot gets further and further away and harder and harder to get back to if you've forgotten a tool. Might there be some benefit to having a section house with a few basic tools and a hand car located up the track aways, perhaps at ToM?

Steve
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:48:25 PM by Stephen Piwowarski »

Troy Congdon

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 07:07:42 AM »
John,

(Snip)

Might there be some benefit to having a section house with a few basic tools and a hand car located up the track aways, perhaps at ToM?

Steve

In addition to the benefit maintaining and expanding the right of way, it gives a conversation piece to speak to guests about. If it were placed somewhere that was otherwise "boring" then it would be the focus point of that part of the train ride. If it were placed at the top of the mountain it could give the already non prototypical siding additional purpose. The section house could be moved to 218 when the railroad gets that far and the siding is reverted to its 'proper' alignment. This would again have the benefit if saving long rides for tools but also help quickly populate that part of the railroad to help catch the eye of passing motorists while providing a location for storing theftable display items.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »
I though we were going to use the small station that was brought back to Sheepscot from route 1 last year, for TOM for small tools. Not expensive items! Buildings have been broken into before. Not very often, but it has happened.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for explaining your proposed location.  I agree that the drainage ditch would probably need to be relocated in order to have a large enough flat pad for the section house.

I also think Stephen P. is spot on as well - the section house, prototypically, would be located along the mainline, not in the yard.  I do like Wayne's location, north of the water tank.

Any structure located at TOM would need to have all four walls, with a locking door; while access to TOM, at present, is via a very rough access road, hikers, etc. could cause mischief.

Dave Crow

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
The Prebles building is likely going to be used as the central hub for power and telecommunications lines to drop to, from there we'll send buried utilities around the campus.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
Wasn't there a section house somewhere near the Trout/Carlton Brook bridge on the Mountain grade?

That said, I like the idea of having the Whitefield section house somewhere on the Sheepscot campus, but we may want to build another section house at the original site on the mountain grade.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 12:00:41 PM »
I agree that having a section building elsewhere on the railroad is a good idea if your out on trackwork and have forgotten something.

However general idea of the WHS was to store our hand cars under cover.  So that means it really belongs on the Sheepscot campus.