Author Topic: "Luisa" del Huatusquito  (Read 6663 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
"Luisa" del Huatusquito
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
The Cordoba & Huatusco (El Huatusquito) was a 2 ft. gauge railroad located in Mexico's Veracruz state.  

Locomotive #2 (Luisa). a Baldwin 2-6-0 of 1902, survived the closure of the line in the early 1950s.  It was moved to Mexico City (Districto Federal) and placed in Pantaco childrens park in 1955.  The locomotive survived as a really cool, if shabbily maintained, play gym until it was repatriated to Cordoba and cosmetically restored as a public monument.

The attached YouTube videos document the locomotive prior to and during  its move back to Cordoba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvFsUZdbBKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxGloe_TBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwgbOWrIGjs

The C&H was a fascinating, 21-mile line that rostered 3 Baldwin moguls, freight equipment, and a full passenger train.  The line had steep grades and a bridge that was the world's second largest 2' gauge bridge after the Van Staden's Viaduct on the Port Elizabeth line in South Africa.  Video footage  of a train crossing this bridge can be found in this vide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbUK4922lE

"La Luisa" may have been the locomotive that F. Nelson Blount was looking for when he found and purchased 30" gauge FCM #12, a Baldwin  2-8-0 that ran on the Zacatlan branch during the same time period.  This locomotive was restored to operation in Virginia City, MT.

Here is a photo of La Luisa today.

Enjoy!
Glenn
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:54:00 AM by Glenn Christensen »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: "Luisa" del Huatusquito
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
That trailer in the 3rd video had 16 tires!  Must be fun to replace a flat on the inner set, they are all really close together.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
Thank you, Glenn for the neat pics. Maybe the folks up in Phillips should go for a raid down Mexico way! That engine looks like a great start for a Sandy River mogul.
I actually got to ride that 30" #12 out in Montana, about 8-10 years ago. My father-in-law lives about 15 miles from Virginia City, which is to say, the middle of no where. We were out there for a visit and my f-I-l mentioned they had an operating steam locomotive down the road. As on previous trips, I had seen the dilapidated and burned carcass of the Alder Gulch Railway in Nevada City, (a mile or two from Virginia City) I didn't put much stock in his news. When we took a ride down that way, I was very pleased to see that delightful outside framed jewel in steam! We purchased tickets and managed to talk our way into the cab. It was very close quarters. The engine is deckless, with the back of the firebox flush with the back wall of the cab. They were firing her with used motor oil. My youngest son and I, along with two other fellows and the engineer and fireman found places on the tender deck and on top of the tender to ride! I found it interesting that the fireman filled the boiler to the very top of the glass prior to departure. Maybe that was on account the steep grades (maybe 5%?). Anyway, she was a neat little hog! On the trip back, my f-I-l rode in (or around) the cab with my son. I rode back in the train (old 4 wheeled side dump cars) with my wife and other son. I think there were four cars and the slack action was spectacular!

I think the engine is currently out of service, in need of major boiler work. Too bad, hope they have good luck.

John

Bruce Mohn

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
Hi John:

Yes, Alder Gulch #12 is down for boiler work.  I was surprised at how little run time they got out of her.  I had thought they had done a very thorough overhaul, but maybe not.  AG is looking for funds to rebuild her last I looked.

Bruce

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
You're welcome, John!

I used to crawl all over FCM #12 while she was at Edaville.  She is a sweet little hog.  I understand Mr. Blount originally purchased her with the intent of rebuilding her for use at Edaville, but her wheelbase was too long for their curves and she was really too big for their use (except at Christmas time.)

I'd love to visit her when she's running.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Tom Casper

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Ry.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

Yes, Alder Gulch #12 is down for boiler work.  I was surprised at how little run time they got out of her.  I had thought they had done a very thorough overhaul, but maybe not.  AG is looking for funds to rebuild her last I looked.  Bruce

Bruce, I thought I read that #12 was done before the new 15 year rule and had to be re-certified because of that.

Tom C.
Later:
tom_srclry_com